Why become a member? ×

Metallica's ...And Justice For All remastered

JimBobTTD

On 07/09/2018 at 08:43, JimBobTTD said:

Sadly, the version of Dyers Eve that has been put on YouTube sounds very much like the one on the album, so we can expect that it will not suddenly be a basstastic LP. 

Still, I feel giddy like a little boy. This was the album that got me hooked on Metallica, and it was Metallica that made me pick up the guitar and bass. 

More info: https://www.guitarworld.com/news/metallica-announce-definitive-and-justice-for-all-reissue

where's the bass... again :(

On 08/09/2018 at 16:53, Chris2112 said:

I hate to prescribe what a bassist should do but in the instance of Metallica, having a solid pick-player was the perfect tonic to lock everything together both on record and on stage. 

I couldn't agree more.  I am a bit of Cliff Burton fan boy, but Jason was and always will be Metallica's de facto bassist.

11 hours ago, arthurhenry said:

I understood what they were going for and it was an evolution in their sound.

Yes. So was Death Magnetic. An album where not only was there very little bass guitar, it also reached peak Metallica idiocy of a hyper crushed, virtually unlistenable static in places.

However, if you know why someone would destroy 2 surprisingly decent albums with that, you're certainly more enlightened than me.

After all, what's the point of getting one of the best metal bassists to join your band if you can't really hear them? I'm referring to both Jason and Rob here. They're tools.

IMO, the rebirth of Prog / birth of Prog Metal, came with the whole Thrash genre, they not only enveloped the influences of Punk Rock, NWOBHM, and Prog, whizzed it up a bit, and came out with Thrash.

Some of the tempo & time changes in the Thrash era were nothing short of Prog worship. Sure, Metallica had their part to play in it (listen to "Ride the Lightning" & "Master of Puppets" again), Cliff was known as a huge prog fan, but other bands of the Thrash era had their parts to play, the stand out band for their Prog influences were and still are Voivod.

Justice is my all time favourite Metallica album. It was my first and of course i digested every note on puppets and lighting. I thought black album was great and i enjoyed the following album. But like most have said they just lost their way and when Jason was gone it was over.

i saw them on the St Anger tour and they were good but last tour, I think it was roughly a year ago, they were not good. James delivers but Kirk was so off it was not funny. I totally love them and I actually really like Kirk but it just felt like he did not want to be there.

I really like Rob. I really liked his playing in Suicidal T. And I bought the first two infectious grooves albums. He fits in Metallica but they are just not the same they were in 91 and prior which most of us want them to be. Things just move on even Metallica