Why become a member? ×

Starting a new band

mic mac moe

Oh boy.

image.png.c2ad076443fb9c5a9494816561b40420.png

I take it that you are trying to get a new band up and running then?

I will follow with interest.  Blue has put up a few similar topics which have a slightly American bias - rightly enough.  It has become apparent that it is quite a different proposition in the UK.

My own plan for a (fantasy) band is a maximum of three (Bass, Keys, Drums) with a core of two members (Bass, Keys/Drum Machine).  All members get a mic.  At our age it is not nearly as easy to find candidates, let alone pin them down, as when we were young adults with loads of mates who were single.

From what I gather, even social media can't turn flakes into reliable band members.

I met a local keyboardist through JMB who could program drum machines and I thought I'd met a match.  It turned out that he wanted to branch into guitar more and took on a dominant stance that put me right off during the first jam.  Then there was the six piece band who offered me bassist but were practising too far away.  I felt it wiser to turn that down because I would likely become the flaky member who was always late or missing.

Edited by SpondonBassed

6 hours ago, mic mac moe said:

Holy Hannah!! How difficult can it be to pin down 4 people to rehearse?!?! 

It's a given that no money will be involved, and that everyone has different schedules, but this is meant to be fun, right?!?! 😆 

Spondon is right, my US bias makes it hard for me to voice an opinion. Money is everything over here.

Blue

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I couldn't view the associated YT clip - "not available".

Did you see it?  Otherwise I am not sure why he is posting on JMB because he seems to be looking for support engagements.

I was in the same boat but I'm now 11 months in with a brilliant and super reliable drummer.

We're a bass and drums duo playing original material touching the realms of modern classical/ambient/post-rock - ideally there would be three of us but quite frankly, I don't think we will bother with another member now because it's just too easy being the two of us.

We turn up when we say, let each other know in good time if something does come up, etc. No nonsense at all.

We're playing dates in France, Netherlands and Belgium in October and have a show in New York 5 December. It's been a great experience.

Edited by thebassist
  • Like 5

Not clear whether this is for rehearsals only band or you have intentions to gig at some stage.

My current band has singer and guitarist in an Ozzy tribute band and drummer in punk covers band. I'm the only one in one band. Because of their commitments we can't rehearse on a regular weekly basis and over the summer we went a month between rehearsals. These were gigs that were booked from last year and we knew from the outset this would happen. We are now past that stage and block booking rehearsals thru Sept and in monthly advance to guarantee we all make it and have nothing else in the diary. Its  a Sunday 12-3 rehearsal with an hour travel each way for furthest away members.

WE found that if you try it on a week by week basis other things get in the way as the singer does a lot of charity solo singing events on Sundays as well. He runs this band and altho its all really down to him that he has other bookngs it was his suggestion to block book.

If you cancel the rehearsal at short notice you still need to pay for it. 

That might be the way to go with you guys.

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's been a nightmare for me, so much so that I've given up even trying to find a new band to join, let alone start one up. To be fair though, I'm only in the UK every other weekend, which makes joining an established band almost impossible. Got fed up of flakes in the end. 

1 hour ago, thebassist said:

I was in the same boat but I'm now 11 months in with a brilliant and super reliable drummer.

We're a bass and drums duo playing original material touching the realms of modern classical/ambient/post-rock - ideally there would be three of us but quite frankly, I don't think we will bother with another member now because it's just too easy being the two of us.

We turn up when we say, let each other know in good time if something does come up, etc. No nonsense at all.

We're playing dates in France, Netherlands and Belgium in October and have a show in New York 5 December. It's been a great experience.

I'd like to hear that!

We considered doing the bass/drums/tech thing but opted for a 3 piece in the end. I honestly can't imagine wanting to go bigger than that ever again... way too much of a pain in the arris!

25 minutes ago, NickD said:

I'd like to hear that!

We considered doing the bass/drums/tech thing but opted for a 3 piece in the end. I honestly can't imagine wanting to go bigger than that ever again... way too much of a pain in the arris!

Here we are mate - it's definitely not to everyone's tastes!

https://minuspilots.bandcamp.com/album/seeking-the-spheres

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mic mac moe said:

Holy Hannah!! How difficult can it be to pin down 4 people to rehearse?!?! 

It's a given that no money will be involved, and that everyone has different schedules, but this is meant to be fun, right?!?! 😆 

And when you do finally get them all together.....

I'm so jaded by it I've taken up resting between bands for the last couple of years..

• Sad 1

Organising musicians is like herding cats.  Brain damaged toddler cats.  Thankless task, and you're a complete mug for taking it on.

For a new band I've always tried to get a regular rehearsal agreed in advance - everybody should be able to make one day of the week, and that becomes practice day.  the only time I've ever lived with a looser arrangement was the one band that agreed to practice every weekend, and we'd decide on the day and slot week by week depending on our personal lives and studio availability - rarely caused an issue and at worst we had the odd week off.

I can make allowances if people can bring a note from their Mum asking to be excused because of holidays or whatever, and I can be grown up around band mates with more complicated lives than mine, but I can't put up with band members who only want to turn up as and when they fancy it (and then usually get annoyed when not everybody can make the day that they want to do).  I put up for far too long with one lead guitarist (isn't it always) who was always late, and thought it was unreasonable for the rest of us, who had all come straight from work, skipped an evening meal, and gone well out of our way to get to practice on time every week, to expect him to come straight to practice without him going home, getting changed, take the girlfriend shopping, cook and eat his tea, before setting off for the studio.  It didn't help his cause when we were thinking of sacking him.

If you can't get four people to agree on one day then some of them probably aren't worth bothering with because clearly they aren't going to commit to actually being in the band on a regular basis...just wait until you try and book gigs...

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Monkey Steve said:

Organising musicians is like herding cats.  Brain damaged toddler cats.  Thankless task, and you're a complete mug for taking it on.

For a new band I've always tried to get a regular rehearsal agreed in advance - everybody should be able to make one day of the week, and that becomes practice day.  the only time I've ever lived with a looser arrangement was the one band that agreed to practice every weekend, and we'd decide on the day and slot week by week depending on our personal lives and studio availability - rarely caused an issue and at worst we had the odd week off.

I can make allowances if people can bring a note from their Mum asking to be excused because of holidays or whatever, and I can be grown up around band mates with more complicated lives than mine, but I can't put up with band members who only want to turn up as and when they fancy it (and then usually get annoyed when not everybody can make the day that they want to do).  I put up for far too long with one lead guitarist (isn't it always) who was always late, and thought it was unreasonable for the rest of us, who had all come straight from work, skipped an evening meal, and gone well out of our way to get to practice on time every week, to expect him to come straight to practice without him going home, getting changed, take the girlfriend shopping, cook and eat his tea, before setting off for the studio.  It didn't help his cause when we were thinking of sacking him.

If you can't get four people to agree on one day then some of them probably aren't worth bothering with because clearly they aren't going to commit to actually being in the band on a regular basis...just wait until you try and book gigs...

Yeah, cheers for that, monkey. I've been trying as I've given up on the bands requiring a bassist in my area who seem to be 16-19 years old and into screamo metal. 

Getting folk to be available to practice is all down to work commitments (not me, I don't have a proper job) but you're right about the booking gigs side of it..... Dreading that