Daveox

16 hours ago, lemmywinks said:

If I had £300 max to spend on a bass then this would be my first choice:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/marcus_miller_v3_5_ts.htm

4 String for £237

https://www.thomann.de/gb/marcus_miller_v3_ts.htm

These seem pretty decent for the price. 

4 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

I got my excellent SUB Ray 4 for £289 but nowadays most dealers are selling them for £320 -300 though I see Andertons, Thomann and PMT Online are offering just under £300. All reviews I've read have been positive  and I concur. I'd say considering the quality of build and playability Sterling are robbing themselves

I wanted so much to like these. But the hot pickup issue really put me off. Apparently the new ones coming out with the headstock decal change have fixed the issue.

£300 pounds will get you a pretty decent used bass something that was once £450+ to maybe even £600 if lucky. So a step up in quality. 

• Sad 1

Well I bought a Hohner VI B bass for under £200 and that amounts to theft.  If you know your basses and you predate the market you can get insanely good basses for £300.  I've had 30+ basses and only three have been over that. 

6 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

yep I've just bought a Vintage V4 (new lefty) for £200 and more then happy, the finish is not as good as my USA P obviously, didn't really have a set up, but that was from new, but it's got a nice P bass bark to it and now it's set up plays just as well as my Fender Precision, a great back up bass for me

Yep, Vintage V4, and if you like a chunky neck, the Tony Butler version is excellent

• Like 1

Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated 

i just have one question/ observation.......no one seems to have mentioned Ibanez who do a lot of guitars in my price range, is there no love for Ibanez or is there’s just better with other brands. Noted it’s opinion I was just curious

Ah no, there is a HUGE amount of love for Ibanez :) but the price range (used) for the models that have the biggest following is likely to be north of £300. Absolutely worth the stretch if you can afford though.

I'll link you to a recent Ibanez thread in the basses section. 

41 minutes ago, Daveox said:

i just have one question/ observation.......no one seems to have mentioned Ibanez who do a lot of guitars in my price range, is there no love for Ibanez or is there’s just better with other brands. Noted it’s opinion I was just curious

A used sr500 is a very good buy imo. Ones in good condition can go for less than half price of a new one, I bought one last year for the price of a sr300. Speaking of which the sr300 feels nice and the electrics are ok but nothing special. Good choice if you like a very slim neck. 

The lower to mid range Ibanez models don't seem to be very fashionable at all, despite them being decent instruments. And they have poor resale value compared to alot of other brands. Shame really. 

1 hour ago, Daveox said:

My daughter got herself an Ibanez bass (not sure of the model) with a hardcase for £100. Total bargain, I've set it up for her and would happily gig it. 

2 hours ago, Daveox said:

Yes Ibanez is another serious contender.

To be honest mate at a 300 quid budget it's going to be very hard for you to get it wrong. Pretty much any of the basses mentioned on this thread will get you through every gig you'll need to do.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2018 at 22:38, Skybone said:

Any P/J under £300, especially a second hand P/J under £300.

My gf has a Squier P/J, bought used for just under £100. It's light, it sounds very good, and I've been borrowing it for my last couple of gigs ;)

I'd buy used. A Sire or a Squier Jazz or PJ would be good and versatile.

If new... a Squier Vintage Modofied series Jazz would be £300 or just under... they look great and are really cool basses.

Maple fingerboard and white or candy apple red body... yum:

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Squier-Vintage-Modified-70s-Jazz-Bass-Candy-Apple-Red/UBM

Ignore everybody.

Check the for sale section and see what is available near where you live.  I'm sure a lot of BCers will not object to a reasonable request to try a bass or two to see what floats your boat.  Then you can start the search with some knowledge of what works for you and de-risk the process a bit.

If you're near me then feel free to drop in.

• Like 1

On 08/09/2018 at 09:15, Twincam said:

A used sr500 is a very good buy imo. Ones in good condition can go for less than half price of a new one, I bought one last year for the price of a sr300. Speaking of which the sr300 feels nice and the electrics are ok but nothing special. Good choice if you like a very slim neck. 

The lower to mid range Ibanez models don't seem to be very fashionable at all, despite them being decent instruments. And they have poor resale value compared to alot of other brands. Shame really. 

Aren't low-mid price Ibanez actually made by Cort?  For my money Ibanez (SR) basses come into their own around the £800 mark, at current GAK prices. Under that, pound for pound I'd opt for Cort 's own basses over Ibanez 

11 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Aren't low-mid price Ibanez actually made by Cort?  For my money Ibanez (SR) basses come into their own around the £800 mark, at current GAK prices. Under that, pound for pound I'd opt for Cort 's own basses over Ibanez 

That depends on if you'd prefer the SR shape or not. I've not had enough experience with Cort's own models to say there better than similar proced Ibanez models although I have seen two Cort basses with tottally broken truss rods.