Why become a member? ×

Slap Bass Technique - 3 Simple Steps For Awesome Technique

HughRichardson

Hey guys!

I just published a new video on slap technique which I think you'll get a lot from watching.

In the video I break down the three need-to-know concepts of great slap playing into simple steps for you to follow.

1. Change your slapping hand position

So many bass players have trouble getting a clean slap sound because they use the wrong hand position. They have their hand pointing down so that the thumb runs across 2, 3 or even all 4 strings. This means that when they strike the string they unintentionally hit other strings too. Find out how to avoid this trap by watching the

video.

2. Slap with the right part of your thumb

When performing a slap stroke, aim to strike the string with the boney part of your thumb which is just between the last knuckle and the tip of your thumb. As I demonstrate in the video, for me, this is where the nail joins the flesh of my thumb. For pop strokes, hook the outside of the tip of your finger underneath the outer face of the string and then rotate away to perform a pop stroke.

3. Rotation is key

Arm rotation is one of the least talked about parts of slap technique yet arguably, the most important. Many bass players mistakenly say you should "flick your wrist" but the correct movements for slap and pop strokes actually comes from the elbow. 

4. Bonus tip!

Having great technique is important but, by itself, it will only get you so far. Bodybuilders can have the best lifting technique in the world but their muscles won't grow if they don't actually lift any weights. The same is true of your slap technique if you don't practice some exercises.

Enjoy,

Hugh