Why become a member? ×

Strymon Deco

EBS_freak

Yeah I'm all ears for this thing - I love what it does and can imagine it being a staple in any Cure tribute band or for anyone playing a baritone. The drive on it does sound great but I'm only going byt the demo's I've heard not first hand experience.

I had one of these and the flint for a while. I loved them both and regret selling them.

I LOVED the saturation on the Deco, I think I've got a video I did of just the saturation side, if I can find it I'll upload it to YouTube for you.

In short, at low gain it fattens up the tone and adds a little compression. I believe if you step on both stomp switches at the same time you can actually access a 2 band EQ for it so I never noticed any loss of low end. 

Sometimes it beat out the Hudson Broadcast and Smallsound/bigsound Mini I had at the time.

I enjoyed the Doubletracker too and could get chorus and flanger sounds as well as simple delays out of it. 

I really loved the saturation on guitar too.

ive been on the lookout for a Deco at a good price for about a year now. Some of the Bass demos of the saturation side really impressed me!!

I just snagged one on ebay so i guess ill get to try one at last :)

edit.

heres a thread i started earlier this year...

Edited by GisserD
  • Like 1

So it's here!!! 

And I really like it :)

It's not like any drive pedal I've ever played. Its character is warm and smooth. It compresses the signal fairly heavily above noon on the saturation dial, but in a nice thick gooey way. 

I'll try and get some sound clips loaded up to explain. But I'm initial reaction to it is that it's great!! 

as promised here's a very quick demo...

DecoTest.mp3

1. clean bass, Fender Jazz elite 5 with nickel rounds. both pickups, active mode

2. saturation at 50%

3. saturation at 75%

4. saturation at 100%

5. clean Slap

6. slap with saturation at 50%

I think it illustrates what the saturation does at differing amounts. Below 50% I love the way it warms up the signal in a really old school way. kind of like chucking a set of used flats on.

i'm working on a new track where i intend to use the Deco on the bass so ill post it here and you can see how it sounds in a mix.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...