Why become a member? ×

Help Fixing an Old Combo

Unknown_User

I've an old Ashdown 65W combo amp that died on me about 15 years ago (it's probably about 20 years old).  I stuck it in the loft thinking I'd one day get it repaired and since I've recently started getting into making my own pedals, I thought I might have a crack at it myself.

When it went it made a popping sound and then just wouldn't switch on.  I opened it up and there doesn't seem to be any visible damage.  I can't see any blown capacitors or anything.  There was a 500ma glass fuse that had broken and I've replaced with another 500ma glass fuse.

With the new fuse it now switches on for a second, but then the speaker makes a thudding sound and the power cuts out from the amp.  The fuse doesn't blow any more, but if you switch it off and back on again the same thing happens.  Light on, thud, light off.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing that?  Is it something I could tinker with or has it had it's chips?

Thanks all!

Edited by Unknown_User

Fortunately for you the customer service from Ashdown is one of the best.

If you contact them through here (Ashdown Engineering) or through their website there's a good chance they may do the repair FREE OF CHARGE!! I know, sounds unlikely in these times of shite CS but you've nothing to lose contacting them. Guy Model is the head tech, try to speak to him directly.

Witty username but I think you may have outsmarted yourself by using this. The mods can change it.

Thanks for the suggestion, TheGreek.  It definitely a good idea, although I'd be very shocked if they would repair such an old amp that's been out of service (and which I've already opened up) for free.

Sorry if I've upset anyone by calling myself Unknown_User.  The username I wanted was taken already and after 15 minutes I still couldn't come up with any better ideas.  So I settled for that.  I assure you I haven't signed up to cause a fuss.

On 06/09/2018 at 16:15, Unknown_User said:

I've an old Ashdown 65W combo amp that died on me about 15 years ago (it's probably about 20 years old).  I stuck it in the loft thinking I'd one day get it repaired and since I've recently started getting into making my own pedals, I thought I might have a crack at it myself.

When it went it made a popping sound and then just wouldn't switch on.  I opened it up and there doesn't seem to be any visible damage.  I can't see any blown capacitors or anything.  There was a 500ma glass fuse that had broken and I've replaced with another 500ma glass fuse.

With the new fuse it now switches on for a second, but then the speaker makes a thudding sound and the power cuts out from the amp.  The fuse doesn't blow any more, but if you switch it off and back on again the same thing happens.  Light on, thud, light off.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing that?  Is it something I could tinker with or has it had it's chips?

Thanks all!

Give us a shout and we will see what we can do.... 01621 857853. Your best bet would be to speak to Guy he's in Tues-Thurs FYI

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

Give us a shout and we will see what we can do.... 01621 857853. Your best bet would be to speak to Guy he's in Tues-Thurs FYI

Thanks for your response.  I will see if I can give him a call after work tomorrow.  I'll be honest though having not used it for 15 years it's not something I particularly want to throw much money at!

8 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

Thanks for your response.  I will see if I can give him a call after work tomorrow.  I'll be honest though having not used it for 15 years it's not something I particularly want to throw much money at!

Understood but if it can be sorted economically which nearly all of our products can then seems a shame to not get it up and firing again.