Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan UK tour 2019!!

ianrendall

I'm so gutted that I'm going to miss this tour, like others have said it isn't the band everyone thinks of, but it'll be one hell of a band regardless and I'm sure they'll do a fine job of performing the songs.  I'd pay that money just to see Freddie Washington to be honest, he really is a wonderful player. 

I, too, saw them last year at The O2 with The Doobies and they were good and Freddie Washington was on bass and I think it may have been Carlock, too. Jon Herrington did a good job on guitar but Fagen had seen better days and he's main vocal was iffy and being reinforced by the backing singers, but it was a nostalgia trip and I preferred this performance to the one I saw of their's in the 90s.

I have to agree with Gary (Cetera) though that The Doobies stole the show that night and really packed a punch.

Edited by Kebabkid
  • Like 1

....and in the absence of Walter, Jon Herrington cut loose a bit more, I thought.

You could could feel the grief and loss coming off of DF, and I thought the band were very slightly raggedy and shaken, in a good way. 

To me, SD songs are about alienation and being marginal. Read Eminent Hipsters if you find this strand of thought interesting.

That night at the O2, those qualities we’re back in the frame big time. It was the most affecting SD gig I’ve ever been to.

Just a shame I couldn’t hear Freddie Washington.

I think I’m talking myself into buying tickets!

16 hours ago, songofthewind said:

Saw them last year at O2. Last few times I’ve seen them the bass has been muddy and indistinct. Also, they lack a little fire these days. Puts me off going again.

Me too, I’ve seen them twice, the last time being at the O2 last year, both times were lacklustre performances, like they were just going through the motions, with or without Becker. I love SD but do be prepared to be disappointed, I left the last gig half way through.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Me too, I’ve seen them twice, the last time being at the O2 last year, both times were lacklustre performances, like they were just going through the motions, with or without Becker. I love SD but do be prepared to be disappointed, I left the last gig half way through.

Yes I’ve heard this. It’s probably the only time I’ll get to see them live though. They have been touring very heavily for years now, can’t be easy to keep up the enthusiasm and freshness for that long. I’d rather a new album to be honest. 

Seen them twice over here and was a bit disappointed to be honest. The band was hot (hehe) of course, but the whole thing was on half speed and it's painful watching Don stretch his neck to reach for notes he can't get anywhere near these days. I'll save the ticket money and put it towards Nearly Dan next month, sound better than the real thing nowadays, great show.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

Yes I’ve heard this. It’s probably the only time I’ll get to see them live though. They have been touring very heavily for years now, can’t be easy to keep up the enthusiasm and freshness for that long. I’d rather a new album to be honest. 

Yes, you have to go, like I did, just be prepared to yawn, perhaps take something to read?