Why become a member? ×

Elwray Basses - First Bolt-on 4 string

Guest Marcoelwray

3 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I saw a documentary that looked at Olde English timber framed buildings.

I forget the details but depending on the latitude of the forest the oak would grow more or less quickly.  This has a direct bearing on the density of the wood.  You could tell, by looking at the relative width of the rings showing the length of the local season for rapid growth, roughly what part of the world the oak had come from.  Wealthy builders imported oak partially for this reason.

Good point, and very interesting. I guess this is due to the UK being a wetter climate then that found in eastern Europe. So in English oak there may be a higher water content which will mean that when dried it's less dense, but I am only guessing here.

Also, where in the UK can we find prolific growers of Oak trees for harvesting for large scale production? There's a reason why products made from real English Oak are expensive - it's a very limited resource.  In Poland and Romania oak is much easier to source. They have more land space to grow it in.

Unfortunately you can't generalise when it comes to wood, every piece of wood is different and can vary in weight and density even in the same species, I was surprised when I purchased some calibrated Canadian Maple and calibrated Brown Oak from British hardwoods and the Maple boards were heavier!?! Go figure?? 

I was just going to say about moisture content as that can vary a lot even in dry wood so that will also effect the weight not necessarily the density........... 

1 hour ago, Grangur said:

So in English oak there may be a higher water content which will mean that when dried it's less dense, but I am only guessing here.

It was more that the lighter coloured rings were wider where there was a more favourable length of growing season.  The lighter rings are less dense.

42 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I was just going to say about moisture content as that can vary a lot even in dry wood so that will also effect the weight not necessarily the density

Density is Mass over Volume and therefore the weight (mass m times acceleration due to gravity g) would be affected in all cases since taking away the weight of the water affects the weight of the timber.    The width of the lighter growing rings relative to the darker, Winter season, rings wouldn't change that much even in kiln dried timber.

You would get variations within a locality too as you suggest.  If a tree grew in a less well lit or a less well nourished part of the forest for example.

I wish I could remember what that documentary was called.  There was a lot of fascinating stuff about really old timbers.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 2

Guest Marcoelwray

Whatever the science thread, I just made a new type of construction, "full hidden neck thru" . Not really easy to make perfect matching pieces with limited equipment, but, worth a try.

IMG_20190310_185651.jpg

IMG_20190310_185629.jpg

Guest Marcoelwray

When I said new, I meant for me, I am quite sure Fodera or someone else do the same system. An advice if you want to try the same system: add always 1mm for the part of the neck inside the body.

It will be (if I don't break something before) my first 6 string, finally. Good for @eude

And I have enough room for a 5 broadneck on the other (according Warwick specs) @Henrythe8 will be happy.

IMG_20190310_185623.jpg

Edited by Marcoelwray

8 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

When I said new, I meant for me, I am quite sure Fodera or someone else do the same system. An advice if you want to try the same system: add always 1mm for the part of the neck inside the body.

It will be (if I don't break something before) my first 6 string, finally. Good for @eude

And I have enough room for a 5 broadneck on the other (according Warwick specs) @Henrythe8 will be happy.

IMG_20190310_185623.jpg

Looking good.  I've considered that approach for fully hidden through neck in the past - but decided that it was WAY beyond my skill set.... :D

I raise my glass to you, sir :drinks:

9 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

IMG_20190310_185623.jpg

That's all very exciting, greta work mate!

Guest Marcoelwray
1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Looking good.  I've considered that approach for fully hidden through neck in the past - but decided that it was WAY beyond my skill set.... :D

I raise my glass to you, sir :drinks:

In fact, it's more easy than a normal hidden neck thru. I just messed up a little bit on the neck thickness, but the I did the 6er first because it's kind of a prototype, or at least I don't want to mess up the 5 broadneck. The neck will be more tighten into the pockets.

Gluing the other half tonight ! :) A shame I'm stucked because I do not have truss rods and my 6mm bit is dead... (And unfortunately I need money these months after paying 1000 euros of taxes and other house stuffs.)

Guest Marcoelwray

Getting closer... Need to work on trussrods routing now.... Then put the truss rods, glue the fretboards... After fin part starts, carving !

IMG_20190314_211632.jpg

IMG_20190314_211649.jpg

IMG_20190314_211736.jpg

Guest Marcoelwray
2 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Very nice. Wouldn't mind a slice of that!!! Looks big enough for two tops but I'd like to cut one right out of the middle.

550x180x18

1 piece available ! I'm wondering... Should I buy it just to have it? Is it possible to have a sort of GAS for wood? Like a "WAS" ?!?!??

28 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

550x180x18

1 piece available ! I'm wondering... Should I buy it just to have it? Is it possible to have a sort of GAS for wood? Like a "WAS" ?!?!??

I've got 'WAS' for that - if it was local to me, I'd buy it just to have it too!!!

I can't believe some of the wood that you have so locally to you  - I must try looking harder near me.

Cheers

Guest Marcoelwray
13 hours ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

I've got 'WAS' for that - if it was local to me, I'd buy it just to have it too!!!

I can't believe some of the wood that you have so locally to you  - I must try looking harder near me.

Cheers

I mean, it's just beech, a very common wood everywhere in Europe ! My supplier has just 1 piece, in stock, IMHO I think it's very rare because a burl of this size (enough to make a top) isn't really common. You can try my supplier... He has good prices, but Delivery is quite expensive.

Guest Marcoelwray

Carving is near from end. I have some hard times to stop working... Always doing more than what I wanted :/

Good news is the 5 is well advanced, truss, fretboard, radius, carving, deep mathematics (it'll be a 18.5mm string spacing after all so not so broadneck but still 48 at the nut)

long hours of sanding ahead !

IMG_20190321_211744.jpg

IMG_20190321_211753.jpg

IMG_20190321_211823.jpg

IMG_20190321_212332.jpg

IMG_20190321_212403.jpg