Why become a member? ×

Elwray Basses - First Bolt-on 4 string

Guest Marcoelwray

7 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It looks and sounds top class, @Marcoelwray .  There's nothing I don't like about it.  Are you beginning to love it a bit more?

I agree, it sounds really nice, great spread of lows, mids and highs without being brittle or harsh.
I also like the refinements you've made to the design too.

So what's your plans for it, are you going to change anything, or let it settle in? I'd vote for the latter...

Eude

Guest Marcoelwray
8 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It looks and sounds top class, @Marcoelwray .  There's nothing I don't like about it.  Are you beginning to love it a bit more?

A bit... Needs always some time, I don't know why!

Thanks!

There is a point near the end of every build where I start disliking my own builds.  First string play I am usually ready to chuck them in the bin.  But I know now that it's me and not the instrument.  Once it's properly set up (and that usually takes me a couple of days), so far, I've always been happy with them.

• Like 1

Guest Marcoelwray
8 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

There is a point near the end of every build where I start disliking my own builds.  First string play I am usually ready to chuck them in the bin.  But I know now that it's me and not the instrument.  Once it's properly set up (and that usually takes me a couple of days), so far, I've always been happy with them.

Ok, really like your thoughts man, much appreciated. I don't understand why although (the disliking thing).

Guest Marcoelwray

@Andyjr1515

@Manton Customs

@Jabba_the_gut

In case of guys, I just bought a little stock of wood for a good price.

15 tops (500x165x20mm)X2 (so 30 pieces, 1 top = 2 pieces) in Doussié (Afzelia)

5 tops (500x170x25mm) in Padauk

And one piece of floor wood in Padauk that looks like cocobolo, but that's for me, it will do insane fretboards!

IMG_20190213_171052.jpg

IMG_20190213_171058.jpg

Guest Marcoelwray
49 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Blimey! That really is a nice van full of wood - I like that padauk! What's the stack of darker wood?

The light one is the Afzelia. The darker ones (in the corner there's a bit of shadow) are Padauk but not yet machined.

By the way, I saw a Padauk piece like I discovered fire today .. I knew it became brownish greyish on sunlight but when I saw that, I was like.... OH MY GOD I WANT TO DO A METAL BASS WITH THAAAAAT !!!!!!! It is grey like concrete. Perfect condition. Can you imagine a fretboard like that?

IMG_20190213_155349.jpg

2 minutes ago, Marcoelwray said:

The light one is the Afzelia. The darker ones (in the corner there's a bit of shadow) are Padauk but not yet machined.

By the way, I saw a Padauk piece like I discovered fire today .. I knew it became brownish greyish on sunlight but when I saw that, I was like.... OH MY GOD I WANT TO DO A METAL BASS WITH THAAAAAT !!!!!!! It is grey like concrete. Perfect condition. Can you imagine a fretboard like that?

IMG_20190213_155349.jpg

Where do you keep finding this stuff?!!! It's fantastic!

Guest Marcoelwray

@Jabba_the_gut

I didn't take that one. It was outside, in "demo" (of wood floor). The guy told me that it stays a long time outside. I'm going to take a piece of padauk a throw it outside. We'll see. Maybe a UV neon could help. I've never seen that before. 

The padauk keeps all the figures and just become grey as a moon rock. I think I've looked at this picture 100 times since this afternoon. 

Btw, this guy was super nice and is in the wood flooring, garden wood, etc.. but he was really kind and I had all that Padauk for 20 euros. So, sometimes you just have to look at a place you didn't expect I guess....

Guest Marcoelwray
8 minutes ago, Manton Customs said:

Nice haul :). Are the Padauk tops figured at all?

That, my friend, I will discover it deeper this weekend ! Hard to say, finish is too raw to tell...

Guest Marcoelwray
17 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

20 euros?!! Crikey! 

The Afzelia was, of course, more exepensive…. But I have 5 full tops of Padauk + at least 8 fingerboards + the floorwood for 20...

Guest Marcoelwray
39 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Now you're just rubbing it in!!!

sorrrrry 😭

Good news is, I Don't need all this :) 

The only I got to picture right now...

IMG_20190213_233008.jpg

Edited by Marcoelwray

11 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

Fascinating!  I really had no idea that Padauk did this.

I look forward to seeing your further trials, especially ref 'fixing' either the grey or the orange, use of uv light, etc..

Edited by Andyjr1515

14 hours ago, Marcoelwray said:

That is brilliant! Fascinating colours, I knew some wood turned silver/greyish when exposed to the elements but didn't realise padauk did that. Thanks for posting this video.

I'm now torn between booking myself some sessions at the local tanning salon or buying Mrs_the_gut a sunbed.....

Looks really cool, I especially like the contrast between the top and sides! Shame the grey doesn't run very deep, though I didn't think it would. I imagine it would take quite a while to go grey like that, usually it just goes to a Mahogany ish colour and loses the brilliant orange quite fast.

Have you ever experimented with ageing wood with steel wool and vinegar Marco? It can give a similar effect to that grey Padauk on some woods. Basically it reacts with the Tannins in the wood and gives an aged look similar to wood that's been left out in the sun. You can see it on the neck (Maple) of this guitar I did a while ago, it's more bronzey, but that's mostly due to the finish on top, before that it was grey-er....I just tried it on Padauk though and it didn't work!

350065872_MantonCustomsEchoMKIIBarncasterTele(6).thumb.JPG.a6f5eadfcb5454da884940d2caa0cf85.JPG

Guest Marcoelwray
48 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

That is brilliant! Fascinating colours, I knew some wood turned silver/greyish when exposed to the elements but didn't realise padauk did that. Thanks for posting this video.

I'm now torn between booking myself some sessions at the local tanning salon or buying Mrs_the_gut a sunbed.....

Buy the sunbed ! BrilliaBrilliant.

@Manton Customs thanks, I'll try that too!