Why become a member? ×

Elwray Basses - First Bolt-on 4 string

Guest Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray
5 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Can you do a left hand conversion for Sylvia?

It's gonna be quite complicated... As my workshop is occupied by a new project...

Been to Marco's place yesterday. A very nice chap to talk to. We also had a very warm welcome.

I tried all his basses and, even if there are some slight adjustments to be done, Marco has real skill for building basses with almost nothing. And even if he is saying the opposite, he is a good player too.

His basses are not raw instruments, but very well done ones and sound very good in passive mode as it's his way of imagining a bass.

The 36 inches fretless bass has a really nice tone, but I can't play 36 inches scale anymore for medical reasons.

I guess it will be the Infinga 4 that will be touring.

• Like 3

Guest Marcoelwray
2 hours ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

They look great and sound great  Marco ! 

I so much wish to learn , like you say is very relaxing and also would love to build my own bass but I'll never know where to start .....

one day maybe for now I just keep playing instruments other people make 😉 

good luck with your venture 

Thanks.

A tip in 3 steps to start:

1. Watch "Restrung documentary" by Mike Enns on YouTube. You're following the journey of Randall Fullmer into Wyn Guitars story. Beyond inspiration. He also did 15 or 16 steps "how to build a bass". Must watch.

2. Buy some woods. I buy mine in France, for a decent bass with not Douglas Fir, it's about 300 euros.

3. Build your bass. It's easy. Making them perfect with a absolutely divine tone is your utopian goal.

That's about it. Tools? You need a router (you can find those cheap brands, 150 euros it's yours). A bandsaw is welcome but not necessary.

I really appreciate all your compliments fellows, but it seems that I do not have people really interested in the passaround.... :(

Hi Marco,

Your basses look and sound fantastic. It was interesting to listen to the one with the comparison with other makes, especially when you played the Warwick.

I have a number of German Warwicks including 2 being neck through. It would be great to get the chance to experience one of yours.

@Marcoelwray - I've got some big Jam sessions in future months - 24th November, 16/17 Feb 2019 - each with 30-40 musicians at and we typically play and record 20+ numbers (with vid as well) if we could time it for one of these sessions then I could take it along and get a good number of players to have a go and pass on their thoughts?

On 17/09/2018 at 11:25, Marcoelwray said:

@Grangur you're first so....

@fiatcoupe432 you're second. :)

Silvia, that's a shame I can't come myself... But, job and time...

augmented list : 

geek99      coalvile, leicestershire  (do'nt care where i come on the list, and can probably drop off in person to ....

@honza992 nottingham  (so it may be sensible to put him next)

Guest Marcoelwray
1 hour ago, honza992 said:

I'd like to take a look, though I'm a builder more than a player, and by the looks of it your skills are already up there. But I would give an honest opinion re build, fit, finish etc. 

I'm in Nottingham. 

Sure, more than welcome. But you're going to be most disappointed by the flaws in it :D though, if you are sharing your knowledge that's ok for me.. Do I put you on the passaroud?