Why become a member? ×

Elwray Basses - First Bolt-on 4 string

Guest Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray

I hate waiting... Good for a bass builder. So when I patiently waiting for the fretboard to be glued, I tried a piece which I didn't foked up, curiously.... I will spare a bridge, plus it's matching wood :)

PS: it's Amaranth, despite the brownish fade.

IMG_20181229_121246.jpg

I'd never heard of Amaranth  before, had to look it up, purpleheart. The brown is fairly typical in newly worked and will develop the familiar purple within a week or so.

I'm very curious to hear how this bridge sounds when it's done, I imagine very dark sounding transmitting little information between the strings and the body like metals do. Just a guess I've never come across a wooden bridge on an electric bass before, are there any others?

Very impressive work, that looks like a very difficult task but I won't be that impressed until I see those matching wooden machines 😛

• Like 1

Guest Marcoelwray

It will have brass saddles, I keep the main idea of the Warwick bridge... So in the "saddle holders" I'll come to insert a adjustable brass saddle (ordered from Warwick shop) this way it will be 3D fully adjustable.... I'm not convinced yet by a full wood bridge...

Guest Marcoelwray
47 minutes ago, Christine said:

I have interchangeable brass and stainless saddles on a Hipshot bridge I have on my Fender, they really do make a difference to the sound, the stainless is much brighter, I use the brass as I love a darker sound, I have to try wooden saddles now :)

And; titanium, aluminium, all woods types, graphite, tedur, GraphTech... 😂

Guest Marcoelwray

Looks really less classy now :( but I don't want to go for wood saddles...

When I'll decrease saddles highness, it will be less....... I don't know what.

IMG_20181229_215349.jpg

Guest Marcoelwray
Just now, Christine said:

Though body?

Nop, because I don't like that.. but it can be stopped by the body like some builds I've seen but Flamed maple isn't really hard and a Amaranth insert will be a little bit too much.... Currently thinking.......

Guest Marcoelwray

I don't like the fact of bending the string hard like on some Ritter's ...

This way makes more sense to me, but hard to get a perfect finish on that..

gallery_1_3.jpg