Why become a member? ×

Would like to try (Sussex) Godin Acoustibass fretless early models

julesb

Hi Warwickhunt, Well, I'm pretty much set on one as they seem to have the perfect (for me) mix of acoustic and fretless  sound compared to everything else I've heard. I want to try before buying just in case there's something that doesn't feel right. i.e. when I bought a Thunderbird unseen and couldn't believe how much they flip forward. I couldn't live with that.

I believe the earlier ones are lighter than the early A4s which I heard were heavier and have neck dive. I'm also interested in the older ones as I don't need a midi output and the project this is for won't really need the lace sensor, even though I can see the benefits of a magnetic pickup for other things.

I'd be interested to hear any observations you have though so please fire away.

Many thanks

Edited by julesb
correction

You've nailed most of the pertinent points Jules!  :)  

Be aware that even these early Fender shaped acousticaster basses with the long upper horn are still light enough that they have a tiny bit neck dive but nowhere near the later ones and tbh they are light enough that it is worth the price.  They do get a lovely amplified tone and 'probably' one of the better fretless basses for emulating upright.  They won't however, stand any chance unamplified in an acoustic setting but make nice noises when playing in the house and no other instrument to compete with.  ;)  

I had a tele shaped fretted A4 (mid period one with midi), and with a decent strap didn't really find neck dive a problem. Sounded great with Galli black tapewounds on. Sold it ages ago, but here's some pics to feed your GAS.

A4_1.jpg

A4_2.jpg

A4_3.jpg

A4_4.jpg

A4_5.jpg

A4_6.jpg

A4_7.jpg

A4_8.jpg

A4_9.jpg

...with the tapewounds....

godin_gallis_1.jpg

godin_gallis_2.jpg