Why become a member? ×

Fleetwood Mac (with Neil Finn)...

wateroftyne

Just watched that and can't help but think how marginalised Neil Finn is. 

Maybe I'm biased. Never been into FM that much but have been SUCH a fan of Neil Finn over the years. He's been such an amazing songwriter and musician, has a wealth of real quality work down the decades. Feel like he was really struggling to sing the male part there and just think his talent is wasted being a relatively bit part player.

I'm not the world's biggest Mac fan so I've never listened carefully to the original but that sounded fine through headphones to me.

The band was pretty tight and the harmonies sounded good.

It could maybe do with a bit of a tweak in the mix to make Mr Finn's vocals a bit more prominent, but it certainly wasn't a car crash.

Not a bad effort but Neil Finn doesn't have the attack and edge of LB at his best - mind you neither does Buckingham himself nowadays.  Interesting to note that he's effectively been replaced by 3 guitarists.

BTW, what bass is Mr McVie playing here?  In this mix sounds a bit woolly for The Chain IMO.

3 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Not a bad effort but Neil Finn doesn't have the attack and edge of LB at his best - mind you neither does Buckingham himself nowadays.  Interesting to note that he's effectively been replaced by 3 guitarists.

BTW, what bass is Mr McVie playing here?  In this mix sounds a bit woolly for The Chain IMO.

Godin Shifter of some sort.

Just watch this and Gypsy.  Neil Finn looks pretty comfortable in the role really and it'll no doubt help him to shift more Crowded House albums.  I know you probably all know me for doing the punky stuff, but Rumours and Tusk hold a very special place in my heart (I may have to listen to these tomorrow).

Still cracks me up that Mick Fleetwood still wears the balls.

Mike Campbell is one of my all time favourite players, and he never fails to amaze. One of those great guitarists who plays for the song, and can solo brilliantly when necessary. I think he fits in fine, and despite not being a FM fan I think they sound okay. Neil Finn seems to be doing a good job too. 

• Thanks 1

On 05/09/2018 at 21:48, scrumpymike said:

I saw FM at the O2 a few years back, the reunion gig with Christine McVie rejoining. My three memories of that night were: (1) how wonderful John McVie's bass sounded, played onstage through a big stack of Orange AD1s with FoH actually taming the venue for bass, (2) how uncomfortable Christine McVie looked and how woodenly she played, and (3) that the whole evening rested on the shoulders of Lindsey Buckingham ... he was an absolute fireball of energy and enthusiasm and he carried the whole damned thing by himself.

Quite enjoyed that, I’m a big fan of Neil Finn and i love watching Mick drumming. 

I saw them at their Manchester arena show a couple of years ago and had mixed feelings but I think this injection of new members may just reinvigorate the band

The lineup has a lot of potential.
I imagine the rewards are pretty good (a pension boost) and Neil Finn wouldn't have taken it on if it felt wrong in any way to him.
He pretty much does what suits him and if this didn't, at any stage he would have opted out.
I reckon Finn will continue to do solo things and maybe reconvene Crowded House between Fleetwood Mac tours.

Mike Campbell is a dream addition to most bands.

It wasn't great, was it? The vocals were indistinct (and Neil Finn, much as I love him, doesn't have the range, at least for that song), the guitars sounded underrehearsed and were all over each other, and as for the iconic bass part...sheesh, I've heard that done with much more brio by pub bands...

On the upside, Mick looked (and sounded) like he was having a ball, Chris McVie looked liked she would've rather been anywhere else...

Are they touring? If so, I've just saved myself probably £150... 😉

16 hours ago, Muzz said:

Chris McVie looked liked she would've rather been anywhere else

To be honest, I have never seen her look any other way.

I can listen to her all day long but I can't look at her face without thinking I must have left my fly open, such is the scornful expression that is usually on her face.

It's not her fault.  No more than it is Dr Brian Cox's fault that he looks smiley all of the time.

• Like 1

On 08/09/2018 at 08:39, SpondonBassed said:

To be honest, I have never seen her look any other way.

I can listen to her all day long but I can't look at her face without thinking I must have left my fly open, such is the scornful expression that is usually on her face.

It's not her fault.  No more than it is Dr Brian Cox's fault that he looks smiley all of the time.

Nothing if not consistent - looked just the same when she was Christine Perfect in Chicken Shack.