Why become a member? ×

Bass sawn in half & taped together

Jean-Luc Pickguard

10 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

Those views earn him an estimated net worth of $600,000.

Ok, so he's a rich nob..... there are plenty of those about.

It's just sad that we live in a world where people like this get more publicity from destroying perfectly good instruments than they would of the donated it to somebody who'd love to play it.

I blame The Who!! 

18 hours ago, HazBeen said:

I think he is a bit of a nob...... like many YTers views are all that matter.

I also do.

I think it's the stupid acting up to the camera and production stuff. Also because without all the after production stuff he just will not sound like he does if you were stood in front of him. I read before he takes several days production work on the vids and sound. I would rather he just sat down and played normally without the bs. But I suppose then he might not get as many views.

I suppose fair play to him if he can do all that though and he can actually play. So he has talent rather than other YouTube "stars" who have made money from having non, so to say. 

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Sibob said:

Branded a nob for no other reason.

To clarify, I branded him a nob for destroying a perfectly good instrument for the sake of a video.

Hats off to him for earning a living the way he does, that I have no issues with whatsoever, he obviously has a lot of talent and is making the most of it.

9 hours ago, Skol303 said:

Those views earn him an estimated net worth of $600,000.

That’s a lot of pub gigs by comparison.

That is one of my issues with new media, you have too many people earning too much money from “adolescent acts”, teaching our kids that it is better to make silly videos than go to university as silly vids make you more money.

I think we also need to distinguish between money and sense. Having money does not mean you have sense.

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sibob said:

Musician does well for himself by having fun.

Makes sense 🙄

Si

I said I think he is a bit of a nob. Anyone who destroys an instrument for no reason at all to me is a bit nobbish. Why do it.. does it cure diseases, give you special insights into how it is built, does it sound better?

It's a cheap kit bass, the body is barely worth £20 as it is. It's hardly a precious commodity.

As anyone who has tried to sell a bass recently will know the market is saturated, so one less bass at the bottom of the pack won't be much of a loss to the bass playing community!

A lot of his videos are answering the question 'What if I..? '

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

It's a cheap kit bass, the body is barely worth £20 as it is. It's hardly a precious commodity.

As anyone who has tried to sell a bass recently will know the market is saturated, so one less bass at the bottom of the pack won't be much of a loss to the bass playing community!

A lot of his videos are answering the question 'What if I..? '

Or, Why don't I... just switch off this laptop set, go out and do something less boring instead. Sitting at home, watching Youtube, turn it off, it makes you crude..

Why don't I.... etc.

34 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Or, Why don't I... just switch off this laptop set, go out and do something less boring instead. Sitting at home, watching Youtube, turn it off, it makes you crude..

Why don't I.... etc.

Is your opinion, that you are entitled to. 

No-one is forcing you to watch it, whether I do or not is my choice - no?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sibob said:

Musician does well for himself by having fun.

Makes sense 🙄

Si

Now I did say fair play to him. And I have nothing against him personally as such and I think he has talent! I really mean that too. I will even say his video are well made and he has a talent for that production side too.

I just don't appreciate his approach to the videos. The acting up to the camera I suppose like there made to get just silly likes and making money, they feel hollow to me despite the good production and his excellent imo playing. 

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

It was a hashed quote from Why Don’t You - an 80s kids programme ;)

I got that, I just don't like the way people bash him for doing something he enjoys, is clearly good at and is making a decent living doing it too. By my reckoning that makes him pretty successful! 

Some of his cheesiness can easily be explained simply by virtue of being French. :crazy:

2 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I got that, I just don't like the way people bash him for doing something he enjoys, is clearly good at and is making a decent living doing it too. By my reckoning that makes him pretty successful! 

Some of his cheesiness can easily be explained simply by virtue of being French. :crazy:

Oh my quote had nothing to do with him - I saw "What if I..." and heard "Why don't you.." and made up an amusing (not) quip about youtube persona in general.

You credit me with far more intelligence than I have.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2018 at 21:03, BreadBin said:

Italian actually so more gorgonzola than roquefort. 😉

• Like 1

I don't see any problem with what this guy has done in this video. Plenty of "pro" musos that have stupid/annoying on stage antics including destroying their kit all as part of their act and most of their fans will just think how cool these guys are.

The guy has got a talent for playing bass and making entertaining videos. Not everyone will like his content but that should hardly be a shocking revelation just like the fact that like everything else you dont like watching you have the choice to switch it off.

If his videos get even one more person interested in picking up a bass or trying a new technique, learning a new track then I say good on him!

• Like 1