Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird

neilp

You ask what can you play on. T’bird. The answer is probably anything, although it might look a little out of place in a folk band. When you consider the range of artists who used them, Entwhistle in the Who, even if he did change the necks to Fenders, surprisingly the Four Seasons back in the sixties, there’s YouTube footage of them, metal bands of course. Don’t recall seeing a country band with them but I bet someone here will prove me wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 2004 Gibson Thunderbird last year and absolutely love it!

It's light, incredibly easy to play, and sounds incredible whatever style of music I've played with it so far.

Having said that, it sounds particularly good within the context of the rock covers  band I play in..

There's plenty of definition and articulation from the bridge pick up and the neck pick up gives as much low end as you could ever need. 

The single biggest surprise for me though was how the T-Bird shape is so clever in its design which allows for such ease of playing, especially in the higher registers.. It's a joy to play!

As it happens, mine has the 3 point bridge on it, but that's not been a problem for me so far.

Until I got this, I'd never played a Thunderbird but now I completely understand why they are so highly rated by many bassists on here, and elsewhere.

Just my 2p worth of course..

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the EPi Vintage Pro today as I'm in the market for a spare to my Gibson T'bird but I'm trying to keep expenditure to a minimum.  Whilst the tone is certainly comparable to my 2013 USA model It does feel a bit 'overweight' by comparisson with the body being thicker thicker and the neck is definitely on the chunkier side. Not uncomfortable or unplayed but, well, not a Gibson super skinny neck.   Right now I'm in two minds but I suspect the wish for a spare that looks/sounds close to the main gigging bass will win out

On 16/09/2018 at 20:07, silverfoxnik said:

I bought a 2004 Gibson Thunderbird last year and absolutely love it!

It's light, incredibly easy to play, and sounds incredible whatever style of music I've played with it so far.

Having said that, it sounds particularly good within the context of the rock covers  band I play in..

There's plenty of definition and articulation from the bridge pick up and the neck pick up gives as much low end as you could ever need. 

The single biggest surprise for me though was how the T-Bird shape is so clever in its design which allows for such ease of playing, especially in the higher registers.. It's a joy to play!

As it happens, mine has the 3 point bridge on it, but that's not been a problem for me so far.

Until I got this, I'd never played a Thunderbird but now I completely understand why they are so highly rated by many bassists on here, and elsewhere.

Just my 2p worth of course..

You amaze me that you say it’s light. I’ve never played one but always thought they must weigh a ton, there seems to be a lot of wood there. I was offered one in a trade once but turned it down, was that a mistake!