Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird

neilp

So.... for many, many years I've had a secret, perverse crush on the T bird. Looks, sound, image. Can't tell you why, it's a mystery to me. I have 3 very very fine basses that I love and that do everything I ever need them to do. But still, the T Bird is calling.... What should I do? Get an Epiphone Pro 4 and lose a few quid when I move it on? Or go the whole hog and have a "proper" Gibson? Or resist manfully as I always have?

Help...

• Like 2

I too have been hankering after a T-bird for some time, however, that search has been hampered by the fact that I can't seem to get on with the narrow necks that all but a few T-birds have.

On the plus side, there's a Tokai T-bird incoming.

On the down side, I've not told the boss yet...

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Buy a used Epi, see how well you and said T-Bird fit together, as although they look/sound great they`re not for everyone due to the size and unwieldiness of them. If you decide all is ok, then splash for the proper one.

More specifically - buy one of the good Epis! The neck-through models will do you much better than the cheaper bolt-on ones - indeed if I didn't already have the Gibson myself, I'd be very tempted by one of the new vintage-style Epis with the Gibson pickups.

Personally I find the real charm of the 'bird is up the dusty end of the neck - the high notes can be wonderfully articulate. That, and the crushing, piano-like honk from the bottom notes when you get the pickup settings just right.

2 hours ago, neilp said:

So.... for many, many years I've had a secret, perverse crush on the T bird. Looks, sound, image. Can't tell you why, it's a mystery to me. I have 3 very very fine basses that I love and that do everything I ever need them to do. But still, the T Bird is calling.... What should I do? Get an Epiphone Pro 4 and lose a few quid when I move it on? Or go the whole hog and have a "proper" Gibson? Or resist manfully as I always have?

Help...

The thing is with Thunderbirds is that all the different models are all very different basses united only by the name and having roughly the same body shape, so they are not substitutes for each other. 

If you believe that woods, construction and pickups make a noticeable difference once the bass is in the overall band mix, then what you need to do is find out exactly which version of the Thunderbird is producing the sounds you like and get one of those. But be aware that both Gibson and Epiphone have a bewildering range of models with different specifications in their past and current ranges. A 2018 Gibson Thunderbird has very little in common with a 1960s one other than the approximate shape.

There are also this who would argue that the best Thunderbirds are currently being made by Mike Lull.

Choose wisely. You may regret it otherwise.

I have the Gibson Thunderbird, having briefly owned an Epi model, I decided I wanted the main model. It's probably my favourite bass. The thing is just so cool looking and has the most low end I have ever heard from a bass, to the point I had to use brighter strings!

I like the look of those Epi T-birds with the chrome hardware. if you like the look, I'd always recommend getting one.

Ok, time to weigh in.

I've owned about a dozen Gibson Thunderbirds over the last fifteen years, although none were 60s models.  While I'd say a couple were probably keepers, they were in general all great basses except for the NR, which took an age to sort out.  I eventually moved them all on as I moved over to Mike Lull basses a couple of years ago (see elsewhere).

As per BigRedX, please do not for one minute think that just because the Epiphone models look like the Gibsons that they're identical, especially as they have the Gibson pickups.  Honestly, this view turns my stomach, much in the same way owners of Rockinbetters (or whatever they're called) or Chickenbackers insist their basses play and have that growl like the real thing, because they don't nor will they ever.  The Epiphones are just copies and putting a Gibson truss rod cover on it doesn't mean anything...it'll still be an Epiphone.

Now I've got that out of the way (and relax), for little more than the price of a new Epiphone, you could buy yourself a used Gibson and probably recover your money on it when you decide to sell it on.  Just go the whole piggy and get a Gibson.

End of.

• Like 3

IMO you are quite correct to tread carefully.

I adore the aesthetics of the Thunderbird - and they sound just great - but as much as I tried (and try I surely did) I simply just could not get on with them for the reasons outlined elsewhere on this thread (size/unwieldy etc.) Also, a word to the wise, avoid models with the 3 point bridge like the plague if at all possible; it is the single WORST piece of bass guitar hardware EVER conceived!

If you really need to scratch the T Bird itch then my advice is opt for the neck thru Epi with Gibson pickups.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

As per BigRedX, please do not for one minute think that just because the Epiphone models look like the Gibsons that they're identical, especially as they have the Gibson pickups.  Honestly, this view turns my stomach, much in the same way owners of Rockinbetters (or whatever they're called) or Chickenbackers insist their basses play and have that growl like the real thing, because they don't nor will they ever.  The Epiphones are just copies and putting a Gibson truss rod cover on it doesn't mean anything...it'll still be an Epiphone.

Now I've got that out of the way (and relax), for little more than the price of a new Epiphone, you could buy yourself a used Gibson and probably recover your money on it when you decide to sell it on.  Just go the whole piggy and get a Gibson.

End of.

I've owned several Thunderbirds over the years including Gibsons, Epiphones and Grecos (and a Cataldo Fenderbird). In my humble opinion, the finest of them all is the current Epiphone vintage Pro. There are a couple of minor signs giving away it's relatively low cost, but in terms of playability and tone, it's marvellous. And the build quality is excellent. I don't see it as 'just a copy', but if it is, I'm happy to play the hell out of it and proudly say I play an Epiphone. Just as you are with your Mike Lull copy 😉

Putting a Gibson truss rod cover on my Epiphone would be doing it a disservice.

Bear in mind that I've never really got on with the Thunderbird Gibson put out from the 80s onward. It was always too dark and rumbly for me. And what happened to all that glorious chrome? Of course, to many people that model is the definitive Thunderbird so it's all swings and roundabouts.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar
  • Like 2

My go to bass is a Thunderbird. Having tried a few I think mine is the perfect one - Gibson studio. It has the advantages of the decent pickups bit also benefits from a decent bridge. The three point one isn’t ideal to say the least. It’s the only one of my basses I can never imagine parting with.

The Tokai 'Bird landed today, very happy with it... apart from the bridge... tail lift! o.O:swoon:

Yes, it's another Faker, but hey, it looks great.

Thought the action was pretty high, took the strings off & gave it a good clean, then noticed the back of the bridge had lifted (High Mass style bridge). No wonder the action was high!

Need to find an alternative that's not too expensive, but will look good & do the job required.

Edited by Skybone

I'm currently using an Epi Classic. It's pretty good, I like the neck, the quality is okay and the sound from the USA pick up when using a plectrum works for me. I have never owned one previous to this so also had to cough up for an extra long strap... it's definitely an around your knees bass. 

Let us know how you get on with it as I too have a thing about Thunderbirds, but the reviews about their weight and unwieldiness have always put me off (plus finding a 5 string version that is affordable - though I have seen one on Reverb so would love to know what you think before I decide :)

OK, think I'm going to have a hunt for something secondhand first, see what it does for me before committing serious money. I'm not one for the revolving door, as you may have guessed! I need to be sure before I buy an expensive one....Watch this space

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, neilp said:

OK, think I'm going to have a hunt for something secondhand first, see what it does for me before committing serious money. I'm not one for the revolving door, as you may have guessed! I need to be sure before I buy an expensive one....Watch this space

Very wise strategy ... the T Birds are on the left field side of niche. You're going to love it or hate it.