Why become a member? ×

Legacy Trace Elliot combo specs

Ajoten

Quick (hopefully) question. 

I have a Trace 715 SMC combo, 150W, which has 2 extension speaker sockets saying "min 4 ohms". However all the manuals I can find online say you can't use an extension cab. So can I or can't I?! 

Think it's from 1999 if that makes any difference... 

Edited by Ajoten

I think that the chassis for the combo head was the same as the chassis used for the head only version of the amp. A cost saving measure by Trace Elliot. Some of the units shipped with the extra jack socket covered with a plug to stop you using it. Still annoying though. 

If there is a 4ohm speaker in there then that's it, you can't add anything. Putting an 8ohm speaker in there will lose a lot of the tone but allow you to add a second speaker.

Some of these old combo's had switched extension speaker sockets, plugging an extension speaker in disconnects the internal speaker. The min 4 ohm warning would make sense if that is how this combo was designed. You sometimes see combo's where you can physically pull out the jack for the internal speaker and plug another speaker in.

If you did go for an external cab one socket isn't a problem, most cabs have two sockets so you can just 'daisy chain' from the second socket to the second cab.

Oo ok. Is the effect of running them in series the same as in parallel? I feel that's a question answered several times elsewhere in this forum... 

EDIT: Ignore that question, it doesn't matter. Just finding out I can indeed run 2 cabs from my current amp is extremely helpful. Thanks!

Edited by Ajoten