Why become a member? ×

Clean boost?

Bridgehouse

So, Shuker fretless upgraded - I now have a super quiet Preamp for the mag pickup which is under the fretboard. It balances well with the piezo and sounds fabulous either on its own or blended. There’s plenty of headroom at 18v and it’s a good mix. 

Now, the Delano Preamp has an extra feature I didn’t completely expect - active/passive switching. There’s no doubt about it, in passive mode it is a different sound - quite different, so the Preamp is clearly colouring the sound of the Nordstrand. (Not in a bad way mind)

Out of interest, I think I may like to use the passive tone, but as it’s under the board it’s some distance from the strings, so it’s very quiet output wise.

I doubt I’d use it live, but I might do in the studio. Can you recommend a clean, transparent, low SNR boost for it?

1 minute ago, Jack said:

The MXR Micro Amp is the standard. Personally I always used my trusty old GEB-7, leave the eq flat and just use the volume. But that's just because I already had one.

What’s the snr like on the boss? I suspect the MXR micro amp is pretty quiet - but not tried either so I don’t know ;)

5 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

What’s the snr like on the boss? I suspect the MXR micro amp is pretty quiet - but not tried either so I don’t know ;)

I'm perhaps not the person to ask. I think if you put studio headphones on, sit in an anechoic chamber and A/B something you'll nearly always find a fault. I'm a firm believer that if I don't notice something in it's natural environment then it doesn't matter. So on that basis I'd say it has an infinitely low noise floor and is the quietest and best pedal on tthe planet... 😁

Ooooh, I forgot about it, but I loved my Xotic RC Boost. That one really was quiet and unobtrusive.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Creation Audio MK4.23

Looks beautiful, brilliant clean boost, completely transparent, one of the best on the market

Not come across this pedal before, but that does look like a quality piece of kit from the specs online!