Why become a member? ×

Mustang Bass dimensions (for gig bags)

Sibob

Just got the Gator ProGo Deluxe electric guitar bag delivered for a different bass, with the internal bottom cushion removed it's 106cm long but looks like it would accomodate an extra couple of cm without deforming or overly stretching the bag. There's one on eBay with a £30 start bid at the moment in the Leics area if anybody wants to try it, the seller won't post (already asked before I bought mine) so potentially a bargain to be had.

EDIT- It just about fits my daughter's Tanglewood Elfin 30" scale with the bottom pad removed, that's 110cm including the strap button (109cm without) so looks like it would be fine for a Mustang. The one on eBay is here if anyone is close enough to collect, no affiliation to the seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125441368700?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=26&ch=osgood&euid=aa7176e6f8374551835eb96cd72a6bda&bu=43597808871&osub=-1~1&crd=20220731123002&segname=11051

Edited by lemmywinks

• 4 weeks later...

If you want something like a substantial gig bag, then apparently this case fits the Mustang (interior is 42.5", not sure about the width at the top for the tuners, or if this length is with the internal cushion removed)

https://www.gatorcases.com/products/guitar/gig-bags/guitar-gig-bags/gator-cases-icon-series-gig-bag-for-electric-guitars-g-iconelectric/

Wonder if anyone's tried one - they don't seem to be available in the UK but I found one here for £171

https://www.musik-produktiv.com/gb/gator-hga-g-iconelectric.html

• 5 months later...

I was lucky enough to get a Fender urban shortscale bass gigbag before they were discontinued. It doesn't give a massive degree of protection, but is perfect for taking a JMJ mustang bass on the back seat of the car. In a previous band I used to take my Squier SS Jaguar bass to the rehearsal studio on the bus every week in it.

I wouldn't use it for gigs where gear is chucked into the back of the van though - I have a couple of Fender mustang hard cases for that. Not cheap but I managed to get a good deal on each of them.

I recenlt bought this Thomann gig bag and it fits all my short scale basses just fine

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_gigbag_deluxe_egitarre.htm

It is a weeny bit longer than some guitar gig bags, at 112cm.  £27.  My problem was I then rummaged about to find other things to offset the delivery cost :D 

I got the fender short scale bag and recently wore my stang all around town for a whole day before a studio sesh in the evening (no way I was leaving it in the car!). Bag was fine, plenty of protection for carrying around and because it’s not a big padded bag it wore like a rucksack, very comfortable. I normally find big gig bags have straps that meet at the top which aren’t comfortable at all. 

• Like 3

On 17/02/2023 at 22:11, ped said:

I got the fender short scale bag and recently wore my stang all around town for a whole day before a studio sesh in the evening (no way I was leaving it in the car!). Bag was fine, plenty of protection for carrying around and because it’s not a big padded bag it wore like a rucksack, very comfortable. I normally find big gig bags have straps that meet at the top which aren’t comfortable at all. 

Just took delivery of a Fender FS610 Short Scale Bass Gig bag and it fits my G&L Fallout Tribute bass and my Epiphone Newport bass perfectly. It also is a cosy fit for my 32ins scale SpectaRayVibe Bitsa bass.

Happy Days☺️

Edited by JohnDaBass
error
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 21/07/2022 at 16:43, MungoBass said:

I took a bit of a £16.90 gamble on a Thomann Beat Bass gig bag (meant for Hofner violin basses) and can confirm a Mustang fits nicely!  The first time it was a bit tight around the upper horn but that seems easier after a day or two.

The bag has semi-rigid 20mm padding and can happily stand up on its own, so not at all flimsy.

If I end up keeping the Mustang, then I would probably buy a suitable hard case.  In the meantime, the Beat bag will more than do!

FF122822-AD3C-4182-A61A-70F7F071A61F.jpeg

30EF1EAA-D36D-414D-9B9A-9C2E749D638F.jpeg

Because I’m always acquiring more mustangs currently.

I picked up this bag and it’s a tight fit but it fits none the less and is probably the smallest bag you’re going to get for a mustang style bass.

I still prefer the Gruvgear Edge but this is a great low cost option.

Outside of that Sire are making a shortscale bag that looks a lot like the Serek bags

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

Because I’m always acquiring more mustangs currently.

I picked up this bag and it’s a tight fit but it fits none the less and is probably the smallest bag you’re going to get for a mustang style bass.

I still prefer the Gruvgear Edge but this is a great low cost option.

Outside of that Sire are making a shortscale bag that looks a lot like the Serek bags

I still have the gig bag…..but not the Mustang! 

• 1 month later...

I got a used W (maybe Warwick?) electric guitar gigbag for free when a local studio was having a clearout and it does a pretty decent job of keeping the dust off my Mustang around the house. 

Not sure if I’d want to tour with it, I’d probably want a hard case for that, but to keep it clean at home it’s fine. For occasional gigging I’d get a proper gigbag for it. I’ve got a Taylor acoustic gigbag that does the same job as the W bag but it’s a bit roomy. But for home use it’s alright and it was a freebie. I’m such a cheapskate 😂

• 3 weeks later...

Fits tightly in the GruvGear Guitar Kapsulite

I couldn’t find the Kapsulite Plus which has wheels, the website shows that would be too small.

But I’ve got a Kapsule waiting for me in the US which I’m hoping will be my 1 bag travel solution for long trips.

I’ll be doing several flights with this in the hold over the next few months.

The Thomann Beatle Bass bag was great and super light but it’s a nightmare carrying on on each flight. Even when you’ve got it on, finding space for it and then people dumping suitcases on top of it. Much much easier just to check and this was the only thing I could get in Colombia (Mono was more expensive and bigger). This is shorter but wider, obviously heavier but looks really sleek so overall looks more compact.

Will see how it stands up to my next several flights.

Not sure what I’m going to do when I buy a full scale bass again 😬

(Currently have a Gruv Gear Edge, Kapsulite, Kapsule. All guitar models and each with a Mustang in them)

F3FD6AE3-2405-465A-8513-F8320D81DFF4.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just taken delivery of a Thomas Beat Bass bag, and although it looks too small, my Mustang bass is a perfect fit in it. Much better than having it slopping about in a 34" scale gig bag.

Wish I'd had more faith in the recommendation, as I only bought one, but have two Mustangs and I always like to take a spare with me to gigs. 

Ordering another right now!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this. I don't necessarily want to gig with my 60s Fender case (maybe a thief magnet, and I don't 100% trust the handle!) and the aforementioned Fender Short Scale gig bag is very light and offers little protection for anything more than carrying around on one's back.

I went to Gear4Music in York to try a case which on paper fits the mustang quite well - my bass is about 42" from strap button to headstock (I think the reissues may be a tiny bit longer due to more body behind the bridge) but I'm happy to report that the Gator Icon guitar case fits perfectly. There's a removable cushion at the bottom which would offer extra room if you needed it.

I'll post a proper pic later but it's a great case, comfortable handles and straps, lots of pockets, rain cover, semi rigid, light weight...

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Gator-ICON-Series-Bag-For-Electric-Guitars-Black/5DL2

preview.jpg

preview-1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, ped said:

Just an update on this. I don't necessarily want to gig with my 60s Fender case (maybe a thief magnet, and I don't 100% trust the handle!) and the aforementioned Fender Short Scale gig bag is very light and offers little protection for anything more than carrying around on one's back.

I went to Gear4Music in York to try a case which on paper fits the mustang quite well - my bass is about 42" from strap button to headstock (I think the reissues may be a tiny bit longer due to more body behind the bridge) but I'm happy to report that the Gator Icon guitar case fits perfectly. There's a removable cushion at the bottom which would offer extra room if you needed it.

I'll post a proper pic later but it's a great case, comfortable handles and straps, lots of pockets, rain cover, semi rigid, light weight...

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Gator-ICON-Series-Bag-For-Electric-Guitars-Black/5DL2

preview.jpg

preview-1.jpg

Thanks, these look really impressive.  There's quite a selection in the Icon range too, including a bag for 335 type guitars, so something for wider bodied short-scale basses (always problematic in my experience).  The Icon bass-specific case appears to come in at around £150 too - pretty competitive for a premium bag

Edited by three
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, geoff90guitar said:

Too expensive me

Yeah it’s not cheap but I couldn’t find one cheaper that fits and has the semi hardcase build. ESP do one which looks similar but it only has one shoulder strap. 

IMG_6488.jpeg

IMG_6489.jpeg

IMG_6490.jpeg

IMG_6491.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ped said:

ESP do one which looks similar but it only has one shoulder strap. 

One shoulder strap appeals to me. I can’t seem to find any site that gives the dimensions, unfortunately and I can’t find it on ESP’s own site, which seems weird. £105 doesn’t seem too spiteful.

• Like 1