Why become a member? ×

Mustang Bass dimensions (for gig bags)

Sibob

• 4 months later...
On 28/11/2019 at 09:36, SeanBrookesMusic said:

Gruv Gear Edge look great. Currently having the same issue as everyone else with my mustang... where are the gig bags!?

Anyone tried a mono guitar sleeve?

The Mono sleeve is too short for a Mustang, although fits my Serek shortscale (ie a stumpy body with a 2+2 headstock).

But yeah, the Gruv Gear Edge is the best I’ve found so far.

Si

• 11 months later...
On 04/09/2018 at 08:05, naxos10 said:

If you find something could you let me know as I am also have a similar sized bass (it's not as long as the Mustang).

I have a fender case for a short scale bass. Its 44 inches insde . Its a hard shell case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2020 at 03:40, Fubu said:

I have a fender case for a short scale bass. Its 44 inches insde . Its a hard shell case.

Yeah hard-cases aren’t an issue, gig-bags were thin on the ground. However the Gruv Gear Edge Guitar bag and the Serek gigbag are both excellent bags for Mustangs.

Si

• 3 months later...
On 18/11/2020 at 21:50, Sibob said:

Yeah hard-cases aren’t an issue, gig-bags were thin on the ground. However the Gruv Gear Edge Guitar bag and the Serek gigbag are both excellent bags for Mustangs.

Si

Where did you find a hardcase? The only one I found was a discontinued Fender one. I know you said you weren't willing to pay out for a Harvest leather gig bag but... it fits my JMJ perfectly. There's just the right amount of space at the top and it doesn't squeeze the tuners too much. Like a glove.

1 hour ago, bassist_lewis said:

Where did you find a hardcase? The only one I found was a discontinued Fender one. I know you said you weren't willing to pay out for a Harvest leather gig bag but... it fits my JMJ perfectly. There's just the right amount of space at the top and it doesn't squeeze the tuners too much. Like a glove.

A Google search I made in the wee small hours, a couple of nights ago, revealed that the Gator XL will fit a Mustang with a tiny bit of forming of the foam, it was a BC thread IIRC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassist_lewis said:

Yeah the Harvest ones seem great, although I’m trying to reduce my leather consumption considerably. If your Mustang is your main bass, makes sense, but at the time, it was just one of my tools....so didn’t really warrant a £300 bag haha. I don’t have a Mustang anymore, but if I did, I’d buy one of the Serek bags. They seem a good balance between price and gig protection.

Si

• 3 weeks later...

Just revisiting this, the TGI Extreme from Bass Direct measures 106.5cm internally. Given the Mustang is only 1.5cm longer, you’d think it would fit with a bit forming at each end. Just £39 plus postage. I’m tempted.

I was going to buy the TGI bag with my Mustang but A Strings checked the fit and advised that it was quite a stretch and put a fait bit of strain on the zip, so I took their advice and got the Bass version of the same bag which is normal length and roomy, but not too baggy. It looks like the best available at the moment is the Gator ProGo, you remove the internal bottom pad ProGO link, I just couldn't justify the extra expense of it personally but it looks like a nice gig bag

15 hours ago, ezbass said:

Just revisiting this, the TGI Extreme from Bass Direct measures 106.5cm internally. Given the Mustang is only 1.5cm longer, you’d think it would fit with a bit forming at each end. Just £39 plus postage. I’m tempted.

Dunlop flush Mount strap locks on the mustang to reduce the length at the bottom strap button and it’d be snug as a bug in a rug!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ezbass said:

Possibly, but it’s still a fairly simple bag, the initial query of this thread was to find a solid gigging bag similar to a Mono/Gruv gear style mag. The entry level Gruv Gear hit that just about, but my next stop would definitely be a Serek bag.

Si

I think the 106.5cm is external measurement, take off 4cm for the padding, you are trying to stretch it (compress the padding) by 5.5cm, but maybe Bass Direct reckon it's a good fit, A Strings didn't, maybe I should have taken the chance. Also having got the same bag but Bass version the handle whilst comfortable being cloth covered I'm not sure how that will last. 20mm padding is better than most cheap bags though.

Gruv Gear out of stock everywhere at the moment, A Strings said they haven't had any deliveries from Singapore in a while.

Edited by Aidan63
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, there’s nothing wrong with my Maruszczyk bag other than it being somewhat wide in the body. I think it’s a combination of liking a bag/case that hinges up to a big reveal (like my Protection Racket) and lockdown ennui.

• 1 year later...

I took a bit of a £16.90 gamble on a Thomann Beat Bass gig bag (meant for Hofner violin basses) and can confirm a Mustang fits nicely!  The first time it was a bit tight around the upper horn but that seems easier after a day or two.

The bag has semi-rigid 20mm padding and can happily stand up on its own, so not at all flimsy.

If I end up keeping the Mustang, then I would probably buy a suitable hard case.  In the meantime, the Beat bag will more than do!

FF122822-AD3C-4182-A61A-70F7F071A61F.jpeg

30EF1EAA-D36D-414D-9B9A-9C2E749D638F.jpeg

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, MungoBass said:

I took a bit of a £16.90 gamble on a Thomann Beat Bass gig bag (meant for Hofner violin basses) and can confirm a Mustang fits nicely!  The first time it was a bit tight around the upper horn but that seems easier after a day or two.

The bag has semi-rigid 20mm padding and can happily stand up on its own, so not at all flimsy.

If I end up keeping the Mustang, then I would probably buy a suitable hard case.  In the meantime, the Beat bag will more than do!

FF122822-AD3C-4182-A61A-70F7F071A61F.jpeg

30EF1EAA-D36D-414D-9B9A-9C2E749D638F.jpeg

Do you trust it with that lovely bass? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, geoff90guitar said:

I’ve just bit the bullet and ordered a Gator GC-ELEC-XL Guitar ABS Case from Amazon for my CIJ Mustang bass. I’ve been comparing lengths and I know I’ll be cutting into the padding a little maybe just for the strap button.

Please post photos of the fit when you've done.

2 hours ago, geoff90guitar said:

I’ve just bit the bullet and ordered a Gator GC-ELEC-XL Guitar ABS Case from Amazon for my CIJ Mustang bass. I’ve been comparing lengths and I know I’ll be cutting into the padding a little maybe just for the strap button.

I use one of these cases with my 2 Mustangs if they need to go into the back of the van.  Sorry no picture to hand; the headstock compresses the padding at the top of the case a bit but there is still material between the headstock and the case shell.  It's generally a good snug fit.