Why become a member? ×

Mustang Bass dimensions (for gig bags)

Sibob

This what Fender have to say about the new short scale bass gig bag ...

Thank you for getting in touch, 099-1521-106 is the part number you're after, but thats actually a future product

and hasnt been launched yet on our website, if you quote this to the retailer they will be able to place it on order

So theres a new bag on it's way, it looks like this one ...

fender-f1225-series-gig-bag-516180.jpg.24bfaa830bd24c383542fb8d10f8a596.jpg

fe1225-inside_1.thumb.jpg.fd62da2c2b0f7cbf9ab6e267d3b4321e.jpg

Edited by Adee
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Adee said:

This what Fender have to say about the new short scale bass gig bag ...

Thank you for getting in touch, 099-1521-106 is the part number you're after, but thats actually a future product

and hasnt been launched yet on our website, if you quote this to the retailer they will be able to place it on order

So theres a new bag on it's way, it looks like this one ...

fender-f1225-series-gig-bag-516180.jpg.24bfaa830bd24c383542fb8d10f8a596.jpg

fe1225-inside_1.thumb.jpg.fd62da2c2b0f7cbf9ab6e267d3b4321e.jpg

Interesting, I've seen that range of their bags before, but not the short-scale (makes sense if it isn't launched yet).
The other bags in the range have three feature-based price points, about £25, about £65, and about £95. Which I think are actually spot on!

If you have a support ticket open, could you ask when they plan to drop them? If it's a month, great, if it's a year, I'll continue with my little project.

Si

Great news that they're bringing out a new short scale bag, but it looks like it might be a bit of a sloppy fit. Very wide at the body end and why the diagonal chop at the top left when that's where the tuners stick out? Maybe the short scale version will be a bit more slimline and a snugger fit. More like the Urban bag lol!

318493059_Fendergigbag.jpg.68724ceba09ee2fd585ed1128fb2839a.jpg

Edited by ikay

2 minutes ago, ikay said:

Great news that they're bringing out a new short scale bag, but it looks like it might be a bit of a sloppy fit. Very wide at the body end and why the diagonal chop at the top left when that's where the tuners stick out? Maybe the short scale version will be a bit more slimline and a snugger fit. Like the Urban bag lol! 

318493059_Fendergigbag.jpg.68724ceba09ee2fd585ed1128fb2839a.jpg

Presumably that's just a photo of the guitar bag? Not a photo you've managed to find of the Shortscale bag?
I would put my trust in Fender to actually fit the bag to the basses they make.....if not.....on with my project lol

Si

I am on my second Mustang bass. The first (MIM Pawn Shop) came with the fitted Urban gig bag, which gave only slightly more protection than an Ikea shopping bag. I gave up long ago on finding a decent fitted bag for my current Mustang, so it now travels in a regular full-size gig bag.

Guitar gig bags are too short. I expect a gig bag made for a 12-string solid-body guitar would fit because of the extra headstock length, but then they're not going to be that common either!

I contacted Fender UK and looks like the new short scale FBSS-610 gig bag is available imminently. See reply below:

Cecilie (Fender Musical Instruments)

Sep 28, 10:26 BST

Hi Ian,

The details are: 
# 0991521206 FBSS-610 SHRT SCL BASS GIG BAG

It is currently out of stock, but it will hopefully be back by next week!

Kind Regards,

Cecilie - Customer Sales & Support Advisor

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up one of these yesterday from Andertons (had to order it, not a stock item) and it is indeed at the very bottom end of the scale in terms of protection. Adequate for my immediate needs but the next model up, or higher, would definitely be preferable.

2 hours ago, ikay said:

I picked up one of these yesterday from Andertons (had to order it, not a stock item) and it is indeed at the very bottom end of the scale in terms of protection. Adequate for my immediate needs but the next model up, or higher, would definitely be preferable.

I’ll be annoyed if this is the only offering, again just treating short-scales as ‘student’ instruments.

Si

Andertons didn't show much interest in taking it as a stock item which shows how far down short scale bass users come on their list of priorities. It wouldn't surprise me if Fender do the same and stop at the cheap version. I hope to be proven wrong!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ikay said:

It sounds as though it's little more than a dust cover, is that about right?

It's a shame if it is because it looks reasonably sturdy in the promo pictures above. 

5 hours ago, Osiris said:

It sounds as though it's little more than a dust cover, is that about right?

It's a shame if it is because it looks reasonably sturdy in the promo pictures above. 

The pictures above aren’t of the actual thing, just of other bags in the range (Guitar, full size bass etc), the actual shortscale is here:

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/accessories/gig-bags/fbss-610-short-scale-bass-gig-bag/0991521206.html

Si

Edited by Sibob

It's a bit better than a dust cover but only has 10mm of padding and 600 denier fabric compared with 25mm and 1200 denier in the higher range F1225 bag. It's much the same spec as the old Urban short scale bag but with a simpler fold-over construction, probably cheaper to produce.

2 hours ago, Sibob said:

The pictures above aten’t Of the actual thing, just of other bags in the range (Guitar, full size bass etc), the actual shortscale is here:

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/accessories/gig-bags/fbss-610-short-scale-bass-gig-bag/0991521206.html

Si

29 minutes ago, ikay said:

It's a bit better than a dust cover but only has 10mm of padding and 600 denier fabric compared with 25mm and 1200 denier in the higher range F1225 bag. It's much the same spec as the old Urban short scale bag but with a simpler fold-over construction, probably cheaper to produce.

Thanks guys. 

I think I'll stick with my Protec for now at least. 

The 'Old' Urban is only just adaquate for the mose basic protection and carrying, I'd only get one if you are very careful ... I'd say the same probably applies to the new version 

Guess it's the price you pay for playing "a fun bass, for beginners, people with small hands or guitarists who want to play bass" (well that how they are usuallly described Grrrrrr  !!!)

54 minutes ago, Adee said:

Guess it's the price you pay for playing "a fun bass, for beginners, people with small hands or guitarists who want to play bass" (well that how they are usuallly described Grrrrrr  !!!)

Yes, had an 'armchair' bassist address me on stage the other night with 'why are you playing a girls bass?' (referring to my MIJ comp stripe 'stang).  I proceeded to play the crap out of it, making the growliest sound come out of a small package.......he left before the end of the first spot.

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 months later...

Revisiting this, I've just ordered a Gruv Gear Gigblade Edge guitar bag. The internal dimensions state a length of 43.5", which would fit the Mustang perfectly. It's not a full-on top-of-the-line bag like their Gigblade 2 or the Mono M80 cases, but it's a big step-up from the disappointment of the Fender FS610 that came out a couple of months ago:

https://gruvgear.com/products/gigblade-edge

Should arrive on Thurs, so I'll report back then.

Si

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very impressed with the Gruv Gear Edge guitar case. It’s a perfect fit for the Mustang once you move the bottom cushions (which are thankfully velcroed), around a little. This allows the bass to sit a little lower in the bag, and also stops any side-to-side movement (as little as it was).

EA771880-7E97-4BDD-B5DB-EA70CDAC58E2.thumb.jpeg.76c25b90a2012859069a6d9856087310.jpeg

43EBCA0E-CC20-4A52-843C-132B0B8E2A75.thumb.jpeg.c8c287a096fd6939b0d4eeb104ac79c8.jpeg

46AB69AB-D43E-4FE7-BB3A-502CE2A3B11F.thumb.jpeg.1fcb1f7f6ff7fa57855e385d244259e7.jpeg

Excellent quality bag, good price. So far, the best (only) gigging option for Mustang players at the moment IMO.

Si

Edited by Sibob

• 5 months later...
On 10 February 2019 at 09:41, Sibob said:

Very impressed with the Gruv Gear Edge guitar case. It’s a perfect fit for the Mustang once you move the bottom cushions (which are thankfully velcroed), around a little. This allows the bass to sit a little lower in the bag, and also stops any side-to-side movement (as little as it was).

EA771880-7E97-4BDD-B5DB-EA70CDAC58E2.thumb.jpeg.76c25b90a2012859069a6d9856087310.jpeg

43EBCA0E-CC20-4A52-843C-132B0B8E2A75.thumb.jpeg.c8c287a096fd6939b0d4eeb104ac79c8.jpeg

46AB69AB-D43E-4FE7-BB3A-502CE2A3B11F.thumb.jpeg.1fcb1f7f6ff7fa57855e385d244259e7.jpeg

Excellent quality bag, good price. So far, the best (only) gigging option for Mustang players at the moment IMO.

Si

That looks brilliant! Where did you buy yours? I live in the UK as well and have been looking for something decent for ages.