Why become a member? ×

Mustang Bass dimensions (for gig bags)

Sibob

Hi all,

No real discussion here, however in my tiny quest to find a decent, well-fitted, gig bag for my 2006 MIJ Fender Mustang bass (harder than you might think), it's become clear that the measurements of the bass aren't really online anywhere.
As such, this is largely just for the benefit of anyone Googling for the same thing to compare against internal measurements of gigbags:

Overall length (including strap button): 42.5” (108cm)
Body length: 19” (48.25cm)
Body width: 12” (30.5cm)
Headstock at widest point ( at E string, including tuner): 5.75” (14.6cm)
Headstock at narrowest (at G string, including tuner): 4.25” (10.8cm)

Only thing I forgot is body thickness, but I can't imagine it would have a bearing on whether a bag would fit. Will add later if I remember.
I'll also update as and when I find a suitable bag, currently investigating offerings from Maruszczyk & Eastwood, possibly Gator. Harvest make a shortscale leather one, but more than I want to pay.

I've had brief discussions with Mono, Reunion Blues, Protection Racket & Fusion about what they might offer in the future, although nothing in the short-term I don't believe.

To be clear, this does not include hardcases.

Cheers
Si

• Like 3

I cart my Mustang about in a Protec Contego. There's obviously a bit of a gap (but possibly not as much as you might think, less that 100 mm) between the end of the headstock and the casing but once the bass is secured in place with built in the velcro neck retainer thingy it's very secure and doesn't move about in the case. 

And while it's around £120 on the Thomann link above, I got mine from Amazon for about half of that 3 or 4 years ago. 

Edited by Osiris

45 minutes ago, Osiris said:

Mustang.jpg

Mustang head.jpg

Looks like a lovely case. My issues aren’t with quality of cases, but is with carting about a case that is bigger (taller) than is needed......especially when it’s dead-space. All well good if you also use the bag for other, full size, basses, but if you only use shortscale basses, the choice is almost zero.

2+2 headstock shortscales have a slightly easier time, bit more likely to fit a guitar case....if it’s wide enough at the headstock end.

Si

Edited by Sibob

According to some chap on TB a Mono electric guitar gig bag will fit a Mustang (I'm not sure what model of bag this is). Unfortunately Mono don't give dimensions in their product details which isn't very helpful.

1918543656_Monoelecguitargigbag.thumb.jpg.9912082a460f597e08802af0e6ad4dbb.jpg

Edited by ikay

1 hour ago, ikay said:

According to some chap on TB a Mono electric guitar gig bag will fit a Mustang (I'm not sure what model of bag this is). Unfortunately Mono don't give dimensions in their product details which isn't very helpful.

1918543656_Monoelecguitargigbag.thumb.jpg.9912082a460f597e08802af0e6ad4dbb.jpg

Mono do actually give the internal dimensions on their site, one of the few companies that do in fact. To be fair though, the info is almost ‘hidden’ as one of the images for each product, as opposed to being text in a ‘spec’ section.

Mono guitar bags are about as close as it gets currently, however the internal length comes up just short at 41.5”, with a Mustang topping out at 42.5” headstock to strap pin.

I have a Mono Vertigo guitar bag (amazing bag, fits my 33” headless ACG perfectly), and it has the same dimensions as the classic M80. Whilst I can squeeze the Mustang in, it would damage the bag over time, not to mention putting undue pressure on the tuners. You can see in the above picture that the tuners are distorting the left hand edge, and when the bag is zipped up, would put pressure on the tuners.

Again, it’s an option, but not ideal, especially for the price (as with the Protec).

Si

Edited by Sibob

9 hours ago, Sibob said:

Looks like a lovely case. My issues aren’t with quality of cases, but is with carting about a case that is bigger (taller) than is needed......especially when it’s dead-space. All well good if you also use the bag for other, full size, basses, but if you only use shortscale basses, the choice is almost zero.

2+2 headstock shortscales have a slightly easier time, bit more likely to fit a guitar case....if it’s wide enough at the headstock end.

Si

OK, I understand now :)

I've only recently made the move to short scales, a dodgy nerve in my left wrist is forcing the issue. Like you I had no luck finding a sensibly priced, widely available short scale case. I already had the Protec for my 34" scales so I just use that. There is obviously some dead space in the case but it's not an issue for me. 

Having said that, as and when a decent, affordable short scale case becomes available I'll be tempted to pick one up. 

• Like 1

My 2013 MIJ Mustang came with a standard Strat/Tele gigbag which the previous owner carried it around in. It's a tight squeeze at the headstock end tho and not wanting to scrap the headstock against the zip, i dont use it.

I find that using a regular long-scale bag is fine anyway tho - mine is a Fusion F3 i think, which is quite rigid anyway so doesn't flop at the empty space at the headstock end, and has a velcro strap to hold the neck in place anyway.

I guess some foam padding or bubble wrap would secure it in place if it was essential.

I realise that doesn't answer the question at all! Just saying, that full size bags (which most of us will have at least one of) work fine in my experience. I'd rather put up with the extra space than try to force it into a smaller bag.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Si, did you have any luck finding a gig bag for your Mustang? I need one for my old Hofner 185 which is the same length as a Mustang and can't find anything. The Fender Urban Short Scale Gig Bag was my fall back but I just went to order one only to discover that it's been discontinued! Grrr

2 hours ago, ikay said:

Hi Si, did you have any luck finding a gig bag for your Mustang? I need one for my old Hofner 185 which is the same length as a Mustang and can't find anything. The Fender Urban Short Scale Gig Bag was my fall back but I just went to order one only to discover that it's been discontinued! Grrr

Not yet, the best I've found is a Reunion Blues RBX Semi-Hollow guitar bag. Perfect length, but seemingly too much space around the body as it's obviously for a larger bodied guitar. Plus it's about £120.

I'm currently investigating whether I can get a run of bags made to the dimensions we'd need.....if I do, it will likely be a kickstarter to get going.

Cheers
Si

1 minute ago, grandad said:

That looks to be the standard bass bag, not the short-scale. The short-scale aspect is called out on other listings, not on this one is all.

Si

55 minutes ago, grandad said:

There may be a few old stock around.

I had a good hunt around for old stock (including Europe) but couldn't find any. A couple of websites are rather optimistically listing them as 'on order' but I think they're just a bit behind the times.