Why become a member? ×

Modern Blueberry?

The59Sound

On paper the BBBOD should be my favourite pedal, but I didn't fall enough in love with it to justify the new pricetag. I'm still trying out the Fuzz Dog version; I find the nature knob a bit binary, but like it overall.

Alternatives I want to try eventually are the KHKD Abyss, the Solid Gold FX Beta, the Xotic Bass BB preamp, and perhaps the Hookers Green Bassmachine, because I have heard these retain bottom end well and can do warm and grindy rather than what I hear as fizzy.

54 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

I’ve built a couple of blueberries, and the LED clipping diodes are what make it fizzy, try replacing them with 1N4148s and doubling the value of the input cap from 47nf to 100nf or greater.

It'll still be quite dark though. I suppose it depends what the OP means by 'modern'. Josh Broughton was kind enough to share some tips with me about how to brighten up my own blueberry, but I made so many changes I have no point of reference now, so I'm planning on building at least one other for comparison.

@ben4343 mentioned the nature control. On mine it's a little hard to use. A tiny change makes a huge difference. I'd planned on swapping it out for a smaller value and adding a few padding trimmers to allow me to zone in on the section of the dial I would use most, if that makes sense. 

If you can find a Fuzzrocious Dark Driving, has a similar vibe (dark sounding, low gain).

This video I made might be interesting to you:

Also made this SoundCloud playlist which also includes the Xotic BB drive and the Solid Gold Beta:

https://m.soundcloud.com/simonpoulton/sets/bass-overdrive-shootout

Si

Edited by Sibob