Why become a member? ×

Hot Rails pickup in Squire Bronco wiring help?

hooky_lowdown

Picked up a hot rails pickup to put in a squier bronco bass. The stock (guitar) pup in the bronco has just two wires which are black and white, however the hot rails pup has three wires (Bare and Black twisted together / White and Green twisted together / and a single Red) - see pic below. Can someone tell me which wires I need to solder and where to solder them?

I think the White and Green twisted wires need to be insulated with electric tape. And the other two (Bare and Black twisted and the Red) get soldered to the volume pot, but I'm not sure where on the volume pot these go?

51gHIKeaKaL._SX679_.jpg.9c7f90b693ff88c14d22baf4d8b94c5f.jpg

The green and white wires make a connection between the coils so that it's wired in series, so they'll not be going to the pot - you're right, they just need soldering together and insulating.

The red is the output and the bare/black is the earth - not sure what the wiring in the Bronco is like,  but I guess it's like a P-bass, so you could ape this where your red is the white in the diagram.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ahpook said:

The green and white wires make a connection between the coils so that it's wired in series, so they'll not be going to the pot - you're right, they just need soldering together and insulating.

The red is the output and the bare/black is the earth - not sure what the wiring in the Bronco is like,  but I guess it's like a P-bass, so you could ape this where your red is the white in the diagram.

Beat me to it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to installing the new hotrails pup, however I've done something wrong because when I plug in my electronic tuner, as soon as I turn it on the needle move towards B and remains in a fixed position, when I pluck a string (EADG) the needle moves but doesn't register anything and reverts back to the fixed postion towards the B.

I'm a utter novice at soldering and electrics, so please don't laugh at my poor attempt, any idea's what I've done wrong?

Update: tried the bass through an amp last night and the pickup works, however if I move the pickup the sound cuts out. I have to gently wiggle it for sound to come back. Also found if I turn the tone knob the sound intermittently cuts out.

Any theories why the pickup seems to short as I can’t see any wires touching and everything is taped up with electrical tape, or why if I plug the bass into an electronic tuner the needle stays fixed towards B?

IMG_0249.thumb.jpg.3b5f2a4ef4fb6f5e08f74d2dca8fb1e3.jpg

Edited by hooky_lowdown