Why become a member? ×

Touching the body and .....

fiatcoupe432

1 minute ago, Hellzero said:

Looks like microphonic pickups, had no issues with my Jerzy Drozd with the same pickups. Strange. That said, good luck if you contact the man himself, he'll certainly charge you 1.000 Euros to change the pickups...

soryy my ignorance tony .... what you mean microphonic pickups?

2 minutes ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

sorry my ignorance but what does it mean ?

If the windings inside the pickups have become loose, then the pickup can act a bit like a microphone. It picks up vibrations outside that of it's normal operation of sensing string movement. So, banging on the instrument body will be picked up and can be heard through your amp.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dood said:

If the windings inside the pickups have become loose, then the pickup can act a bit like a microphone. It picks up vibrations outside that of it's normal operation of sensing string movement. So, banging on the instrument body will be picked up and can be heard through your amp.

can it be fixed?

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

I was going to say could they have gone slightly microphonic. Usually only older pickups though isn't it? More modern pickups potted in wax don't usually turn microphonic do they? 

I've no idea what is in this instrument, so I began with the most likely cause (outside of having a piezo bridge element installed). 

Other possibilities is that you have a loose or dry joint in the electronics that is being vibrated and on occasion can cause noise.

The weirdest example I have ever seen of this happening was... and I sh*t you not... BATTERIES! For some reason, ever single one of a pack of a certain brand of batteries in one bass would cause a thumping sound through the amplifier if you hit the instrument firmly. It was only when I tried a fresh set of batteries from another brand the problem went away! Maybe it was a poor batch of batteries where the contents were loose? Who knows!!

3 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

It means that they amplify any sound and not only the (metal) strings. Take a look at your pickups, they should be like this with rubber dampers.

878882371_JerzyDrozdObsessionBasic7(17).thumb.jpg.8978ba5a89229975a9a1146234f23c80.jpg

ill have to leave it until tomorrow now as my toolbox is in my car ...... 

however so far could be 

Microphonic pickup ?

Battery ?

loose or dry joint in the electronics?

1 minute ago, fiatcoupe432 said:

Thanks Dood , 

and if it can be fixed do you know anyone who could do it ?

If these pickups are ones that aren't already potted (most modern ones are as mentioned above) then I would expect any custom pickup manufacturer could pot them for you either in wax or epoxy. Whether or not a particular company offer that as a service, I don't know. I'm guessing you'll have a few helpful replies from our fellow BCers :) 

• Thanks 1