Why become a member? ×

British built custom bass

ianrendall

I have played a few of the British custom basses mentioned on here and I can honestly say that the two Sei Basses and GB Spitfires I have played have probably been the nicest instruments I have ever played and are not the benchmark for feel for anything else I own. Actually I also need to give an honourable mention to the Overwater J5 I had, the neck was just phenomenal but it was someone else’s order so not 100% what I wanted in a bass.

I found the Sadowsky basses I have played to be impeccably built and nice to play but soulless, just very clinical and the ones I played (metros I should add) didn’t have the nice rolled fretboard edges I like but that’s a personal thing. They were great but just a bit clinical. I would also rate the three makers above over an Alleva Coppollo I played as well.

I tried two Enfield basses as a show once, beautifully made but the G string kept rolling off the edge of the fingerboard when I played it, god knows why, never happened to me on any other bass.

Not sure if your after a 4 or 5 string but there are used examples of both GB and Sei at the gallery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJE said:

I have played a few of the British custom basses mentioned on here and I can honestly say that the two Sei Basses and GB Spitfires I have played have probably been the nicest instruments I have ever played and are not the benchmark for feel for anything else I own. Actually I also need to give an honourable mention to the Overwater J5 I had, the neck was just phenomenal but it was someone else’s order so not 100% what I wanted in a bass.

I found the Sadowsky basses I have played to be impeccably built and nice to play but soulless, just very clinical and the ones I played (metros I should add) didn’t have the nice rolled fretboard edges I like but that’s a personal thing. They were great but just a bit clinical. I would also rate the three makers above over an Alleva Coppollo I played as well.

I tried two Enfield basses as a show once, beautifully made but the G string kept rolling off the edge of the fingerboard when I played it, god knows why, never happened to me on any other bass.

Not sure if your after a 4 or 5 string but there are used examples of both GB and Sei at the gallery.

More very useful info thank you. My purchase is many months away yet, but already I am obsessing! Gives me plenty of time to think

2 hours ago, BassBunny said:

ACG or Zoot or ACG

This. I have owned four ACGs, three of which I commissioned. I still have two of those commissions and only sold the other to fund some cash flow issues really. I have a list of about 5 ACG specs I’d like Alan to build me at some point 🤣

Currently, though, Mike at Zoot is working on a Funkmeister custom - essentially a Jazz-type bass for me in a more traditional flavour than Alan’s (superb) builds - including solid paint finish and passive electronics for example.

I’ve also conceived at least two more Zoot Funkmeisters in my head 😳🙄

Overwater might not be out of budget. My 2017 fretless jazz had optional extras including a flamed top and I believe that was below the £2500 mark. In fact I was looking at a Fender Jaco artist bass before it because I thought the Overwater would be really expensive but it was around the same price. Always worth sending Chris an enquiry

• Like 1

This is what my coin would be spent on if I wanted a Shuker classic looking Jazz bass. We all know this going to be an amazingly made cracking playing and sounding Jazz. SD pups. Way under budget too. Put an East Jazz pre bell plate or an Audere straight in bell plate and your into active Super Jazz territory. http://shukerguitars.co.uk/stock-4-string-j-bass/

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 2

I looked at Shukers etc around the time when I bought my Sadowsky. In the end, the right Sadowsky came up secondhand at a price that meant I would at least break even if I ever decided to move it on. I also found that replacing the pickups with Nordstrands brought the thing to life. 

11 minutes ago, therealting said:

I looked at Shukers etc around the time when I bought my Sadowsky. In the end, the right Sadowsky came up secondhand at a price that meant I would at least break even if I ever decided to move it on. I also found that replacing the pickups with Nordstrands brought the thing to life. 

Thanks to this thread and many helpful basschatters I’ve discovered that there are so many custom builders that could build me something within budget, albeit a basic model. Trouble is, I could get a second hand NYC Sadowsky within budget or order a new NYC Satin (HMRC notwithstanding!). I’ve really given myself a lot to think about. 

12 hours ago, ianrendall said:

Oo that’s looking good. Is that within my budget? Also when did you commission it?

Yes deffo within your budget.  My commission has a few tweeks from the standard spec on top.  But the cooking RetroB is £1,975 which frankly covers a great spec.  Can't remember the exact date but the leadtime is shaping up to be around 10 months.

Edited by ead

I bought both an ACG and Everson used on BC and they’re both fine basses which I won’t part with. However it was Paul Everson I went to when I wanted my own build. To me his basses are unlike anything else I’ve ever played and just suit me to perfection. The best advice I can give is make sure you play examples of your shortlisted luthier’s basses before you decide.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CokeyW said:

I bought both an ACG and Everson used on BC and they’re both fine basses which I won’t part with. However it was Paul Everson I went to when I wanted my own build. To me his basses are unlike anything else I’ve ever played and just suit me to perfection. The best advice I can give is make sure you play examples of your shortlisted luthier’s basses before you decide.

Those Everson’s are extremely attractive instruments aren’t they? 

For me, having owned or played several examples of most, Sei and Everson are the standouts, but I like a light, easy-playing bass. I like a lot of Alan's (ACG) basses - great bloke too - but have found many of them pretty heavy (I have back problems) and I haven't generally got on with the necks & flat radius, although being custom that shouldn't be an issue. I have played a few really light ones. GBs are really nice, Overwater too, although again I find Overwater tend to be on the heavy side (ditto it shouldn't be an issue if going custom). My Rim was nice and unique, loved the design. Of them all the ones I haven't really got along with are Shuker; I've never played a Shuker that spoke to me. Have never played an Alpher though. GUS are way out of your budget, I believe.

I suspect they'll all build you a great bass but you need a good idea of what you're after.

Edited by 4000

If I was after a J style bass it would have to be Sei, but that's because I know that martin would be able to build me something that looked superficially like a J but had all the problems I have with the Fender design ironed out.

However I get the impression that the OP wants something much more conventional but with a few tweaks to his specification. It shouldn't be difficult to find someone to build that considering that the basic J bass was designed to be cost-effective to be made by relatively unskilled labour and by now is a well-known tried and tested design. Pretty much any UK luthier offering a J style bass should be able make you exactly what you need within your budget.

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

the OP wants something much more conventional but with a few tweaks to his specification.

You are correct. However, the idea of an Everson custom with an MM J config is becoming more appealing by the day.....and then I look at a Sadowsky again and I’m back where I started 😂😂