Why become a member? ×

British built custom bass

ianrendall

Ok guys, here is where I’m at. I’ve had extreme unicorn GAS for as long as I’ve been playing bass for a Sadowsky. The blame lies with Will Lee and Walter Becker. I’ve decided this is where my heart lies and as we all know, GAS cannot be be reasonably satisfied by a third party. I will by a damn Sadowsky and if I don’t like it I’ll be bloody well back. Thank you all for your suggestions, it has opened my eyes to what is available in the UK. I’ll probably sell the yet to be acquired Sad in a few years anyway and get a custom. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ianrendall said:

Ok guys, here is where I’m at. I’ve had extreme unicorn GAS for as long as I’ve been playing bass for a Sadowsky. The blame lies with Will Lee and Walter Becker. I’ve decided this is where my heart lies and as we all know, GAS cannot be be reasonably satisfied by a third party. I will by a damn Sadowsky and if I don’t like it I’ll be bloody well back. Thank you all for your suggestions, it has opened my eyes to what is available in the UK. I’ll probably sell the yet to be acquired Sad in a few years anyway and get a custom. 

I don’t think you’ll regret this, especially if you pick up a good secondhand one as they are great value and have excellent resale. My Metro J and my NYC S-type are exceptional instruments. 

• 3 weeks later...

My two cents... To buy a custom instrument made from scratch may not be a simple task. I have had some more or less nice instruments within the last 3 decades. I have done some modifications to my basses during these years but just two years ago I got in contact with a young guy that knows wood. He made me a fretless that is just downright incredible. But to be honest, I could not have been able to talk about details or specifications before this. Now, I have had around too many basses (according to my surroundings...) and tried quite a few brands like Rickenbacker (my first love), Washburn, Ibanez (including Ashula and a very good Affirma among others), Guild, Modulus (neck could be wider), Status necked basses (lovely), Kramer (cold Al neck), Vigier (my main instruments), Tobias (lots of good ideas), Wal (hard and heavy and very interesting), Spector (but not for me), Warwick (see: Spector), MTD, Pedulla (has that design), 7ender (see: Spector), G&L (better than the 7-word), Hamer, Ken Smith, Music Man (yes, no), Alembic (how much?!), Sadowsky (pretty light), tune (so 80's), Tokai (still only a copy), Status (maybe some day), Steinberger (far too thick necks), Neuser, Aria, Nash (see: 7ender), Guild, Jaydee (a bit strange), Kubicki, Mayones (see: 7ender), Limelight (all necks had terrific feel), Dingwall (it's not modern, but I am old), Pensa-Suhr (plain incredible), Zon... so I think I have some perspective to my wanting.

A very special instrument may have some tiny detail which just makes you hate it. Downright hate it. It can be a fret end or a neck profile or anything. Even one bad gig. I love your comments here that tell these "but sound was too #¤%oiglk" or "neck diving was &=%¤ing". But it may be so that the particular bass isn't the one and the reason will be found from that detail, reasonable sounding or not. So talk to the luthier - and do it again. It is feasible to bring one dear instrument with you to the maker. It is much easier to discuss about details if there is some reference, there. To point out weight or balance or a sharp bridge corner, anything. And prepare some kind of approximate wishlist before the first visit (color scheme, shape, weight, parts, music style, overall looks, strings, electronics, reference pictures, bands...).

Everybody probably knows the bicycle thing: you have to buy three. The first is the one that you learn, what it is (Wasn't so cheap, nice paint!). The second has all the bells and whistles (Derailleur has ceramic bearings!) and the third is the one that really suits you (I have started to break my personal records on a monthly basis and it fits like a glove...). So my suggestion to a custom is:

II: discussion I test drive :II   repeat ad lib.

13 hours ago, itu said:

A very special instrument may have some tiny detail which just makes you hate it. Downright hate it.

We've all been there...

A late vote for my friend Simon at SMB guitars:

http://www.smbguitars.com/

The website isn't that great, but he has made quite a few basses, some 'standard', some a bit more eccentric. I've been disucssing a potential custom build with him for a while now.

If you're on Facebook, there are lots more pictures on there.

• 6 months later...

Just spent time with Andrew Taylor-Cummings of Anaconda basses, spec'ing my next 4 string. The Ultra J4E Elite with a vintage sunburst finish. The bass quality is outstanding a combination of design, skill & materials. Andrew helped with all the decisions to achieve what I am trying to achieve & need. Very confident about the outcome....but the wait!!!!!...lets support our great British luthiers.