Why become a member? ×

British built custom bass

ianrendall

Following on from my thread asking for advice on US super jazzes, a number or replies from that thread has changed my ideas somewhat, and I think that deserves a new thread. 

I was courting the idea of a used super jazz, Sadowsky, Lull, Dingwall et al possibly others such as Overwater, Mayones, all the usual suspects, which may still happen if the right bass comes along at the right time at the right price  

But I’ve since been seriously flirting with the idea of a British custom build. 

I’ve looked at Shuker, ACG and Zoot. The likes of a new Overwater are well out of my likely £2k budget.

Are there any other luthiers I should look at? I do love Sei but I don’t know if they are still being made.

I have a basic idea of what I want:

Classic J body, simple active electronics with passive/active switching, JJ or MM J pickups, natural finish but happy with solid colour if it keeps the price down for the right bass, 5 string lined fretless, but happy with 4 for the same reason. 

Edited by ianrendall

11 hours ago, ead said:

Dyed in the wool ACG fanboy here.  You can get a RetroB J type bass for well under your budget.  The pic is one I commissioned that is getting close to being finished now.

https://www.acguitars.co.uk/retrob-basses/

596093308_ACGRetroB20180821.thumb.jpeg.beb8dcbdf169c741314f92b06c8728cf.jpeg

Oo that’s looking good. Is that within my budget? Also when did you commission it?

Edited by ianrendall

12 hours ago, ianrendall said:

Is there anyone that has played a Shuker and a Sadowsky? How do they compare?

I've had both (and an embarrassing list that includes many of the other contenders).  As a direct comparison, the US Sadowsky had a slightly more expensive and cultured look and feel - the whole package (case, candy, hardware) just felt expensive.  The Sadowsky pre is lovely - not dramatic but a professional, studio-style gloss right out of the box.  The bass was also very light and comfortable, and capable of a very low action (if that's your kind of thing - it was highly adjustable).  All that said, it didn't feel or sound particularly 'alive'.  It was a bit 'ordinary', possibly anonyous for the price.  However, that might be what makes Sadowskys so popular and desirable among big-name and session-players.  Just an excellent Fender clone that feels familiar, is light and an can emulate a Fender tone (and then a bit).

The Shuker was a much heavier but beautifully built instrument - somebody else's custom order that I bought second-hand.  Excellent timbers, really good construction with top-quality fit and finish (in the main).  Again, the circuit was Sadowsky, along with the pickups, so great tone on tap (if nothing extreme).  Not as comfortable to play as the Sadowsky and suffered from some fret-sprout (an easy fix and nothing out of the ordinary - this is a feature of many Alembics - but a little frustrating).  It was possible to feel and see where the extra money had gone into the Sadowsky (but maybe not the 1000-1200 at contemporaneous prices).  The Shuker had its own elegance but was a little more chunky and workperson-like than its US counterpart.  Overall tone was a little more aggressive but this is probably down to timbers and design.  Hardware was high-quality sourced-in rather than in-house.

Overall, both very good basses if not absolutely top-of-the-line game-changers.  I picked-up the Shuker for around 1200 and the Sadowsky for maybe 1750 - prices have changed (obviously),  At the time, the premium was probably justifiable.  With current prices, I'm not at all sure.  I'd have no hesitation in custom ordering from Jon.  Excellent, professional instruments at realistic prices.  Just to throw another curve in - Atelier may be worth consideration - some bargains appear on here (and excellent Japanese build quality).

Edited by three
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, three said:

I've had both (and an embarrassing list that includes many of the other contenders).  As a direct comparison, the US Sadowsky had a slightly more expensive and cultured look and feel - the whole package (case, candy, hardware) just felt expensive.  The Sadowsky pre is lovely - not dramatic but a professional, studio-style gloss right out of the box.  The bass was also very light and comfortable, and capable of a very low action (if that's your kind of thing - it was highly adjustable).  All that said, it didn't feel or sound particularly 'alive'.  It was a bit 'ordinary', possibly anonyous for the price.  However, that might be what makes Sadowskys so popular and desirable among big-name and session-players.  Just an excellent Fender clone that feels familiar, is light and an can emulate a Fender tone (and then a bit).

The Shuker was a much heavier but beautifully built instrument - somebody else's custom order that I bought second-hand.  Excellent timbers, really good construction with top-quality fit and finish (in the main).  Again, the circuit was Sadowsky, along with the pickups, so great tone on tap (if nothing extreme).  Not as comfortable to play as the Sadowsky and suffered from some fret-sprout (an easy fix and nothing out of the ordinary - this is a feature of many Alembics - but a little frustrating).  It was possible to feel and see where the extra money had gone into the Sadowsky (but maybe not the 1000-1200 at contemporaneous prices).  The Shuker had its own elegance but was a little more chunky and workperson-like than its US counterpart.  Overall tone was a little more aggressive but this is probably down to timbers and design.  Hardware was high-quality sourced-in rather than in-house.

Overall, both very good basses if not absolutely top-of-the-line game-changers.  I picked-up the Shuker for around 1200 and the Sadowsky for maybe 1750 - prices have changed (obviously),  At the time, the premium was probably justifiable.  With current prices, I'm not at all sure.  I'd have no hesitation in custom ordering from Jon.  Excellent, professional instruments at realistic prices.  Just to throw another curve in - Atelier may be worth consideration - some bargains appear on here (and excellent Japanese build quality).

Thank you so much, really useful info. I think if I do go the custom route it would probably be Shuker. If anything he is nearer to me should I want to visit. 

15 hours ago, ianrendall said:

Is there anyone that has played a Shuker and a Sadowsky? How do they compare?

Very favourably. Sadowsky are obviously a massive and well known US brand. I've enjoyed trying out a few of their models.

To put it in to perspective regarding Shuker though. I've been very lucky to of course review some pretty amazing instruments out there and I can put my hand on my heart and say that the quality of finish on Shukers have been better than some of the 'best of the best'. I'm not going to name names, but I've been disappointed with set up issues, poor fret dressings, questionable electronics, necks that shift constantly and in one case a a neck that I couldn't decide how it could be fighting me so much. It just would not play ball.