Why become a member? ×

Status bass strings....Any good ?

weepaul

Recently purchased a 32ins flat wound set from Pestie and I'm really pleased with their performance. I normally use Fender 9050ML flat wound strings on all my other basses and the Status flat wound strings appear to be brighter than the Fender without loosing any bottom end thump. 

2 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Recently purchased a 32ins flat wound set from Pestie and I'm really pleased with their performance. I normally use Fender 9050ML flat wound strings on all my other basses and the Status flat wound strings appear to be brighter than the Fender without loosing any bottom end thump. 

Do your flats have silks on them? I'm hoping they bring out some 34in flats sometime soon.

24 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

I've got the old Status flats on an already bright bass and they are quite bright for flats. I understand they have a new supplier now but haven't tried their current offerings, and hopefully won't need to for another 10 years or so.

Have they?? I'll have to see if they have more Tapewounds in stock...

• 1 year later...

I bought two sets of strings a while ago, a set of flats and their 'half grounds' or whatever it is they call them. 

One set had a string that sounded dead compared to the rest. I wrote to them a couple of times before getting a reply (a couple of weeks, I wasn't emailing every hour exactly), and they were not interested. The reply I got was something like "oh really, that's odd"... so I got stuck with the duff strings.

It didn't make me want to try them again, to be honest. So I haven't, and I go elsewhere for strings.

2 hours ago, mcnach said:

One set had a string that sounded dead compared to the rest. I wrote to them a couple of times before getting a reply (a couple of weeks, I wasn't emailing every hour exactly), and they were not interested. The reply I got was something like "oh really, that's odd"... so I got stuck with the duff strings.

I've had a couple sets of D'Addario flats and half wounds with a dead string, which are twice the price of Status. Never stopped me buying them, you get the occasional duff string. That's life. I've had the same with Roto's and EB's as well.

12 hours ago, hooky_lowdown said:

I've had a couple sets of D'Addario flats and half wounds with a dead string, which are twice the price of Status. Never stopped me buying them, you get the occasional duff string. That's life. I've had the same with Roto's and EB's as well.

If I get a duff string I want it replaced. I am not interested in playing string lottery with my money, quite frankly. 

I never had any issues with any other brand, but I'm aware of at least DR and especially D'Addario replacing strings when customers complain. They get my business.