Why become a member? ×

Tried a Rickenbacker...

LukeFRC

I always wanted a ric as my bass playing hero (Geddy) was playing one at the time, then I went to the music fair (Earl’s Court) I think and all my illusions were shattered when i finally got to sit down and try to play one.Absolutely alien ergonomics , for me anyway! I was hugely disappointed that it wasn’t right for me, but you can’t deny there’s nothing quite like them look wise, and even non musicians still’ notice’ them.Hats off to the people that can play them and make them sound good!

I agree that to me, Geddys Wal sounds weren’t what I would call’ the typical sound’ associated with the brand, but hey ho it shows how versatile they are I guess.I’ve heard it said that Wals are no good for slapping, but totally disagree on that one.

Id really like to try the newer rics, they certainly look as though they would be more comfortable and yet still retain some of the iconic look about them.would be interested to hear any thoughts from owners of these? 

• Like 1

So a few years ago, I couldn't afford 1, now I have 2. Yay.

Just like TB above, I lusted after one for many years, nearly bought one on a few occasions, but always bottled out for some reason or other (mainly due to being young & skint, or the "relic" condition of the bass, when relic wasn't a thing).

Anyway, some years later, finally managed to find one when I had some cash, played it, loved it, bought it. Spent a long time re-evaluating how I played it in relation to other basses, but it was worth the effort. They just feel right.

• Like 1

I bought a Ric about 20 years ago without playing one and just hoped I liked it as much as my ears liked the clank it produced. Luckily for me, I loved it! 

I've just put flats on it and will be bringing it to a blues rehearsal on Tuesday. Can't wait! 

PXL_20220118_173114022.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tubbybloke68 said:

I always wanted a ric as my bass playing hero (Geddy) was playing one at the time, then I went to the music fair (Earl’s Court) I think and all my illusions were shattered when i finally got to sit down and try to play one.Absolutely alien ergonomics , for me anyway! I was hugely disappointed that it wasn’t right for me, but you can’t deny there’s nothing quite like them look wise, and even non musicians still’ notice’ them.Hats off to the people that can play them and make them sound good!

I agree that to me, Geddys Wal sounds weren’t what I would call’ the typical sound’ associated with the brand, but hey ho it shows how versatile they are I guess.I’ve heard it said that Wals are no good for slapping, but totally disagree on that one.

Id really like to try the newer rics, they certainly look as though they would be more comfortable and yet still retain some of the iconic look about them.would be interested to hear any thoughts from owners of these? 

It’s all so personal. I love the ergonomics. And I actually find the bound basses more comfortable than the unbound ones. In fact I had to sell my otherwise fabulous 4004 because of issues with my right arm caused by the contouring. Obviously others find they can’t deal with the binding, or the body shape, which for me is possibly the most comfortable out there. Most basses with a severe forearm contour I can’t play; I’m in agony in seconds. 

• Like 2

I have cervical spondylosis and prolapsed discs that affect (amongst other things) the nerves in my arms. A pronounced forearm chafer aggravates my nerve issues/pain. But many other things do too. I can’t play Ibanez SRs because of the body contouring, and by rights they should be really comfortable; and yet a bound 4001/4003 is no problem whatsoever. 

But that really is my point; it might be uncommon, but that’s how things are for me. Everyone is different. That’s why someone complaining about the ergonomics of an instrument because they don’t get on with it doesn’t mean that everyone else will have the same experience. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I have cervical spondylosis and prolapsed discs that affect (amongst other things) the nerves in my arms. A pronounced forearm chafer aggravates my nerve issues/pain. But many other things do too. I can’t play Ibanez SRs because of the body contouring, and by rights they should be really comfortable; and yet a bound 4001/4003 is no problem whatsoever. 

But that really is my point; it might be uncommon, but that’s how things are for me. Everyone is different. That’s why someone complaining about the ergonomics of an instrument because they don’t get on with it doesn’t mean that everyone else will have the same experience. 

Thank you. It's interesting a bass that a fair percentage of players just can't get on with at all is perfect for others. Yes, the SRs are probably as comfortable to play as any bass out there (unless thin narrow necks aren't your thing) but as you say specific conditions can turn things upside down.

I've found that as I have gained more experience that I can adapt to almost any bass (shortscales, Hofner violins, Gibson SG, Warwick Thumb, etc.) but the Rickenbacker is my biggest challenge. Maybe I should've retained the pickup cover and anchored my wrist on that when using a pick?

39 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I have completely the opposite issue in that basses or guitars without contouring really causes me issues almost instantly with playing (some acoustics are the exception). Body binding makes it worse as I find the edges far more severe then (say) a slab-bodied Stingray or a Tele.

I would love to own a 4001/3 again as I much prefer them aesthetically to the 4003S but my body says no sadly. 

• Like 1

To be honest, I've just sold my 4003 after 8 years of ownership; in essence it's just me becoming less tolerant of the ergonomics as I get older and grouchier.  I could live with the pup ironware (I put in one of the aftermarket thumb rests/gap cover), the overly clubby neck-headstock transition and the agricultural bridge.  With time though I did find the body binding on the forearm an unnecessary inconvenience to me when playing standing.

All that said, I may look at a Rick again if the stupid price inflation situation stabilises BUT it would be a 4003S.

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, martthebass said:

To be honest, I've just sold my 4003 after 8 years of ownership; in essence it's just me become less tolerant of the ergonomics as I get older and grouchier.  I could live with the pup ironware (I put in one of the aftermarket thumb rests/gap cover), the overly clubby neck-headstock transition and the agricultural bridge.  With time though I did find the body binding on the forearm an unnecessary inconvenience to me when playing standing.

All that said, I may look at a Rick again if the stupid price inflation situation stabilises BUT it would be a 4003S.

Agreed. Mine are both S models as I found the binding really uncomfortable. 

20220124_143318.thumb.jpg.c5416ea12fc5f14926b72879bf866823.jpg

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

Thank you. It's interesting a bass that a fair percentage of players just can't get on with at all is perfect for others. Yes, the SRs are probably as comfortable to play as any bass out there (unless thin narrow necks aren't your thing) but as you say specific conditions can turn things upside down.

I've found that as I have gained more experience that I can adapt to almost any bass (shortscales, Hofner violins, Gibson SG, Warwick Thumb, etc.) but the Rickenbacker is my biggest challenge. Maybe I should've retained the pickup cover and anchored my wrist on that when using a pick?

Up until relatively recently I generally rested my hand on the bridge when picking - I do on most basses. It’s the most comfortable for me. None of my Rics have covers, although that’s how they were when I bought them.

I may replace the covers at some point as I do tend to favour the sound playing nearer the neck for most stuff these days, but I generally just float my hand over the strings. When I first started playing I used to rest my hand on the cover but after my first Ric was stolen, the ones I bought subsequently didn’t have covers. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I have completely the opposite issue in that basses or guitars without contouring really causes me issues almost instantly with playing (some acoustics are the exception). Body binding makes it worse as I find the edges far more severe then (say) a slab-bodied Stingray or a Tele.

I would love to own a 4001/3 again as I much prefer them aesthetically to the 4003S but my body says no sadly. 

I bought a slab-bodied ‘68 Tele bass a few years back. It lasted a day. It absolutely crippled me. 

OK, I am giving Ricks one last crack. Just moved on my almost-new jetglo 4003 and take delivery of a new jetglo 4003S tomorrow. Hoping the body contouring, lack of binding etc will make it feel more natural and confortable for a long-time Fender player. This time, as a precaution, I won't remove the pickup cover or change strings for a while so - if it's a no no - I don't lose my right to return to the retailer. But fingers crossed it works out fine and dandy. Still think they look cool AF

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Clarky said:

OK, I am giving Ricks one last crack. Just moved on my almost-new jetglo 4003 and take delivery of a new jetglo 4003S tomorrow. Hoping the body contouring, lack of binding etc will make it feel more natural and confortable for a long-time Fender player. This time, as a precaution, I won't remove the pickup cover or change strings for a while so - if it's a no no - I don't lose my right to return to the retailer. But fingers crossed it works out fine and dandy. Still think they look cool AF

Not wanting to extinguish your BBQ, but I wouldn't say that the S versions have contouring, simply a radiused slab body. It does soften the edges compared to the bound tops but still not as comfortable as a Fender IMO. I hope I've overstated it so please keep us updated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2022 at 22:31, Clarky said:

How's it going with a 4003S? 

1 minute ago, Clarky said:

Actually really enjoying it! Played it this evening and the neck, weight and body contouring all suit me better than the 4003 it replaced

That's great news. The difference is subtle but significantly improves playability for those (of us mere mortals) that the binding aggravates.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Perhaps you can explain how the heck your wrist hits the binding? 

With most people - including me, although it doesn’t actually bother me - it’s more the forearm. I don’t float my arm so much, I often rest it on the body.

I guess it depends on the position of your right arm, how high/low you wear the bass (maybe if you wear it very low it could affect the wrist) and possibly whether you play with pick or fingers. 

• Like 2

On 25/01/2022 at 03:00, Downunderwonder said:

Beats me what contortions one would have to do to have a conflict of forearm and binding.

19 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Perhaps you can explain how the heck your wrist hits the binding? 

If you type 'bass player' into Google images, nearly every picture shows a professional bassist with their forearm resting on the bass. 

Hence most basses having a forearm contour. 

It's not that hard to understand is it? 

• Like 5