Why become a member? ×

Tried a Rickenbacker...

LukeFRC

31 minutes ago, ambient said:

Wasn’t that what he wanted? I seem to remember him using very narrow gauge 030 - 090 Rotosound strings then, the same as Mark King. His worst sound for me was the later jazz bass. I was listening to a live album a few days ago, the bass sound got annoying after a while.

True, but it defeats the purpose of using a Wal to strip out all that low mid and crunch. Why fight the natural sound of a bass like that?

I tried a set of those 30-90s and was terrified I'd snap them. The tension was all wrong too. They came off after one rehearsal. Utter crap.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wolverinebass said:

True, but it defeats the purpose of using a Wal to strip out all that low mid and crunch. Why fight the natural sound of a bass like that?

I tried a set of those 30-90s and was terrified I'd snap them. The tension was all wrong too. They came off after one rehearsal. Utter crap.

I totally agree, I think heavier gauge strings with more tension bring out the tone of the wood more.

Ludicrously, eight months after being 'launched' at NAMM in California, this is STILL not available:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/rickenbacker_4003s5_mapleglo.htm?sid=37d22fa6bed62b78e05dde5063b5e162

Being one of the lucky few to have actually played this bass, I can assure (most of) those who dislike the Rickenbacker that the 4003S5 actually addresses the great majority of the issues discussed here.

I have absolutely no need for any more basses, but if I was going to buy just one more brand new bass it would be one of these.

2 hours ago, gjones said:

Paul Weller''s bassist plays one. It sounds very woolly to my ears. Almost as if the bass player's amp is covered with a huge mound of pillows. 

Not a good sound.

He plays a 4004 (a Cii I think but could be a Laredo).  A different beast, 2 humbucking pups - sounds very different to a 4003/4003s.  I had one briefly - I also found it unfocussed and undefined, apparently if you change the pot resistances it's supposed to open it up a bit.

4 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I've played my Ric in a handful of pop/rock/soul/disco function bands, with two blues/rock trios, and even with a swing and blues band, using the neck pickup and foam mute. I've also used it with a modern pop artist, and while (of all things!) a Thunderbird with the modern Gibson pickups naturally sounds best for the deep bass sound he likes, the plan is to try Rick-O-Sound, heavily processing the neck for a deep bottom octave or so, and using the bridge for a few bass guitar voices and synths/effects.

All this is with bright round-wounds which shove the sound into the 'typical' clanky, gritty Ric tone, but halves or flats would tame that no end, as with any other bass.

Although I got a good price on mine, the bass doesn't quite give the quality one might expect for the vast outlay. The fret dress could be more consistent considering the recommended straight neck setup, and there is a slightly rough spot on the back of the neck. And sure the pickup surround is a little awkward even with a bezel, but overall I find the bass very comfortable- surprisingly comfortable- to play. The sound is great, claiming a strident place in the mix without stepping on any toes, and underpinning with a solid low end, which is remarkably responsive and controllable. It looks as cool as, and of all my varied basses gets the most love and requests to be used. People just dig it, and it even gets regular mentions from the authentic, old-fashioned swing and blues band, despite me mainly sticking with a 50's style single-coil P-bass with flats and foam for that.

I couldn't give a flying ferk about the CEOs personality, and while much heavier handed than most I do believe he is well within rights to protect his intellectual property. Due to some legal oversights early on in the industry, I'd say that it could in fact be the guitar and bass buying public who have become too used to cheap (or expensive) knock-offs of classic designs being available everywhere. Is he really the one acting spoilt, or are we?

Regardless, we do love broad generalisations and hate-figures round here, almost to a tabloid level. Rics are not for everyone, sure, but we ought to be careful of heading into all-muslims-are-terrorists land. Not everyone agrees that a P-bass is best, not everyone likes roundwounds, and we express that, but given some high profile negativity, Ric have been slathered with some genuine demonisation.

It does do to remember (and I say this as a professional bass player and gear obsessive) that much of what we discuss here is in fact splitting hairs over a few pieces of wood stuck together. Rickenbackers are somewhat unusual bass guitars, nothing more, nothing less.

Ooo actually I imagine with flats they could go into some interesting sonic territories that others couldn’t reach. 

6 hours ago, ambient said:

Wasn’t that what he wanted? I seem to remember him using very narrow gauge 030 - 090 Rotosound strings then, the same as Mark King. His worst sound for me was the later jazz bass. I was listening to a live album a few days ago, the bass sound got annoying after a while.

I'm actually the opposite, and love his later Jazz tone. Really lively and crunchy.

On an  'it's in the fingers' type-thing, I was watching the 'Grace Under Pressure' DVD last week, after doing the 'Exit Stage Left' a few days before. 'GUP' is the Steinberger, 'ESL' the Ricky.

What I noticed was on the DVD's, how similar the tones were. Never really paid much attention to it before, but there really wasn't much in it.

I did an EP with a band a few years back, used a '77 4001 on 3 tracks, and a '78 on another (both long gone). Sounded great, but the tone of the '78....a few people thought that it (and to a certain extent the '77) was a Jazz bass! Some Jazz basses can do classic Ricky better than the real thing - I've had both - and to me, that is sometimes certainly the case.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, spongebob said:

I'm actually the opposite, and love his later Jazz tone. Really lively and crunchy.

On an  'it's in the fingers' type-thing, I was watching the 'Grace Under Pressure' DVD last week, after doing the 'Exit Stage Left' a few days before. 'GUP' is the Steinberger, 'ESL' the Ricky.

What I noticed was on the DVD's, how similar the tones were. Never really paid much attention to it before, but there really wasn't much in it.

I did an EP with a band a few years back, used a '77 4001 on 3 tracks, and a '78 on another (both long gone). Sounded great, but the tone of the '78....a few people thought that it (and to a certain extent the '77) was a Jazz bass! Some Jazz basses can do classic Ricky better than the real thing - I've had both - and to me, that is sometimes certainly the case.

I’ve just bought the three concert thing ‘different stages’ they’ve got out, not listened to it yet though. That’s going to be Rick, Wal and Jazz. The tours are 94s counterpoints, 97s test for echo and 78s farewell to kings. I’m not really much of a fan of their early material, it’ll be interesting to hear him playing the Rick though.

I have a bit of a soft spot for them and owned two 4001's during the Eighties. I found them to be one trick ponies ... but it was a good trick (fresh Rotosounds, a touch of overdrive and YEAH BABY!)

I recall one occasion whereupon a really talented Fender player looked my Ric up and down and sneered, "Why don't you get a real bass!" I actually never quite understood what he meant at the time ... but now understand. They are not exactly user friendly to set up nor necessarily easy to  use. I am also nonplussed as to the sky high pricing.

Just my two bobs worth.

23 minutes ago, White Cloud said:

I recall one occasion whereupon a really talented Fender player looked my Ric up and down and sneered, "Why don't you get a real bass!"

Talent has never necessarily gone hand-in-hand with intelligence, or indeed with basic politeness.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Graham said:

Conversely, since the bassist in Clutch started using one, I've found their live sound has deterioted - sounds like he's got the neck pickup soloed, giving it too much bottom end.

Dan Maine changed the pickups in his to Rickenbacker humbuckers as found in the 4004. He seems to like them, but they are much darker and woolier than you would expect from a Rick. I don't like them much 😁

I love the look of them and from what I've heard, the sound of them. Unfortunately I've tried several in shops over the years and can't get on with the shape and feel of them.

I have a similar problem with thunderbirds which I also love but just can't get used to the playing angle despite buying (and then selling) 2 of them

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

Dan Maine changed the pickups in his to Rickenbacker humbuckers as found in the 4004. He seems to like them, but they are much darker and woolier than you would expect from a Rick. I don't like them much 😁

Much preferred it when he played the Les Paul bass

• Like 1

I've got a Matt black 4003s and its the best Ric I've owned and the best passive bass I've owned when I think of it.

The Satin finish on the neck is just superb combined with the lack of binding its the two things I never got on with on the normal 4003.

The Bass player in YYNOT gets the sound we all love.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, EssentialTension said:

Rickenbacker seems to work for this guy ...

So far the tracks shared have mostly been of a type of rock where the Rickenbacker sound works really well ... but interesting not music I ever really listen too... 

this though sounds great and where he’s got it sat in the mix is just perfect - I mean being the most famous bass player in the world, and being the man man and songwriter helps but that is a good bass sound

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ambient said:

narrow gauge 030 - 090

They're great on my B2A but it is an active bass.

23 hours ago, Skybone said:

Each to their own.

Some love them, some hate them, most are indifferent.

(Said of Rickenbackers.)

I am in another category altogether.  I like them only for their looks.  I don't want one though.  Too much baggage.

22 hours ago, Wolverinebass said:

They are definitely for the those who are light of touch.  Set up correctly for such a gauge, any bass should sound okay with them.

22 hours ago, ambient said:

Ever so slightly off topic. I used to play in a band with a guitarist who played a Rickenbacker guitar, that really was the most beautiful looking guitar. A very distinctive sound too.

Rickies are stunning to look at in my opinion too.

Beyond that there is no great attraction for me.  Maybe I'll change my mind after trying one but I don't think I'd be comfortable with one.

On 03/09/2018 at 21:02, silverfoxnik said:

I love the look and the neck shape/profile on them but realise Rickenbackers divide opinion more than almost any other bass..

*snip*

Interestingly, I find my 2004 Gibson Thunderbird has a very similar neck profile to my old Rickenbacker and I really enjoy playing it for that reason.

*snip*

Same as, they do look cool, and I've gigged a Rickenbacker but the only other thing I liked about it was the slim neck.

I'd be interested to have a go on your T-Bird, are bringing it to the SE Bash? :) 

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Same as, they do look cool, and I've gigged a Rickenbacker but the only other thing I liked about it was the slim neck.

I'd be interested to have a go on your T-Bird, are bringing it to the SE Bash? :) 

Certainly am.. ☺

Feel free to give it a whirl...

• Thanks 1