Why become a member? ×

Rackmount effects

la bam

15 hours ago, la bam said:

Sorry - i just think its way too expensive for what it is.

It's cheaper than an SVT head. It can sound like an SVT head. It's lighter than an SVT head.

It must do a decent impression of, what, £250,000 of gear if you added up all of the models. Any of it in infinitely variable in any order.

To answer your original question, I've used a Peterson Rack Tuner and a Presonus Studio Pre before (which has a great compressor built in), both of which I would highly recommend.

21 hours ago, la bam said:

Yeh, maybe i put that across wrong..... it is great value, but for me you are paying for a lot of guitar stuff in there.

If they made a bass only model at half the price id have one in a shot.

And that's why you are looking at the Helix all wrong. 

The only bass-specific module I am currently using in any of my patches is there as an "effect" because I like the distortion sound the drive control on one of bass amp models adds to the bass. Most of my patches don't have any amps or cabs at all, because after all an amp (as I keep saying) is just something to make your instrument loud with a baked in sound and some limited EQ adjustments to that baked-in sound. I normally just use one of the EQ modules instead. Same result and usually with more versatility. Where I am using an amp model it's a guitar one - based on the Roland Jazz Chorus combo.

For me, this is the big strength of the Helix. You can do what you want. Because everything is digital there's no chance of breaking it, as you could if you used the actual device and expected it to reproduce bass guitar frequencies at gig volumes. The worst thing that will happen is that it simply won't sound very good, in which case simply try another module instead.