Why become a member? ×

Midlands bass (and guitar) bash 4/5/19

jebroad

14 hours ago, owen said:

For the irony impaired, that was me being ironic. 

I don't see any irony in any of your comments, just rudeness at an offer to bring along some basses that might be of interest to some people.
Fair enough, no interest, I won't bother bringing anything then if these are the sort of comments it attracts.

• Haha 1

irony1
/ˈʌɪrəni/
noun
noun: irony
  1. the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

What Owen really meant was that that's an offer to kill for, and that everybody would be more than interested to see the bass!

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

What Owen really meant was that that's an offer to kill for, and that everybody would be more than interested to see the bass!

I think what was more implied here was sarcasm.

sarcasm

A tongue of which the user speaks of something the complete opposite of what the user means. It often has the best comedic value.

As sarcasm is usually meant for humour, was my comment meant to invoke humour, or was his comment meant to be humorous?

One of the most misused words in the entire English language. 

There are several types of irony. 

Socratic irony - When someone pretends to be naive about a certain subject, and uses his questions about it to point out a flaw in the established belief. This is often used on the TV show South Park, where the children often ask questions about a situation until the folly in a parent's decision becomes clear. 

Sarcasm - Understatement, mocking overstatement, or heavy-handed irony (stating the flat opposite of the truth) where both parties are aware of the difference between what's said and what's actually happening. 

Clearly, another misuse of the word irony.
Neither irony or sarcasm are best put across in text form, especially when neither party knows each other, and cannot define whether the comments are meant to be humorous or not.
I'm sure we have all had the meaning of some text, even to a friend misinterpreted, let alone a complete stranger.
Edited by Eboclive
  • Haha 1

Nononononononononononono

I would LOVE to see both of them. In no way was I being sarcastic. I was suggesting that getting to see a couple of Wals would be very excellent. I was attempting subtle humour. I clearly failed. Sorry if you took offence, I was attempting the opposite. 

I loved Wals so much back in the eighties, mainly because Mick Karn played one and Paul Raven. I remember playing Paul’s a few times at rehearsals and thinking that I’d finally played a grown up bass, they were the few times I’ve ever tried one and I remember deciding they weren’t for mortals like me. It would be interesting to try one now I’ve grown up!

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

Very much hope to make it this year.  Won't put my name down just yet though, as I have some dep gigs coming up in May - as soon as I know exactly when and where they might be I will be able to confirm my attendance one way or another. Might even bring some gear this time!  🙂

• Like 1

Chowny? Jon Shuker? ....... I'm there

1. jebroad

2. Len_Derby

3. Jabba_the_gut

4. Spondonbassed - Hohner B2A

5. Andyjr1515

6. Jimothey

7. Mojo

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this years so will make a concerted effort to come next.  The only thing that I have that anyone might be interested in having a play with is my 80s Mesa bits - D-180 and 1516.  If anyone is interested i could bring, otherwise it would just be me and daughter(s).

• Like 1

On 25/10/2018 at 10:46, Eboclive said:

I don't see any irony in any of your comments, just rudeness at an offer to bring along some basses that might be of interest to some people.
Fair enough, no interest, I won't bother bringing anything then if these are the sort of comments it attracts.

Now now children 🤪

On 25/10/2018 at 10:46, Eboclive said:

Irony - sarcasm - rudeness - the inability to covey nuance in written text.

All these things aside, we’d really like you to bring your Wal basses.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 1

As there doesn't seem to be a North West or Manchester bash coming up, I'll try to make this - it sounds fab!

Must first receive the necessary permissions from 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' :/

Will confirm when I've received my punishment beating :whoopass:

:)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Irony - sarcasm - rudeness - the inability to covey nuance in written text.

All thes things aside, we’d really like you to bring your Wal basses.

I would. I’ve never played a Wal. I could pretend to be Mick Karn for a while (if Mick Karn had forgotten how to play)