Why become a member? ×

Midlands bass (and guitar) bash 4/5/19

jebroad

@jebroad

Splendid.

Next time we meet, I want to have a go on that massive and classic looking head that was parked near to @Frank Blank and his rig.  Although I got a go on Frank's Mouse (very nice it was too Frank); you were busy, I was on-call, there was so much to see, folk to catch up with and so-on that I didn't get the chance.

It looked like summat from the seventies.  Am I close?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

@jebroad

Splendid.

Next time we meet, I want to have a go on that massive and classic looking head that was parked near to @Frank Blank and his rig.  Although I got a go on Frank's Mouse (very nice it was too Frank); you were busy, I was on-call, there was so much to see, folk to catch up with and so-on that I didn't get the chance.

Sometime around there- yes. Absolute bargain that head was

• Thanks 1

For those who were at the talk on experiments with taking weight out, I mentioned an interesting YouTube clip someone's done using a neck-only guitar with detachable identical bodies in various woods.  I said I'd post the link, which is here:

The first part covers what he has done and how and why and includes the results through a microphone (not an entirely scientific method) but 12min 40sec onwards covers all of the results, one after another, on the DAW (including the wave-forms) - by his admission, still not properly scientific but more relevant.

Clearly - and he mentions this - it is still affected by the way he plays the down chord in each case so not infallible, but interesting nonetheless.

The relevance to my talk was my own realisation (from my own experiments and off-the-wall projects) that actually, you can get SOME sort of half decent instrument simply by bolting everything to a suitably rigid neck - and that you can then take significant liberties with the body itself (in my case, taking weight out).  Clearly, this guy sort of comes to a similar conclusion, albeit from a completely different direction. :) 

Edited by Andyjr1515
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

The relevance to my talk was my own realisation (from my own experiments and off-the-wall projects) that actually, you can get SOME sort of half decent instrument simply by bolting everything to a suitably rigid neck - and that you can then take significant liberties with the body itself (in my case, taking weight out).

Here's the K-2T - just bit of plywood with pickups screwed on the front! His MDF guitar is 40 years late!

251202850_K-2T(2).thumb.JPG.35bea3fe966e4efba654b218aaf93aa2.JPG

433718331_K-2T(3).thumb.JPG.c4ef4cdde4103f6129150378e6c8c755.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

@jebroad

Splendid.

@jebroad‘s gear was so cool, reminded me of stuff I used to use back in the punk days, I was a tad jealous! Sorry we didn’t get to chat @SpondonBassed, can’t imagine what I was busy doing apart from plugging @Jabba_the_gut‘s basses. No doubt we’ll chat another time, it was excellent that you both made it though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Andyjr1515 said:

you can get SOME sort of half decent instrument simply by bolting everything to a suitably rigid neck - and that you can then take significant liberties with the body itself (in my case, taking weight out).

There’s an interesting video you might have seen where Jens Ritter gives a tour of his workshop and talks about using the thickness of the wood to tune the sustain which I meant to ask you if you had seen

• Like 1

Been away for the weekend so first chance to catch up on this. Thanks again to the organisers. As usual spent most of my time nattering to folks rather than actually playing with gear (I think the beatle bass was the only one I played that belonged to someone else) and glad to hear some funds raised for a good cause via the raffle.

On 05/05/2019 at 07:07, jazzyvee said:

I think the bass that stood out for me sound wise was the Enfield. No idea who was playing it or whose they were or what model. 

That enfield with the huge "super 8" pickup on it?  I had a go on that - got lost amongst all the knobs and switches.  There were lots of sounds available with lots of very subtle differences between the 15 pickup combinations, plus blend and tone pots ... but I couldn't find one that really hit the button.  Maybe need to go on a training course.

However, the other bass the same person brought (bright trans-red, with a set of J pickups AND a P pickup between them) had an AMAZING sound.  Can anyone remember what make its pickups were? Something american I'd never heard of.  ... and he's selling it for only £1850!