Why become a member? ×

Midlands bass (and guitar) bash 4/5/19

jebroad

I really enjoyed the afternoon and would like to thank the organisers and participants. The presentation on reduced weight vs feel and sound was really interesting and thought provoking.

As a maker of small bass cabs it was revealing how much interest there was in the short scale basses which produced a plummy, warm , soft but deep sound. As a jazz bass freak i use a much cleaner sound. I didn’t get chance to be too analytical but the stacked TC 1x12’s where throwing out that chewy bottom end in piles. The Barefaced cabs were a marvel too.

I didn’t try too many basses as I’ve got the dreaded tennis elbow which struck me after playing someone’s bass at Bass Direct. It’s a surprise that some lovely basses have an action too high for easy playing. To all the players out there, it really isn’t difficult to truss the neck straight. I tried a lovely bass of an unknown brand which required a bit of a neck tilt adjustment. If anyone’s worried about this kind of work on a bass I’m happy to help if you come to my place in Walsall.

My favourite was the Sadowsky ...it was the metro ie not made in New York and not chambered so a little weighty ....but hey this was a music machine. Thanks for letting me play it.

I think it would have been better if we gave each member 10 mins to take us through their rig/basses/sound as the booming was hard to talk over and let y’all hear a DHC Bass cab. 

I’ll be back. It’s fun. Bass players are the good guys 😁

Please contact me if I can help you with a set up or a cab.

[email protected]      07495763638

Only took one decent picture but had to be the Alembics and the Barefaced with Delano Mills. 

106259E3-92C9-47FA-BC08-45B08537057D.thumb.jpeg.44ce6432f4f5fec7b51c3cf10b26e7c5.jpegQ

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, DHC Bass said:

... The Barefaced cabs were a marvel too...

.. I tried a lovely bass of an unknown brand which required a bit of a neck tilt adjustment...

Blast! I forgot to try the Barefaced cabs!! The unknown bass was my Brawley Artemis, and as two people made similar comments I shall look to get the action lowered at some point in the near future. 

I shall also bring a quality hand-held sound recorder to the next bash. People can record what they try and I'll post a play list to soundcloud. 

14 hours ago, Sibob said:

Not sure I can take credit for whatever you’re referring to.....it almost certainly wasn’t me :)

Si

True enough.  I own up to having a senior moment and getting my Simons in a twist.

Credit was intended for @Si600 for his management of previous East Midlands Bass Bashes.

Sorry to you both.  No confusion intended.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BCH said:

Thank you to all the team...great basses & good to meet fellow BC's 

I was sorry to have missed meeting you.

I thought I'd recognise your neck but... no.  If I'd had more time to myself I would have liked to have sought you out for a chat about your JabbaBass.  The clip you posted a while back was tantalisingly short but sweet enough to make me want to hear more.

Next bash maybe?

8 hours ago, Geek99 said:

I think you richly deserve this 

It's very kind of you to say.

Thank you from both of us.  It's the first really good day out that either of us have had since August of last year.  Winning Andy's modified Jag was completely unexpected and made Jack's whole week for him.

I probably saw you in passing but I haven't a clue what you look like.  I'll look forward to meeting you at the next one.

Cheers!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

It's very kind of you to say.

Thank you from both of us.  It's the first really good day out that either of us have had since August of last year.  Winning Andy's modified Jag was completely unexpected and made Jack's whole week for him.

I probably saw you in passing but I haven't a clue what you look like.  I'll look forward to meeting you at the next one.

Cheers!

You would needed eyesight that eagles would envy as I was busy in sunny Coalville painting our bathroom white with silver sparkle dust 

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I was more wondering how @Geek99 was adding the glitter sparkle dust 

If his screen name is owt to go by I'd say he's managed to electrostatically charge his bathroom walls and powder coat the wet white paint.

If I was doing it, it would involve a modestly sized explosive device and a bucket of glitter, Mr Bean stylee.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Did you make that chocolate cake? Or did you buy it? Or something else?

Suspect Mrs Teebs was happy to make it as she was getting him out of the house for the day....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Did you make that chocolate cake? Or did you buy it? Or something else?

Mrs Teebs was booked to make the cake, but I was off work on friday, so I 'borrowed' her recipe & did the construction (or whatever the correct term is) of the cake. :) 🎂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Teebs said:

Was also nice to meet @DHC Bass

& try his fabulous speakers.

Have GAS now! :(

Will try to save up  👍

After having them explained, I've just had one of my speakers wired up to a signal generator.

Distressed to see the sound dropping like a stone below 69Hz.

I removed a handle to create a port in the side... and it got slightly worse 😞

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

After having them explained, I've just had one of my speakers wired up to a signal generator.

Distressed to see the sound dropping like a stone below 69Hz.

I removed a handle to create a port in the side... and it got slightly worse 😞

What’s the speaker? Porting should be mathematically worked out for best results - you risk damaging stuff if you’re not careful. 

3 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

I was more wondering how @Geek99 was adding the glitter sparkle dust 

Valspar, you buy the dust and stir it in. Roller it on. Paint a few plan coats under it first. My girls have gold dust in their room paints. The bathrooms are sparkly silver on white

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

What’s the speaker? Porting should be mathematically worked out for best results - you risk damaging stuff if you’re not careful. 

An ancient (30+ years) pair of 12" Mackenzies in a box made to similar dimensions to the 12x12 cab I already had. I think they are intended for guitar use and happy in an open back cab so probably pretty robust.

I have tried to get Thiele Small parameters for them but they have no identifying model details.

If I can find a nice cardboard tube of suitable diameter I will experiment with different port sizes.

Actuially looking at the chart on my earlier thread they might be the 12-100 TC - they have big voice coils and twin cones.

Interested to see you having problems with a bass cab. Before any experiments with side ports, or apertures or tuned ports start with the basics. I’ve been here and got bogged down with “technicalities”. 

Start with a sealed box if you can. This will show you the true sound of the drivers. As long as it’s well made and sealed you find how low the driver can go and be able to hear if the top end is sufficiently high enough for your “sound”. It’s essential that the driver is a tight fit to the baffle. I’ve had real issues with distortion when fitting new speakers to existing apertures which are slightly too large. I cut my baffles to each type of speaker. They do vary. 

Test to see if the speaker cone is happy to move more by cutting a small aperture of about 50mm in the baffle or any side of the box. You might find the the increased freedom for the cone is improving the bass or the efficiency (sound level). Get to this start point and we can discuss the next step.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Richard R said:

How much did the raffle raise? 

Not sure yet as the hall hasn't told us how much it cost yet (its about 70 quid). But our money from admissions and raffle -which all profit from will go to Nordoff robins- is around 230 pounds.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, jebroad said:

Not sure yet as the hall hasn't told us how much it cost yet (its about 70 quid). But our money from admissions and raffle -which all profit from will go to Nordoff robins- is around 230 pounds.

Well done @jebroad

and thanks 👍

• Like 3