Why become a member? ×

Bassy Things With 6 Or More Strings...

binky_bass

It's no secret that I'm a man who likes a bass with 6 or more strings!

Here's my stash of 6+ string basses, let's see what else is out there with 6 or more strings!

(Extra points for 7, 8, 9 etc. stringers!)

20180902_161603.thumb.jpg.d700ccd300461b3d3065276ef1ae3c7b.jpg

(Left to right: Lakestone 7, Conklin USA 8, De Gier 6, De Gier 6, Aries 6, Aries 6, Overwater 7, Overwater 7, ACG 9, Bee Bass 10)

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Here's my stash of 6+ string basses, let's see what else is out there with 6 or more strings!

(Left to right: Lakestone 7, Conklin USA 8, De Gier 6, De Gier 6, Aries 6, Aries 6, Overwater 7, Overwater 7, ACG 9, Bee Bass 10)

Don't buy another one, Russ, or you'll need a new couch. 🤣

Three of them used to be mine, guess which ones.

10 hours ago, blablas said:

Okay, I'll bite!

My DIY builds.

mk1_6.jpg

mk2_7.jpg

mk3_6.jpg

mk4_7.jpg

A few I bought.

black-beast-fl.jpg

corvette_RB6.jpg

revelation-b.jpg

And few DIY oddballs, but with at least 6 strings. 😉

mk2_4_b.jpg

mk4_4.jpg

And yes... they are lefties.

I've been looking at, and quite tempted by the Revelation myself as I'm specifically looking for a E to E guitar tuned 6. What do you reckon to it? 

I've owned one or two Revelation guitars in the past, they are very well built and can be picked up pretty cheap second hand. Comparible to a high-end Epiphone I'd say.

3 hours ago, Hellzero said:

Don't buy another one, Russ, or you'll need a new couch. 🤣

Three of them used to be mine, guess which ones.

The couch is an L shape with 3 more seats so I have some space left for more 6+ stringers!!

21 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Did you get an oversized sofa before you had an oversized collection of oversized bass guitars?! 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, binky_bass said:

Your sofa is extended range too!!

• Haha 1

Here's my 3.

1034866874_IMG_20180828_1101482.thumb.jpg.30e64fcb52ccdfc7e75efacfe6bc9923.jpg

I was trying to get a nice shot of them, but my son decided he had a better arrangement for them...

All ACGs, all 6 strings, all 31.5" scale.
Left to right: Salace SC E Type Headless, Finn SC Classic, Krell SC E Type Headless Fretless

It's not really a secret that I'm a massive fan of Alan's work, and I am one happy/lucky bunny to have such amazing instruments at my disposable.

Eude

• Like 3

Very nice, I love an ACG, I've had a few 4 string ACGs in the past and they were great, missed out on a great 6 string ACG that was for sale at a very keen price on here last year, unfortunately it was bought and then instantly resold by the buyer at twice the price! The 9 string I have really is a masterpiece and will never be sold! Alan knows how to build a great bass, and better yet, knows how to build a great ERB!

20180905_182539.thumb.png.c41a2a8289935933c4575370235f6552.png

• Like 2

On 02/09/2018 at 16:12, binky_bass said:

That Conklin is absolutely superb, could you tell us a bit more about it?

I like your Aries basses too, I seem to remember seeing the one on the right hand side on sale here and considered buying it myself. Do I also recall seeing that orange-coloured Overwater on Bassdirect until a few months back?

My only six in the collection is my Raro custom, it's my #1 player.

OPcEw7F.jpg

Edited by Mastodon2
  • Like 1

I was tempted by that Raro when it was up for sale! The 'orange' Overwater is a lot more yellow in the flesh, it's not the one that was on here recently though I did buy it from here probably 4 or 5 years ago.

The Conklin was made by Bill Conklin himself in 2007 for Ishibashi Music in Japan, it was designed as a 'show stopper' and has an intimidating spec!

Buckeye Burl top, pink ivory fretboard with Wenge stringers, wenge/rosewood neck, 24 fret, 8 string, custom Conklin magnetic pickups, custom RCM piezo pickups, RCM Midi pickup system, duel stereo output with midi output, duel truss rod with graphite reinforcement bars, Hipshot Ultralite tuners, RCM individual bridge rails. 34" scale. Demeter pre-amp.

Controls are: top row: Vol, mag blend, piezo vol, midi vol. Middle row: bass, mid, treble. Bottom row: switch for piezo only/mag and piezo/midi only and midi toggle switch.

The Bass has a cost of $12,000 when built and is NEVER leaving my possession! It's simple incredible and the best bass I've ever owned (except Binky).

20180602_153812.thumb.jpg.6f9e9255aae717e9636af76ff02c1139.jpg

• Like 2

On 05/09/2018 at 18:28, binky_bass said:

Very nice, I love an ACG, I've had a few 4 string ACGs in the past and they were great, missed out on a great 6 string ACG that was for sale at a very keen price on here last year, unfortunately it was bought and then instantly resold by the buyer at twice the price! The 9 string I have really is a masterpiece and will never be sold! Alan knows how to build a great bass, and better yet, knows how to build a great ERB!

20180905_182539.thumb.png.c41a2a8289935933c4575370235f6552.png

I've been lucky enough to play that VERY bass a few years ago.
It's the only proper ERB I've played, played beyond my 6ers, and the 7 string Sei also owned by the original owner and it was simply divine!

Not too heavy, not too daunting, and after a bit of time not even that difficult to play.

I have a bass specced up similar on my bucket list, should I ever win the lottery...

Eude

34 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I was tempted by that Raro when it was up for sale! The 'orange' Overwater is a lot more yellow in the flesh, it's not the one that was on here recently though I did buy it from here probably 4 or 5 years ago.

The Conklin was made by Bill Conklin himself in 2007 for Ishibashi Music in Japan, it was designed as a 'show stopper' and has an intimidating spec!

Buckeye Burl top, pink ivory fretboard with Wenge stringers, wenge/rosewood neck, 24 fret, 8 string, custom Conklin magnetic pickups, custom RCM piezo pickups, RCM Midi pickup system, duel stereo output with midi output, duel truss rod with graphite reinforcement bars, Hipshot Ultralite tuners, RCM individual bridge rails. 34" scale. Demeter pre-amp.

Controls are: top row: Vol, mag blend, piezo vol, midi vol. Middle row: bass, mid, treble. Bottom row: switch for piezo only/mag and piezo/midi only and midi toggle switch.

The Bass has a cost of $12,000 when built and is NEVER leaving my possession! It's simple incredible and the best bass I've ever owned (except Binky).

20180602_153812.thumb.jpg.6f9e9255aae717e9636af76ff02c1139.jpg

Binky is incredible!

Eude

• Like 1

@binky_bass - you were looking at getting a custom Warwick Thumb made up a while back, did anything come of it?
I've always dreamed of a 6 string Dolphin, and more recently a 32" scale one. They're now basically making anything you want, but obviously at a cost!
Another one for the bass bucket list I guess...

@eude, I didn't pursue the Warwick idea as the spec I wanted came out with a custom shop quote of over £14,000. Which is just insane money, yes it would of been probably the nicest Warwick ever created but for £14,000 I could buy a small fleet of second hand Foderas without them losing £10,000 in the second they're delivered! 

current weapons:

SIGN CUSTOM 6, build to my specs:

sc6_ready_01.jpg

Lefay Herr Schwarz 6, the first one, too build to my specs:

lefay_hrschwarz6.jpg

Vigier Passion 6, No 011

passion.jpg

Vigier Arpege 6, No 005

arpege_005.jpg

Vigier Arpege No 026

arpege_026_gigbag.jpg

Kost Sujet Standard 6

kost_sujet_a.jpg

Peavey TL-6

peavey_tl6_frontal_800.jpg

Lett fretless 6

letts_komplett.jpg

Warwick Thumb NT 6

warwick_thumb6_frontal.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll report on former 6-artillery later on.

Edited by marcblum
  • Like 1

haha, the TL-6, best value/price ratio ever. Payed 550€. Bassculture pickups, neck veeeryy broad. My drummer loves this one, always disappointed when I bring in some other bass.

These Vigiers are outstanding. Best neck profile / playability of all basses I ever owned. Attack faster than traditional basses, but a bit softer than typical high end instruments. Very well suited to all kinds of music.

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

@eude, I didn't pursue the Warwick idea as the spec I wanted came out with a custom shop quote of over £14,000. Which is just insane money, yes it would of been probably the nicest Warwick ever created but for £14,000 I could buy a small fleet of second hand Foderas without them losing £10,000 in the second they're delivered! 

Wow! £14,000!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...