Why become a member? ×

Bassy Things With 6 Or More Strings...

binky_bass

7 hours ago, fleabag said:

So how do you get your hand curved round the fretboard to reach the low strings ? Especially that 10'er

Here's Jean Baudin on an 11 string >>

I'm not sure how @binky_bass plays his ERBs but the above is gold standard as far as I'm concerned, not necessarily what folks would consider bass playing, but absolutely incredible musicianship as far as I'm concerned..

• Like 2

I actually had the privilege of staying with Jean for 3 days some years ago, I bought his 9 string Pac-Man Conklin and as I flew over to San Francisco to collect it, he kindly put me up for 3 days! The man has a crazy collection of vintage arcade games in his basement. 

Also has the honour of playing that very bass... it's a savage beast! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, binky_bass said:

I actually had the privilege of staying with Jean for 3 days some years ago, I bought his 9 string Pac-Man Conklin and as I flew over to San Francisco to collect it, he kindly put me up for 3 days! The man has a crazy collection of vintage arcade games in his basement. 

Also has the honour of playing that very bass... it's a savage beast! 

Wow, that must've been awesome!
I'm a big fan of Jean's playing, and his stuff with Nuclear Rabbit, his Kenneth Lawrence bass is simple awesome!
I know he has a couple more on the go, one fretless but man Kenneth takes his time making these things, it's been years!

7 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Kenneth Lawrence is not that young anymore, so he's taking his time and has nothing to prove. 😉

That's fair enough of course. Just seems like a VERY long time, several years would be too much for me personally, but like you say, nothing to prove and his customers will know the score.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 03/09/2018 at 09:01, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've been looking at, and quite tempted by the Revelation myself as I'm specifically looking for a E to E guitar tuned 6. What do you reckon to it? 

Neck is quite narrow (although not as narrow as Fender and Squier Bass VIs).

If you want to have a look at all the different bass VI options have a read of this thread.

I'm currently using a Burns Barracuda. It has a wider nut and better string spacing at that end of the neck, but is narrower than the Squier at the bridge. I'll probably end up getting something custom made that has the string spacing and pickup routing options that suit me.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
Guest M-rek

Here's my 6er

7E24633E-A068-4B7E-AB5F-F727F34FA355.jpeg

It's a heavily modified Spear S-2, changed pretty much everything except for the tuners, which work okay.

This is the bass before the band saw touched it

3E266CB2-8BC8-4B9D-AC16-730C5CB1C55C.jpeg

42 minutes ago, M-rek said:

Here's my 6er

7E24633E-A068-4B7E-AB5F-F727F34FA355.jpeg

It's a heavily modified Spear S-2, changed pretty much everything except for the tuners, which work okay.

This is the bass before the band saw touched it

3E266CB2-8BC8-4B9D-AC16-730C5CB1C55C.jpeg

Wow! What a transformation! That looks amazing, great work mate!

Eude

• Like 1

Guest M-rek
3 hours ago, eude said:

Wow! What a transformation! That looks amazing, great work mate!

Eude

Thanks. Took me quite some time, over all about 3 weeks, as I had to wait for the delivery of the Delano Xtender pickup. 2 full days of heating/scraping and sanding the existing lacquer (it's a neck-through... 🙇‍♂️)!

But I'm pleased with the result. Converted it to full passive, it had a 3 band EQ with active/passive switch, mute switch and blend. Now it's just a master volume, tone control and the chicken head knob operates a 4 way rotary switch, setting the pickup either to single coil neck, series, parallel or single coil bridge operation. I like simplicity! :-)

• 1 month later...

I thought I’d dip my toe in the world of ERB’S so heres my offering 

It started out as a Washburn XB-600 that I bought of here but after a bit of cosmetic surgery it turned in to this..........

5031D006-8FAE-46F4-9EB4-1F2D1A1C0FC8.jpeg.9d72f2d3df949b1dfe9eefc64a78007c.jpegF7DF26BB-F8B9-401A-BC83-784C7C4FD47A.jpeg.0e6d2c5729cac54cd33f27d6d9ffd153.jpeg

i still haven’t managed to sort out the electrics properly so I haven’t really played it yet!?!...........😳

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

For the moment it's a Kalium 192 taper core string.

It's this set exactly https://kaliummusic.com/product/string-pack-1s2d2v333b3j3p63/

But I'm waiting for a quote for nickel hexagonal exposed core strings from a French string manufacturer nearby or I'll put some Newtone taper core nickel as I like them a lot.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...