Why become a member? ×

September Composition Challenge - GET WRITING

Skol303

September Composition Challenge is now underway!

Here’s the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month's winner, @JBP… 

500.jpg

Rules:

• Avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.
  • Make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds and samples in your track.
  • Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition.

The deadline for entries is midnight on Sunday 23rd September.

3 hours ago, Skol303 said:
  • Avoid any content that other forum users may find offensive.
  • Make sure you have permission to use any 3rd party sounds and samples in your track.
  • Entries should be no more than five minutes long and written/produced during the month of the competition.

So, bagpipes are cool this month? Asking for a friend.

Edited by Mornats

26 minutes ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

I've been working on something we recorded this week. It's a tune we've had knocking around for a while but has had a total re-imagining and arrangement, and has a space theme. Not sure if it entirely fits the entry requirements. Shall I put it up?

The rules do ask that it be written/produced in the month , that's only 10 hours . It might fit the theme but how much work has been done to it ? If you have spent the last 10 hours on it , go for it  and post it.

Ha! I've never spent 10 hours on any of my entries, even when I've had to play everything myself! You can tell just by listening to my tunes, I treat it as an exercise in getting something down, then NOT going back to it to fiddle and fix. Anyway, I'm away next week until closing, so it's this or nowt.

I recorded bass and backing vocals today and mixed it, so you could say I've "produced" it this month :)

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

Why do you not want to go back and fiddle and fix? Many Symphonies have evolved into top work this way, along with many other classics throughout history I should imagine.

Just curious, really...

:D

Firstly, that's an 'open-ended' exercise, in that, if no line is drawn, it's never declared 'Finished..!'. Setting oneself a deadline (at any point, not just 'first version'...) is almost always a Good Thing. Secondly, and, in my case, even more importantly, 'fiddling and fixing' makes things steadily and remorselessly worse..! This, in many walks of life ('Oh, just another pinch of salt and it'll be perfect...', or 'I'll just ease another millimetre off that wobbly table leg...').
There are many examples of classical compositions that are better unfinished than polished (or sometimes, re-polished...), Schubert's Eighth being the prime example. B|
It's a healthy quality, knowing when to stop. It's a pity our Lenny has never 'twigged' this simple fact. 9_9

:lol: :P :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 2

Yeah, what he said ^ :)

With my stuff and also the band, the takes aren't usually good enough to warrant really working on perfection, and they hate doing a tune more than twice unless it has to stop cos someone dropped a total Pollock.

This week, that was me, on several occasions!

Fiddle, I possibly understand, finish I totally understand - Fix is another matter for me.

If I am asked to 'fix', or a suggested 'fix' from someone who is paying, or indeed if I have missed something that needs fixing, i am more than happy to go back and fix.

Otherwise the deadline, is handed over to someone else, to become their deadline....

Edited by lowdown

1 hour ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Yeah, what he said ^ :)

With my stuff and also the band, the takes aren't usually good enough to warrant really working on perfection, and they hate doing a tune more than twice unless it has to stop cos someone dropped a total Pollock.

This week, that was me, on several occasions!

Absolutely fine. Like I said, I was just curious, that was all.👍

hi folks, i have been rather absent recently thanks to a particularly stubborn case of writers block. i have just been struggling to feel musically inspired. i had a couple of tunes for the comp recently but i never got past a quick record of a basic idea. so i decided to throw something together this morning and get it out and maybe i can kickstart my inclination again. so this was all done in an hour or so and each track was only recorded once, so dont expect a masterpiece.

the tune is meant to fit the scene of a couple of stoners sitting in the grass talking about how we will colonise the moon and the physics of garden maintenance. no, of course its not based on personal experience, how could you think such a thing? you must be some kind of crazy person. i dont have to listen to these wild accusations! (it was a long time ago😜)

• Like 5

On 02/09/2018 at 14:56, Mornats said:

So, bagpipes are cool this month? Asking for a friend.

Inform your friend that the ninja hit squad has been dispatched and although merciless, are at least painlessly efficient.

giphy.gif

On 02/09/2018 at 21:50, MoonBassAlpha said:

I've been working on something we recorded this week. It's a tune we've had knocking around for a while but has had a total re-imagining and arrangement, and has a space theme. Not sure if it entirely fits the entry requirements. Shall I put it up?

Generally speaking, it's not good form to chuck any old track into the composition challenge, which is meant to be geared towards interpreting the picture. It also creates a level playing field whereby everyone has the same amount of time/ opportunity to compose their entry.

If someone has a track that really fits the theme and they're simply burning to share it, then we can of course make exceptions (this is meant to be a fun event after all!). But in such cases I'd ask the entrant to make this known, so that everyone can take account of it if they wish when voting.

Edited by Skol303

Here is my contribution to the September 2018 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by last month's winner: JBP.
Three Kontakt strummed guitars and 'vocals' from Harry, that's all. A spot of delay and light compression; nothing more.
Edit: By popular request, I've replaced Harry's fine vocal effort with my very own dulcet tones; a first. Whatever next, singing..? Ha..!
The 'lyrics' are set out in full below, for those wanting to sing along. The chords..? They sound familiar..? Could be, although I've made 'em very much campfire 'vanilla', so...
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Lyrics...

For folks below who moaned at
The noise of my machine
I've found the perfect answer to
My grass-cutting routine
Of which I'm very keen

I'll take my Flymo to the Moon
I know it seems a dream
But out here, up in Space
No-one can hear me scream

No-one can hear me scream
At all those rotten neighbours who