Why become a member? ×

Heart attack

bassmachine2112

'Heart attack' is a catchall term for so many different problems - advice for the wrong one could be misleading at best, life threatening at worse.  If I were in your shoes I'd be looking for the advice of those who treated you and know exactly what your problem is, not a bunch of random bass players who have never met you.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Paul S said:

I'd be looking for the advice of those who treated you, not a bunch of random bass players who have never met you.

Rubbish, we know EVERYTHING. My grandad was a doctor anyway, so that proves it. What you should do is mix up some porridge with Nutella and rub it on your chest before you go to bed. In the morning stay in bed until at least 11am. Scrape off the mixture and microwave it for two minutes. Serve it up to your wife or partner as a kind of brunch. You will feel a lot better for this. Then avoid watching ANYTHING on TV that could be seen as even SLIGHTLY controversial - especially News programmes. Cancel your newspapers and don't listen to News on the radio. I guarantee your stress levels will reduce massively.

PS: Glad this didn't actually kill you. ;)

• Haha 5

I'm not going to offer medical advice. I'm sure you already have all that. But here's how I (at least try to) approach life. 

If you ain't enjoying it, you're doing it wrong. If gigging stresses you out, don't do it. If you find it enjoyable then it's the best medicine in the world. ( Feel free to replace "gigging" with any other activity) 

Life is very short and you only get one shot. Might as well enjoy the ride. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

I had angioplasty procedures last October and had stents put in two heart arteries that had some blockage and was gigging within a week.I did not have a heart attack and there was no damage to my heart.Both of my cardiologists said to keep on with my normal activities and continue on with several meds they prescribed.So far so good,I will be seeing the cardiologist for a long term checkup in a couple of weeks and will have several tests done and I'm hoping all is well and I can keep going with my quite active life at age 72.I might even be able to stop some of the meds if things look good.

I am a worrier and have had lots of stress in my life but I am learning to handle it better, well,a bit better.

Good luck and remember there are a lot of us in the same boat, or maybe the same band seeing this is a BC thread.

Take advice from your consultant and no-one else as far as the heart condition is concerned.

With regards playing and dealing with stress i think others have already mentioned it. If you stress about gigging you need to re-evaluate what your doing.

There's a difference between pre-gig nerves and getting stressed about gigging.

Can i ask what exactly is it that stresses you about gigging ? Perhaps we as a bass forum can offer some advice on chilling out and reducing pre-gig nerves rather than actual medical advice.

At least there's no heart damage which surely is a good thing.

Dave

6 hours ago, discreet said:

Rubbish, we know EVERYTHING. My grandad was a doctor anyway, so that proves it. What you should do is mix up some porridge with Nutella and rub it on your chest before you go to bed. In the morning stay in bed until at least 11am. Scrape off the mixture and microwave it for two minutes. Serve it up to your wife or partner as a kind of brunch. You will feel a lot better for this. Then avoid watching ANYTHING on TV that could be seen as even SLIGHTLY controversial - especially News programmes. Cancel your newspapers and don't listen to News on the radio. I guarantee your stress levels will reduce massively.

PS: Glad this didn't actually kill you. ;)

Do you favour putting salt in the porridge given the reported effects of too much salt on cardiac health?

Milk on my porridge. No salt. and maybe a spoonful of honey for a change. My Father in Law has porridge every day and always has done and he's 80 and still going strong. And he makes it the old traditional way too. None of that microwave stuff for him xD

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

My Father in Law has porridge every day and always has done and he's 80 and still going strong. None of that microwave stuff for him.

My grandad (the other one) would make thick porridge with salt then leave a plateful of it in a drawer overnight. Have to say I was never tempted but he loved it.

10 hours ago, ead said:

Do you favour putting salt in the porridge given the reported effects of too much salt on cardiac health?

I can't speak for the respected member but it has been implied that he might benefit from a sprinkling of salt on his tail.

9 hours ago, discreet said:

Salt? Of course not! A tablespoon of marmalade is the healthy option. The sort with bits in. Good for exfoliation.

Personally I put a pinch of salt to three desert spoons of rolled porridge oats (not instant, never, no way) then mix with three desert spoons of semi-skimmed milk and three desert spoons of water before microwaving for three minutes under a 700W magnetron.  That makes a small breakfast portion.  If I want a treat I add ALDI's nuttiest granola on top.

Marmalade on porridge is a good call.  I like chunky cut marmalade on non-white bread too.

PS; I seldom add sugar or salt after cooking.  If seasoning is done properly during the preparation of a meal, nothing is needed on top with certain exceptions where salt must only be introduced at the point of consumption to avoid excessive osmosis.

Edited by SpondonBassed

I've had relationships with three nurses and a doctor and played in a band with a surgeon so I'm more than qualified to offer advice.
I suspect it comes down to how you feel. Someone else has already said "heart attack" is a catch all term, the effects are many and varied.
I used to regularly play with a guy who was really knocked for six by a heart attack, he had to be careful about what he ate and drank but was playing again fairly quickly. It aged him a bit and he was never quite the same , but if you feel well enough to play then why not? 

4 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Really?  Have you read ^this^ back to yourself out loud?

Not at the same time , this experience has taken about thirty years to acquire. (I've also been on dates with two craniosacral therapists but that only counts in the event of a tie break)

Edited by Dom in Somerset
  • Haha 1

So all those years of study at University, then internship then general practice are a waste of time.  Just hang out with those that are qualified and that'll do!  Amazing - could solve all the problems in the NHS that way.  😂

3 minutes ago, Paul S said:

So all those years of study at University, then internship then general practice are a waste of time.  Just hang out with those that are qualified and that'll do!  Amazing - could solve all the problems in the NHS that way.  😂

Isn't that how it works? None of my patients has ever complained.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Dom in Somerset said:

Isn't that how it works? None of my patients has ever complained.

Nor had to pay due to the Nick Riviera get-out clause perhaps?

I know you mean well but you've put yourself up for some stick.  I can't speak for others but I'll leave you alone now.

Edited by SpondonBassed