Why become a member? ×

MM 2018 Stingrays

KiOgon

5 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

It does indeed. Picked it up and took it straight to a gig 😉

I am aware that :useless:.

I will sort that out tomorrow. Or later on today even.

Well you've got to do something to cheer yourself up when the Steelers are sitting below THE BROWNS in their division!!!  🤣🤣🤣

I'll look forward to seeing pics, nice one 👍

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Ooh, you know how to kick someone when he’s down (currently gone back to bed with a stinker of a throat/chest infection). I really don’t know what going on with the Steelers. The game they drew, they should have won and if they had continued doing what they doing in the first half last week, they should have beaten the Ravens. They have the talent, just need to sort themselves out!

Hopefully you'll have better luck against the Falcons, and with the Browns playing the Ravens you may just leapfrog them!

My teams season is pretty much over already, what with Jimmy G's injury, then again were the 49'ers ever going to tear it up anyway... very much doubt it!

Get well soon mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

In fact, to save me getting out of my sick bed, this link shows the actual bass I’ve bought.

As I previously mentioned, I tried a 4H in this colour at Peaches, Colchester which there were a couple of issues with. Fantastic sounding instrument, but I wasn’t prepared to lay down that amount of money for a bass when I wasn’t 100% with it. Plus, I’ve wanted to replace my boat anchor of a 4HH for some time now and was determined that if I was going to get a Special, it would be the 4HH version.

I couldn’t find any in this finish anywhere. As we know, a lot of the (IMHO) nicer finishes were snapped up on their release and currently reside in the houses of several Basschatters 😀. A bit of determined browsing revealed this one at DV247. I’ve always had good experiences with them, so thought I would enquire. After sending a message to them, I received a reply from James at the Romford store (17 miles from me) stating that this bass was in their shop in Cologne 😬.

Somewhat resigned and disappointed, I expressed the fact that I had wanted to see/play it before buying and he said ‘No problem, I’ll ship it over and you can have a look at it’. Win/win for me then. Wouldn’t get this service the other side of Brexit I thought. It turned up on Wednesday and I went down yesterday afternoon and had a look. What a terrific bass it is. Straight out of the box it has this astonisghly low action without choking anywhere on the neck. @Chiliwailer - It’s as low as my ‘96 J which almost defies logic in how low it is.

So glad I held out for the 4HH in the finish I liked best.

Massive thanks to James at DV247 for going above and beyond with the added bonus of honouring DV247’s price matching policy. 

https://www.musicstore.de/en_OE/EUR/Music-Man-StingRay-Special-HH-MN-Burnt-Apple/art-BAS0009970-000

Great to see you got the one you wanted, and that it's a good'n  :)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Dragged myself out of my sick bed and took some better photo’s. At the moment I’m really liking position 4 on the selector.

+1 on positon 4.

I've been enjoying the other positions too and find they come to life better in the mix rather then solo'd. 

And how nice are those necks?! 😛

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Dragged myself out of my sick bed and took some better photo’s. At the moment I’m really liking position 4 on the selector.

309490D2-BE08-4E65-8ED8-6D8091CE2A66.jpeg

FDCEC9EC-B1AC-444C-B7B5-70AFD442F6DF.jpeg

Congratulations and enjoy - looks fabulous. I would be curious if/how the sound differs from my ebony necked example. Clearly the larger metal flake load on the aqua blue body is the other difference 😂😏

Ive found the single bridge H setting to be highly usable on mine thanks to the revoicing of the mid range. I must have been lucky with each of my dual pick up Musicman basses - both my 2007 blue Dawn LE 4HH and 2014 Classic Sabre Neptune blue edition are relatively light (noticeably lighter than my 9.75 lb Classic Stingray) - however the 4HH Special is significantly lighter than them also. I find myself using it a lot as its so comfortable - no back ache whatsoever after 2 X 1 HR sets. 

With all of these basses, I often use the middle setting (both Hs with all coils) - the slap sound especially is great and the finger style has a full but slightly scooped sound - so much so that I boost the mids when using it (has to be amp on the Sabre as its a 2 band).

Another 4 months till I get the 5 string version of the HH...... 

Big thanks to Strings and Things (UK EBMM distributor) once again...

A couple of  months back I posted that they sent me a free EB tool kit when I registered my Old Smoothie online for extended warrantee (via the official EBMM website). . 

Today I received the free gift below for registering my Stingray Special :)

23F1242D-E55E-452E-8EB9-D6A87089197A.jpeg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

No need to despair Rodney,... if a company actually wants to be nice to their customers then surely it should bring hope? 

I think it’s nice to see positives in the little things. YMMV :) 

Agreed. Strings & Things are good. It wasn't that though.

Edited by rodney72a

3 hours ago, rodney72a said:

Agreed. Strings & Things are good. It wasn't that though.

Aw, now you’ve give and left us all on a cliffhanger! 

So what’s up? Is it...

Option A - I’ve received £75 worth of gear for registering 2 basses and it’s because I’ve posted about it (as I thought others might want to know and do the same)

Option B - Because I’ve registered my basses for extended warrantee  

Option C - because Music Man set up the scheme 

Have a good day Rodney. 

• Haha 2

So I just popped into PMT Leeds to try a bass out and ended up trying four! 

They have the dark glitter finish, single pickup with a roasted neck in... and I got to try it... 

and it’s a pretty lovely thing - such a nice neck, lightweight and really really lovely instrument. It feel less agricultural than the traditional stingrays - which is a good thing.

tone wise - no idea as I was going through their orange bass terror so not what I was used too at all- sounded a bit like a stingray! You could hear the treble point was a bit different as it didn’t have that stingray ‘click’ going on. 

So yes, nice instruments! 

I also tried a fender USA Jazz bass (meh- not great), a custom shop relic P bass (nicer than the jazz, fun to play) the stingray and a sandberg J/MM thing (really nice feeling but a bit underwhelming sonically after the ray) 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

Aw, now you’ve give and left us all on a cliffhanger! 

So what’s up? Is it...

Option A - I’ve received £75 worth of gear for registering 2 basses and it’s because I’ve posted about it (as I thought others might want to know and do the same)

Option B - Because I’ve registered my basses for extended warrantee  

Option C - because Music Man set up the scheme 

Have a good day Rodney. 

I'm grateful for your heads up, or else I probably wouldn't have bothered registering. It's nice when companies give something back like this when so many others don't bother.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ruiner said:

I'm grateful for your heads up, or else I probably wouldn't have bothered registering. It's nice when companies give something back like this when so many others don't bother.

Absolutely mate, thanks. In addition, I’ve been watching a Talkbass thread on these basses whereby Scott Ball has been posting and replying to members.

Music Man was my first love, then Fender, these days I have both, but I feel more respect for Music Man as a company, I think it goes deeper than good PR, they seem to really get it, by making great instruments with enthusiasm. 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1

Me too - I have felt thus about EBMM (and MM before it) and S and T since my first new Stingray purchase around 1979.

Thanks for the pointer and it's nice to see your enthusiasm about the free gifts - for those who don't know each instrument has the attached card in the case:- 

image.thumb.jpeg.df24dd014bdeb5b3f29c73257bf63925.jpeg

I do have to take issue with Luke FRC's description of the pre 2018 Stingray as 'agricultural' - those of us with these instruments (or many of them in some cases like Rodney72a, Hiram K and myself), this feels quite insulting. They have always been high quality instruments and capable of absolutely top rate bass sound of varying styles. See below - even Roger Sadowsky says so 😏 

Now there are basses which are or can be rather agricultural in feel etc - sometimes of a name beginning with F. My experience is its sometime the players rather than the basses which fall into the 'a' category...😬

image.thumb.jpeg.d3cce0834ad026343844dfebc8befcd1.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, drTStingray said:

do have to take issue with Luke FRC's description of the pre 2018 Stingray as 'agricultural' - those of us with these instruments (or many of them in some cases like Rodney72a, Hiram K and myself), this feels quite insulting. They have always been high quality instruments and capable of absolutely top rate bass sound of varying styles. See below - even Roger Sadowsky says so 😏

If you want to compare it to the one I played today it was an ok adjective. Not brilliant, but works to get across what I was trying to say. The older basses are chunkier, heavier and built with 1970s construction techniques- the one I played was different. For what it’s worth if I were to go out and buy a stingray I would go get a pre EB someone I know has it sounds amazing - then I would get the stripped ‘88 with bitsa 3 band eq added and worn frets that just sounded good - then I would get the more lithe new one. Agricultural isn’t bad, the continued popularity of precision basses Prove this! 

If your basses do what you need them to I don’t think you have any cause to be insulted by another’s opinion of them. 

I agree with the fundamental principle that everyone is entitled to their view.

However the phrase 'quality instrument', which EBMM instruments have always been, and the term 'agricultural' don't sit correctly together and for that reason, I think the comment is wrong.

My own view of the 2018 Stingray (compared to the earlier variants) is they're simply different - and really the description in the early 90s product sheet quotation I posted applies - they've made careful modifications, the sum of which produce an excellent instrument (they also address some people's criticisms of weight - although this is possibly more pertinent for the older player, better sound balance etc etc) - there are also some other useful changes like the hugely playable, ultra slick, roasted maple necks. 

As all of EBMMs basses are hand finished the necks are all very marginally different - but not that much so and frankly there has never been a chunky neck Stingray like say a late 60s Precision in that respect (the fact it wasn't was a huge selling point to me in the 70s) - or indeed a five string Stingray with a very chunky (baseball bat) neck. 

Im afraid I disagree, therefore but you're entitled to dislike them for whatever reason you wish. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Thanks 1