Why become a member? ×

MM 2018 Stingrays

KiOgon

51 minutes ago, RedVee said:

It's not as easy as that, I have spoken to several dealers who tell me that the suppliers Strings and Things do not have or are not waiting for HH models in sparkle colours. If you wanted something like Sunburst in HH there is a chance as it is supposedly a popular colour. I got a UK dealer to phone Strings and Things to ask them about a Dropped Copper HH and he was told it would have to be a special order and would take 9 months for delivery.If it was me I would demand a full refund.

Bloody hell. Refund it is then!

I had a dealer call me back today ref my initial enquiry from a few weeks back for a Charcoal Sparkle 4HH.  They said they were expecting a couple of HH models in over the coming weeks but the Charcoal Sparkle “wasn’t available in that configuration”.  I should’ve offered to send him a photo of one 😂.

However, the upshot is that dealers are obviously being told by Strings & Things that certain colour/model combinations are special order only.

It will be interesting to see what feedback Ruiner gets from his HH with the dodgy neck. Can you imagine waiting 9 -12 months for a sparkle or Copper HH only to find on delivery that it has a fault like Ruiners and then having to send it back and wait another 9-12 months because that config/colour is a special order type. That would mean a total wait time of 18-24 months to receive the Bass you had originally ordered. Maybe the turnaround time for faulty items is quicker, I will wait for Ruiners report on his situation

Edited by RedVee

He may be better off getting a refund on that one and putting a deposit down on the one he wants to buy.  

To be honest that is the only one I've seen with that issue - not sure why it has it - the pocket gap is a little bigger than some would desire - although not unusual for other manufacturers. I doubt the one pictured by Hiram K actually came from the factory like that. 

Generally, stock items tend to be the ones which are more likely to sell - same with Guitar Centre - the spread put on by Andertons was most unusual (and included my customer order...) !! As I said before if you want something unusual placing an order is the best way to get it. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

/homann have an HH in that colour due in 7-8 weeks./

Link here.

Thanks for the heads up.  I've just placed an order 😊

If GuitrarGuitar can get back to me with an earlier time for a replacement I figured I can always cancel it.

Due in stock 09/11/2018 apparently.

Update from GtrGtr:

"I have just got off the phone with strings and things who have said that they have none in stock and none on order so a new one would be 9 or 10 months from point of order."

Hopefully the Thomann ETA is correct. Fingers crossed

cleardot.gif
Edited by Ruiner
Update on situation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Musicman20 said:

...and cheaper?! Thomann have a huge buying power as well....so you will probably get the bass quicker and cheaper hahaha!

Win-win.  Trying not to count my chickens yet as I half expect to get an email from Thomann advising that the estimated date is a mistake and it'll be 6-8 months not weeks 😆 

• Haha 1

On 08/09/2018 at 17:45, Deedee said:

.........well, resistance proved futile. 😔

This thing looks great, sounds amazing and plays beautifully.  I quickly came to the conclusion that I didn’t need a HH model.  😎

47074ED4-E3A9-4889-9D38-4901046BB3B2.jpeg

Likewise, I’ve just ordered the same from Andertons. My need for shiny and sparkly new things is killing my wallet. Damn you Basschat! 😂

• Haha 1

My Charcoal Sparkle 4H arrived today and...wow!  

The neck is fantastic and the bass looks and feels great overall.  When I first lifted it out of the case I was very (pleasantly) surprised at how light it felt.  I've just weighed this in at 8.2lbs, against 9.6lbs for my Classic Ray. 😎

• Like 5

7 hours ago, gazhowe said:

My Charcoal Sparkle 4H arrived today and...wow!  

The neck is fantastic and the bass looks and feels great overall.  When I first lifted it out of the case I was very (pleasantly) surprised at how light it felt.  I've just weighed this in at 8.2lbs, against 9.6lbs for my Classic Ray. 😎

Congratulations - great basses 👍

• Like 1

Question to all owners of the 2018 Stingrays - what's the verdict?  Average , good, excellent?    And how do they compare to previous models?

i have a early 90s SR5 , and it has a birds eye maple neck that is to die for.  But I really really want a 4-string, so one of these beauties looks just the ticket.

2 hours ago, garyt said:

Question to all owners of the 2018 Stingrays - what's the verdict?  Average , good, excellent?    And how do they compare to previous models?

i have a early 90s SR5 , and it has a birds eye maple neck that is to die for.  But I really really want a 4-string, so one of these beauties looks just the ticket.

My Charcoal Sparkle 4H is very comfortable with a very smooth and fast neck.  Build quality is excellent as you would expect for a bass costing £2k+.

I've just done the first two gigs with mine this weekend and it just sounded fabulous. 

So far, and probably with a bit of bias because its new, I prefer the sound of this to my other Ray's (a 3EQ and a Classic).  The bass control isn't at all boomy when boosted and it is easy to dial in a variety of great tones. The biggest difference IMO is that it doesn't have the top end raspy quality of the 3EQ which was a planned approach according to the Musicman promo video. 

I've been using my Ray's as backups to my Status S2 for years but this is so good I think I'll be using this as my main bass for a while. 😎

Edited by gazhowe
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, garyt said:

I agree with Gaz above, especially regarding the updated EQ and lack of raspy tones. 

I’m kind of on the fence to be honest, though I think the Specials are excellent and much more refined I still love the attitude of my 2015 3 band EQ Stingray too. I couldn’t call either ‘better’ than the other.

Ideally I’d have both, but only one can stay so it’s the Special as it’s lighter and is an HH. 

Edit - the Special can still do attitude,  but there’s something more ‘punky’ about the old one that I still like. YMMV. 

Edited by Chiliwailer

4 hours ago, gazhowe said:

My Charcoal Sparkle 4H is very comfortable with a very smooth and fast neck.  Build quality is excellent as you would expect for a bass costing £2k+.

I've just done the first two gigs with mine this weekend and it just sounded fabulous. 

So far, and probably with a bit of bias because its new, I prefer the sound of this to my other Ray's (a 3EQ and a Classic).  The bass control isn't at all boomy when boosted and it is easy to dial in a variety of great tones. The biggest difference IMO is that it doesn't have the top end raspy quality of the 3EQ which was a planned approach according to the Musicman promo video. 

2 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

I’m kind of on the fence to be honest, though I think the Specials are excellent and much more refined I still love the attitude of my 2015 3 band EQ Stingray too. I couldn’t call either ‘better’ than the other.

Ideally I’d have both, but only one can stay so it’s the Special as it’s lighter and is an HH. 

Edit - the Special can still do attitude,  but there’s something more ‘punky’ about the old one that I still like. YMMV. 

I agree with both of the above comments. As Chiliwailer said the best word to describe the Special is ‘refined’.

Compared to other Stingrays, I’d say the the build quality and overall feel is like that found on the previous PDN models, but with the added bonus of the new 3-band EQ in a lighter package.  I usually like heavier basses, but there is certainly no hint of these feeling cheaper than their weightier forebears.

With regards to the smoothness of the sound, I’d agree that it’s still got attitude/can go punky. The re-voicing has not made it more aggressive.  Certainly not as aggressive as a Sterling for example, which is my particular favourite at the moment. 😁

Edited by Deedee
Typo

I had a look at these in GuitarGuitar in Glasgow last week.

I didn’t play them, but I picked up each of the three that were on display. They looked absolutely lovely, and the finish on the roasted necks felt great.

They varied noticeably in weight, and I was surprised to see a bit of a gap on the horn side of the neck pocket.

Without playing them, I liked them very much, but I dunno if I would pay the asking price.

1 hour ago, songofthewind said:

They varied noticeably in weight, and I was surprised to see a bit of a gap on the horn side of the neck pocket

Hmmm wonder if that's the charcoal 4HH I returned.

Edit: as they now seem to have one in stock I'm guessing it is.

Edited by Ruiner
  • Confused 1