Why become a member? ×

MM 2018 Stingrays

KiOgon

If anyone is interested in how these are with flats, I've put some Chromes on and I doubt I'll be able to take them off now. Even with rounds I found all pickup positions very usable, but with the flats I've managed to make the neck pickup sound closer to a P Bass, whilst backing off the bass and treble a touch. Doesn't sound as P like as my Fender P, but it's passable and great in the mix. Great slap sound too with both pickups on. Very happy bunny ;) 

• Like 4

On ‎08‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 17:45, Deedee said:

.........well, resistance proved futile. 😔

This thing looks great, sounds amazing and plays beautifully.  I quickly came to the conclusion that I didn’t need a HH model.  😎

47074ED4-E3A9-4889-9D38-4901046BB3B2.jpeg

Very nice D, looks very similar to my 'old style' Starry Night PDN jobby.  I'd love to be able to justify one of these but swmbo would string me up by the danglies...

Is this going to provide competition for the Precisions?

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 1

On 10/09/2018 at 12:50, martthebass said:

Very nice D, looks very similar to my 'old style' Starry Night PDN jobby.  I'd love to be able to justify one of these but swmbo would string me up by the danglies...

Is this going to provide competition for the Precisions?

It certainly will for now, can’t wait to use it in anger.  Actually, I did consider  messaging you to see if I could prise your Starry Night off you 😁.

As for justifying it I have no justification for it at all, not even to myself!  Just pure unadulterated lust I’m afraid 😍

Edited by Deedee
Justification?
  • Like 1

On 9 September 2018 at 10:33, Chiliwailer said:

If anyone is interested in how these are with flats, I've put some Chromes on and I doubt I'll be able to take them off now. Even with rounds I found all pickup positions very usable, but with the flats I've managed to make the neck pickup sound closer to a P Bass, whilst backing off the bass and treble a touch. Doesn't sound as P like as my Fender P, but it's passable and great in the mix. Great slap sound too with both pickups on. Very happy bunny ;) 

That's interesting. Ive generally used position 4 (away from the bridge) for that type of sound (inner coils only) - probably need to boost the mids though. I've found the neck hb soloed can get towards an Alembic sound with some judicious tweaking of the EQ (on my regular SR4HH) - have yet to try with the new bass - I'm generally using bridge hb or both hb currently. 

I have Thomastic flats on my classic Stingray and that sounds excellent - I can only imagine what the higher output revoiced SR Special must sound like with flats - quite an eye opener I'd think. 

Im finding mine has very strong resonance played acoustically and particularly harmonics. 

Edited by drTStingray

On 10 September 2018 at 03:17, Miki Groove said:

Some pics of my bumblebee bass! Now with back hardware.
I love this bass ❤️

IMG_20180910_041307.jpg

IMG_20180910_041337.jpg

IMG_20180910_041348.jpg

Looks great - the whole package including the ebony (?) and roasted neck and especially with that SR5 scratch plate - you have some other interesting looking basses in that rack!!

I was at an outdoor gig the other  day and a guitarist/singer was plagued by a vicious wasp - I hope that bass colour doesn't attract such insects this time of the year 😯

Edited by drTStingray

Has anyone found a proper light one yet?

Spec sheets says average 8.8lb - the guys on Talkbass have found even a few sub 8lb, but from posts up there ^ it seems that so far the UK have got 9lb + ones.

I sense a conspiracy! :D 

If I can raise the money then I might have to email all the big bass shops and just say - Find me one at 8lb. In black. GO!

I reckon mine is around 8.5 lbs if not lighter. I haven't noticed anything odd about string alignment - in fact they even line up properly on the HH across the pole pieces on both pick ups - the previous HH were slightly off centre on the poles on the neck pick ups. Do you think it could just be that bass? 

Im waiting on a Cruz teal 5HH - I was given an update and quoted a new delivery date earlier this week - 25/1/19 😧 a 9 month wait from initial order - good job I'm not in a hurry!! 

Edited by drTStingray

Hello Basschat people.

Can anybody confirm what accessories come with these?

I couldnt resist grabbing a charcoal sparkle 4HH recently when I saw one in stock at on online retailer, however it looks like I'm missing the MM branded cloth bag I see in some of these photos and there are no supplied allen keys or any tools for adjustments for that matter. I also have the pickup configuration sheet of a 4H model not the 4HH I bought.

This isn't the first time this has happened from the shop in question so just thought I'd check. 

Also, the neck pocket on this one isnt great.  I'm not massively well versed on these things but can I get some opinions on whether people think a loosening of the neck bolts and slight readjustment might fix this or have I received a particularly shoddy example (see pics)?

DSC_0441.JPG

DSC_0445.JPG

DSC_0450 edit.jpg

22 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

You’ll have to wait some time for another one, but I would send it back as it would just bug me forever more.

Yeah you're right. Such a shame because in every other respect this is a fine instrument but at this price point I want to be 100% happy with it.

Thanks for your advice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, martthebass said:

Don’t think I’d be happy with that neck pocket either, I’ve had it and accepted it on £150 basses but at £2000+ I’d expect much better. I’m assuming this crept through QC - don’t think I’ve ever had an MM like that.

Agreed. At this price point? Frankly, I’d be expecting near-perfection. Anything less is an insult to my intelligence and, arguably worse, my wallet.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, martthebass said:

Don’t think I’d be happy with that neck pocket either, I’ve had it and accepted it on £150 basses but at £2000+ I’d expect much better. I’m assuming this crept through QC - don’t think I’ve ever had an MM like that.

Very true.  In my experience it’s very unusual for an EBMM to not be top quality in terms of fit and finish.  I’ve always found consistency of quality to be one of their major plus points.  I’m thankful that mine is spot on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Musicman20 said:

Are these necks roasted but not figured? 

I think so.  Mine’s roasted and feels beautiful, but visually is not like the tiger striped effect that was on such as the PDN Neptune Blue models. There’s a hint of it but certainly not as striking.

Edited by Deedee
Amended

3 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

I had a look at a green model in GG in Glasgow and thought the roasted finish on the back of the neck was very unattractive, especially for the money you are shelling out.

I too think that the back of the neck looks very poor and un attractive with the headstock being roasted and the neck not. I know why this is done but looking at one it looks cheap and nasty, especially with a ring around the headstock on the back of the neck which is all over the place........Very poor from EB!

Edited by RedVee

The necks on the Stingray Specials are standard (not highly figured) roasted maple - head stocks are lacquered and the back of the neck has an oil and wax finish.

Mine has quite quite a lot of figuring in it but generally not birds eye or flame. I like mine a lot - the darker maple looks cool in my view. 

The ebony board is very dark. 

Edited by drTStingray