Why become a member? ×

MM 2018 Stingrays

KiOgon

15 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Yes, they are stunning aren't they.

I purchased this from our very own @BassTractor some time ago. The neck is particularly exquisite. 

...and the weird thing is, it's one of only two  -  of the 15 I did away with  -  that are still missed on a daily basis, the other one being a fretless SR-5, even though I actually thought I preferred the Bongo for both ergonomics, 4-band EQ and looks. Their universally usable sound is one thing, and them starting to play when you just look at them is another. I hope it served or serves you well.

Incidentally, the Neptune Blues were the last of the specials that got my heart beating faster, but:

"This new line is dangerous!" shouts my wallet at me, with indignation in its voice. I knew I should stay away from the Gear section!.

BTW, I've never come across a Music Man with dead spots that I could hear (or not hear 🙂 rather).

• Haha 1

Please ignore all my other posts above about not being in the market for one...after a bit of curiosity, ‘clever accounting’ and a trip to Andertons I came away with one :)

The purist in me wanted a single H, but having had a HH 5’er before I was interested again, and after clicking with this HH I had to have it so got the old plastic out. I was honestly quite prepared to come away empty handed, and almost expected to because I already have a killer Ray, but they really are fine instruments and 8.6 is a nice weight. . 

The new colours are great, the charcoal and burnt apple really sparkle in the light nicely. The stealth black hardware was cool, though surprisingly it didn’t call out to me like I thought it would the more time I spent with it. 

The older Rays in the Shop didn’t sound good at all next to the Specials, however my 2015 Ray is an exceptionally good one and next to my new Special they kind of compliment each other. I wouldn’t say either was better, just different. The 2015 sounds like it has more growl, ring and roughness, whereas the Special sounds like a Ray that’s been smoothed off a little. It took a while to get used to the tone controls as they of course react differently to the old style, but the results are great and I like it. 

A0CF3E24-573F-44DA-8426-5AE039044458.jpeg

C2C0C7B7-E84F-42DF-A1D5-3E5D1045BFC8.jpeg

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 7

50 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Aha. The obligatory ‘sofa shot’. Or should we say the ‘Chiliwailer Casting Couch’? 😜

How long do I have to wait before I can buy it from you? 😂

All joking aside, I’m really pleased for you mate, but honestly, what chance do I stand if I go shopping at the weekend? 

I think the one thing that might hold me back is finding the right HH in the right colour, so there may be a glimmer of hope that I may come away empty handed. 

Haha, you mean the ‘coach of doom’ surely?! 

Its super comfy, nice and versatile, and very different to my other Ray. Would be nice if I’m not touting it to you in the future 😂

I think the colours need to be seen in the flesh, so to speak. The Burnt Apple has a lot more sparkle than I presumed, and the charcoal sparkle looked seriously sparkly in the shop. The two blue ones looked different to me too, and even the stealth hardware looked different to me close up. 

What colours were you after? 

Edited by Chiliwailer

3 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

Please ignore all my other posts above about not being in the market for one...after a bit of curiosity, ‘clever accounting’ and a trip to Andertons I came away with one :)

The purist in me wanted a single H, but having had a HH 5’er before I was interested again, and after clicking with this HH I had to have it so got the old plastic out. I was honestly quite prepared to come away empty handed, and almost expected to because I already have a killer Ray, but they really are fine instruments and 8.6 is a nice weight. . 

The new colours are great, the charcoal and burnt apple really sparkle in the light nicely. The stealth black hardware was cool, though surprisingly it didn’t call out to me like I thought it would the more time I spent with it. 

The older Rays in the Shop didn’t sound good at all next to the Specials, however my 2015 Ray is an exceptionally good one and next to my new Special they kind of compliment each other. I wouldn’t say either was better, just different. The 2015 sounds like it has more growl, ring and roughness, whereas the Special sounds like a Ray that’s been smoothed off a little. It took a while to get used to the tone controls as they of course react differently to the old style, but the results are great and I like it. 

Gorgeous.  I was thinking earlier that the new colours are unfortunately making me overlook the ‘standard’ colours that have been perfectly acceptable to me for the last 10 years.  🤔 More pondering.........

12 minutes ago, Deedee said:

Gorgeous.  I was thinking earlier that the new colours are unfortunately making me overlook the ‘standard’ colours that have been perfectly acceptable to me for the last 10 years.  🤔 More pondering.........

Exactly that mate, I hadn’t even considered this colour until I got there and had it stare at me. The other colours are really nice, but I didn’t feel like any were in my dull comfort zone ;) 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Deedee said:

You wouldn’t happen to know how many 4HH’s they have in stock would you?  I’m toying with the idea of a road trip/stop over this weekend 😁

There was a sunburst HH on display, that’s all I can tell ya. I think their site is pretty up to date though. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

If I’m reading the web site correctly, I think they have 3 HH’s at the moment, one white and one each of the tobacco’s with different fingerboards.

The others are showing as available to order/usually available within 5 days, which I take to mean Strings & Things can supply them in that time.

Well I'm still waiting for word on my 5HH Cruz teal - on order since 14/4/18 - so they haven't got them all - there was clearly a build up of stock since June but only those ordered as stock - neither of mine figured in the order which was being placed and were added to Andertons' order. So don't expect too much from stock. 

4 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

Fabulous - and well done. What did you think of the feel of the neck - I'm blown away by mine.

And the EQ? The mid control to my ears is completely revoiced - with perhaps full blast being closer to centre detent on the previous 3 band. The treble and bass have more than the previous 3 band. I'm really liking it but to me it is different rather than likely to replace my SR4HH. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Fabulous - and well done. What did you think of the feel of the neck - I'm blown away by mine.

And the EQ? The mid control to my ears is completely revoiced - with perhaps full blast being closer to centre detent on the previous 3 band. The treble and bass have more than the previous 3 band. I'm really liking it but to me it is different rather than likely to replace my SR4HH. 

Oh my gosh, that neck!!!! It’s hands down the nicest neck I’ve had, it instantly felt like home. I thought my old Lull’s had the nicest necks, but this one tops them. 

Yes, the EQ is pretty much as you described on mine, it feels more ‘usable’ in that with my old Ray is mostly set and forget, but this one seems to dial in more options.The mid is like you said earlier, the centre point is like the old one dialled down some, and the maximum on mine  is like the old one on about 80%-ish at a guess. It’s early days though, and I mostly played the bridge pickup tooay and some position 4, which I think is inner coils. I’ve got two days on it before I go away for a couple of weeks, so best get some playing in this weekend! 

I was hoping to sell my white Ray, as part of my payback plan. But like you said, I’m not sure this replaces it, and that white one is special (it must be, as I don’t like owning white basses :) ) so the jury is out right now. 

47 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Plus, they absolutely look great together. A bit of a yin yang thing going on there.

As much as I want to try one of these new Special's, I think I should be aiming for an HH and their availability (or lack of) has kind of put my GAS in check. I was going to go and look at an H over the weekend, but I think I had probably better not as I know I'll end up buying it and it's not actually what I want. I'll just have to be patient. Not my strong suit, but hopefully it will be worth it. ProMusicTools have a Burnt Apple HH coming in, but it's £2669!

Wow, £2699, that’s much much more than anywhere else isn’t it? You’re right to wait, they are so nice that I’d have possibly walked away with an H if I clicked with one and the HH wasn’t there, lucky I didn’t as I love some of the other pickup positions. 

The Ying Yang vibe  is pretty cool. I’m selling my Old Smoothie to clear a bit of debt and because I didn’t feel like I needed two Rays, so instead  Yesterday I get into more debt and buy more Rays!!!! So time will tell if it stays or not, it won’t be a hasty decision. 

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

As much as I want to try one of these new Special's, I think I should be aiming for an HH and their availability (or lack of) has kind of put my GAS in check. I was going to go and look at an H over the weekend, but I think I had probably better not as I know I'll end up buying it and it's not actually what I want. I'll just have to be patient. Not my strong suit, but hopefully it will be worth it.

This is my predicament this very morning. I’m after a 4HH but don’t fancy the white or sunburst models currently available at Andertons, so I’m visiting a local store that only has 4H models in stock.  Just for a look you understand 😃

• Haha 1

The special 5 string look like the neck is a titch wider than before. There seems to be a bit more room for the G string instead of it sitting right on the edge of the fret.

Not read anything about this but the photos do seem to suggest it.

Edited by miles'tone

6 hours ago, Deedee said:

This is my predicament this very morning. I’m after a 4HH but don’t fancy the white or sunburst models currently available at Andertons, so I’m visiting a local store that only has 4H models in stock.  Just for a look you understand 😃

.........well, resistance proved futile. 😔

This thing looks great, sounds amazing and plays beautifully.  I quickly came to the conclusion that I didn’t need a HH model.  😎

47074ED4-E3A9-4889-9D38-4901046BB3B2.jpeg

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 9

6 minutes ago, Deedee said:

This thing looks great, sounds amazing and plays beautifully.  I quickly came to the conclusion that I didn’t need a HH model.  😎

Nice one! 

I saw that bass’s twin there yesterday and had a little play, it was gorgeous. There is something so stylish and classic about a single H Ray, they look so much better. 👍

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 2

So, like a few Basschatters I popped along to Andertons to try the new MM Stingrays. Got a pass for the day. Yes! 

As always, the staff at Andertons were friendly and helpful - without being pushy. I've shopped there since 1984 and it's still my go to shop even though I now live on the South Coast. Managed to get a free two hour parking space over the road. Result! 

Thoughts:

• The necks are fantastic. Smooth and well fretted. Easy to play. 
  • The hardware (black matte) is spot on.
  • It sounds just like a MM should. 
  • The ones I tried (yellow and blue) were so light!!! The yellow was the lightest - about the same as my Matt Freeman p-bass. Wow. The blue one's neck was a bit chunkier - but only slightly. The yellow one just felt right. 

Tried a few other basses too - in comparison. A Fender Pro P-bass - nice but not as nice as my p-bass. Really. The Ibanez SR2605-CBB was rather good as was a G&L Tribute Kiloton which was rather powerful - even though it was passive. Nothing however was as good as the yellow Sitngray. In reality it is a more mellow yellow in colour. Looks more acid lemon in piccies, though. 

GAS-wise, although I would love to add one of these basses to my collection, there's hardly any GAS as there is no way that I can afford one of them. (Normally my GAS is around basses I can just about afford.) The Stingrays are so off the scale of affordability that I came away having enjoyed playing a few really good basses. Went and bought McCartney's new album in HMV (extended version) and listened to it a couple of times on the way home. I rather like it...glad I gave it a go. 

All in all a good day. IMG_4686.thumb.jpg.5795423c83d1a7a5339f19e1461e5b0f.jpgIMG_4688.thumb.JPG.340229f08ed6958d32d0347b38ea5b50.JPG

IMG_4689.jpg

Edited by Mister RLP
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Deedee said:

47074ED4-E3A9-4889-9D38-4901046BB3B2.jpeg

Fabulous - congratulations. These are really very fine instruments. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mister RLP said:

So, like a few Basschatters I popped along to Andertons to try the new MM Stingrays. Got a pass for the day. Yes! 

As always, the staff at Andertons were friendly and helpful - without being pushy. I've shopped there since 1984 and it's still my go to shop even though I now live on the South Coast. Managed to get a free two hour parking space over the road. Result! 

Thoughts:

• The necks are fantastic. Smooth and well fretted. Easy to play. 
  • The hardware (black matte) is spot on.
  • It sounds just like a MM should. 
  • The ones I tried (yellow and blue) were so light!!! The yellow was the lightest - about the same as my Matt Freeman p-bass. Wow. The blue one's neck was a bit chunkier - but only slightly. The yellow one just felt right. 

Tried a few other basses too - in comparison. A Fender Pro P-bass - nice but not as nice as my p-bass. Really. The Ibanez SR2605-CBB was rather good as was a G&L Tribute Kiloton which was rather powerful - even though it was passive. Nothing however was as good as the yellow Sitngray. In reality it is a more mellow yellow in colour. Looks more acid lemon in piccies, though. 

GAS-wise, although I would love to add one of these basses to my collection, there's hardly any GAS as there is no way that I can afford one of them. (Normally my GAS is around basses I can just about afford.) The Stingrays are so off the scale of affordability that I came away having enjoyed playing a few really good basses. Went and bought McCartney's new album in HMV (extended version) and listened to it a couple of times on the way home. I rather like it...glad I gave it a go. 

All in all a good day. IMG_4686.thumb.jpg.5795423c83d1a7a5339f19e1461e5b0f.jpgIMG_4688.thumb.JPG.340229f08ed6958d32d0347b38ea5b50.JPG

IMG_4689.jpg

Glad you enjoyed your day out. Love that yellow - as you say it's bright but doesn't stand out quite so much in the flesh as it were. I'm thinking a 5 would look stunning in that with black scratch plate. 

Edited by drTStingray