Why become a member? ×

NBD: Classic Charvel Pointiness!!

Old Horse Murphy

I picked this up yesterday. It’s Charvel 1B from 1987 and considering its age, it’s in super overall condition. 

I was never brave enough and far too cool to own one of these when they were popular, but now I’m older and no longer give a stinky poo, it’s the perfect time to have one! My poor band may think otherwise. 

I forgot just how good these bolt on Charvel necks are: it’s incredibly comfortable and I’ve been able to get a seriously low action on it. It also doh said great too and the reverse P pickup is a great variation.  

Now, where’s my hairspray?

3B4E8A72-A6F3-4118-B219-6CF8092435D8.jpeg

01C8A18C-86CB-4294-A90E-3EFA37149725.jpeg

78A722BB-5572-4F6A-A4F5-7693A27795B4.jpeg

5D97A54B-497B-4221-A227-F27C1D762110.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 7

Thanks chaps. I’m really impressed with it and it’s a joy to play. I think I’ll gig with it tomorrow night and see how I get on. I’m beginning to see what a number of people say the P bass pickup works well the other way round

All I need now is a studded leather strap for it 

• Like 1

My old guitarist mate, back in the very early 90's when we were just wee lads had a red Charvelle. I was so jealous with my boring black on black cheap J bass replica. I'm still scarred by the injustice. Give me a pointy headstock any day over a boring standard "Fender" shaped one. I still loathe the J/P bass Jodril Bank sized tuners to this day. 

• Like 1

I had a black one of these from about 1991-1994 and loved it. 

I gigged it loads and recorded a demo on it with my band at the time and it was great for the sort of funk/rock we were doing (think Saigon Kick, Extreme etc). 

Its a bass I've often thought I'd like to have kept. 

Well done! 

IMG_0875.PNG

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 2

I bought one of these cheap, when my bass was nicked, back in the late 80s. Same colour too.

It had the Jazz pickup as well as the P one.

I loved the sound - so punchy.

But eventually I managed to save for a Yamaha and the Charvel had to go (too much headstock pointiness).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gjones said:

I bought one of these cheap, when my bass was nicked, back in the late 80s. Same colour too.

It had the Jazz pickup as well as the P one.

I loved the sound - so punchy.

But eventually I managed to save for a Yamaha and the Charvel had to go (too much headstock pointiness).

Same here - I traded in mine for a P bass eventually. After the arrival of grunge the pointy head seemed a bit much. 

Id happily use it now tho. Was a good bass. 

• Like 1

I gigged it today and it sounded fantastic and is one of the easiest basses I’ve ever played. The neck and action is to die for.

I had more comments about this bass than any others I’ve played too: there’s a lot of love for pointy headstocks and it was great to see people remembering back to the 80’s :)

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I gigged it today and it sounded fantastic and is one of the easiest basses I’ve ever played. The neck and action is to die for.

I had more comments about this bass than any others I’ve played too: there’s a lot of love for pointy headstocks and it was great to see people remembering back to the 80’s :)

Now you just need a long black wig to bring back "the look". 😋

• Haha 1

On 01/09/2018 at 16:07, Old Horse Murphy said:

I’m beginning to see what a number of people say the P bass pickup works well the other way round

Yup, tighter low E string sound for a more even tone. One of the many reasons I love my Spectors....

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dudewheresmybass said:

Love my pointies 😉

At the last count, there are 4 bc rich, and one Kramer. 

I bet @cetera could trump that though 😉

Just.... ;)
Jackson Kip Winger, Jackson Thunderbird, Jackson Concert, Kramer Forum 1, Kramer Ferrington, Fernandes Thunderbird & Fernandes PJ50 😂

• Like 1