Why become a member? ×

Overplaying.

bubinga5

On 03/09/2018 at 12:39, MacDaddy said:

It's about time someone mentioned Norm, and the Rhythm Stick bass line.

A case of more is more. That song would not work as well without a busy bass line.

More isn't more... in that case it's perfect. See also "What is Hip?"

Now take that playing approach on Carole King's "You've Got a Friend" or Joni Mitchell's "River" and you've got a whole different result.

As others have said, context is everything when it comes to overplaying or not.

17 hours ago, mic mac moe said:

The organist at my church sneaks in movie soundtracks, in between hymns!! 😆 

I used to play "Name that tune" with the organist at my old church. He was a keys player in a number of bands around the local circuit so would slip some apposite tunes into the offering music disguised in classical organ music clothing. Some faves I recall for the offering were "Money" by Pink Floyd a la Saint Saens, "Money Makes The World Go Round" by JS Bach, "Money Money Money" in the style of Handel and a Bach meets Alan Parsons Project medley which he swore before the service that I'd never suss out...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

I used to play "Name that tune" with the organist at my old church. He was a keys player in a number of bands around the local circuit so would slip some apposite tunes into the offering music disguised in classical organ music clothing. Some faves I recall for the offering were "Money" by Pink Floyd a la Saint Saens, "Money Makes The World Go Round" by JS Bach, "Money Money Money" in the style of Handel and a Bach meets Alan Parsons Project medley which he swore before the service that I'd never suss out...

Our lad has gotten away with the Inception soundtrack, I know that! He writes and records a lot of his own techno stuff so I'm certain he's done some of that too! 

• Like 1

The whole context thing for overplaying is fascinating - I think about it a lot in the context of playing at church. There are a couple of fave tunes we do which are heavy with driving 16th notes and work really well (IMHO).  However, these are melodically simple lines and tend to use the busy approach during sections of songs allowing dynamics across the song. Here are the ones I'm thinking of...

However, there are some which are just a dog's breakfast of overplaying where the bassist thinks he's Rocco Prestia and sprays 16th notes liberally all over the track whether they're needed or appropriate or not. This is my personal pet peeve offender. The bass "solo" on the build up to the bridge is just daft and OTT...When we do this tune my bass line is NOTHING like this...

Goodness gracious; t'ain't like that at any church I've ever been in..! It's all just playing the crowd, just like any of the adverts on 'telly. Overplaying..? Any more than a wheezing pedalled harmonium is overkill, in my (admittedly heathen...) book. The Grand Organ in the cathedrals are equally 'guilty' of gilding the lily, too, with their Toccatas and Messes. To me, it's all about manipulation of the Mass; it takes what it takes. One plays what's needed for the occasion, and if there's an electric band doing their stuff, it's part of having an electric band. If it's to be 'soft-pedalled', use an acoustic and strum, s'all, I'd say. The 'shows' in the videos above have very little ecclesiastical content, in my view.

7 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Goodness gracious; t'ain't like that at any church I've ever been in..! It's all just playing the crowd, just like any of the adverts on 'telly. Overplaying..? Any more than a wheezing pedalled harmonium is overkill, in my (admittedly heathen...) book. The Grand Organ in the cathedrals are equally 'guilty' of gilding the lily, too, with their Toccatas and Messes. To me, it's all about manipulation of the Mass; it takes what it takes. One plays what's needed for the occasion, and if there's an electric band doing their stuff, it's part of having an electric band. If it's to be 'soft-pedalled', use an acoustic and strum, s'all, I'd say. The 'shows' in the videos above have very little ecclesiastical content, in my view.

Hey, man, you' gotta get hep to the beat and mooov with the times, daddio! Dig it? 

Thing have moved a long way from the Book of Common Prayer and Charles Wesley hymns (I still love a bit of Wes and a male voice choir, though!). That said... our church is nowhere near as OTT, stadium rock and ridiculously over-caffeinated as those ones... we still rock those songs, though.

• Like 1

On 06/09/2018 at 13:27, Dad3353 said:

Spotted this while out shopping today... looks like the Anglican Church in the middle of Guildford are even throwing a few Nirvana hits into their services these days!

5998D750-C8E6-4289-94E8-2CC8D92680AD.thumb.jpeg.147f0eca05e25eeaac7825f37a6ee7eb.jpeg

• Haha 3

• 3 years later...