Why become a member? ×

Overplaying.

bubinga5

Just spotted this. Im sure the more experienced musicians out there are very aware. But some may not be. A good well thought out vid on why your place is your place and why your favourite licks are best kept for moments in a song.. Too many voices trying to put a point across in a conversation never works. 

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In 1995 I attended a church worship workshop headed up by Don Moen ( who leads this video) and got to chat to him - he is a really nice guy and very tuned in to what works in a church environment.  The "Less Is More" phrase is often used by those of us who are not good enough to play more (!) but is well worth keeping in mind for congregational singing.

I play in the church band about once a month and our job is to help the 100+ congregation raise their voices as one - all singing in time and from the same hymn sheet!  I keep my bass playing simple (I am still getting used to playing in a band) with just the odd fill-in as the songs build.  Playing for a church service is a different kettle of fish than performing to entertain.

Don is very well known and respected in the contemporary Christian music world and has written many modern worship songs.  In The USA he can fill football stadiums and mega-churches with people. At the workshop I was at in Glasgow the choir he had outnumbered our church membership!  This is a good video to remind us that sometimes we need to hold back to benefit the songs.

4 hours ago, Les said:

That was good and gets the point over. Great band.

I play bass in a church band, and tbh, I felt a little guilty watching this video.  But having said that, it’s also very important to play to the song's words.  Our worship leader 'controls' this using a range of subtle hand signals.  (No wisecracks necessary, the hand signals are polite!🙂)

Edited by Baxlin
  • Like 1

I think the key here is that when the keys and electric overplayed on their own it sounded great and improved a bit of a bland song - when they all did it it was awful. In church bands there is a problem of musicians wanting to show off and not having learned the ability to listen and leave space for others

• Like 4

I recall popping into The Old Duke in Bristol many moons ago on one of their jazz nights. There was a band playing and it quickly became apparent that the bassist (old Fender Jazz, sounded glorious) was, shall we say, a bijou bit busy. They took solos, bassist went first and credit where it's due, he was awesome. Then the sax took a solo... and the bassist kept soloing... drummer next... yup, bass was still going... he trampled on everything. By the end of the tune I just wanted him to FSTFU. 

• Haha 2