Why become a member? ×

Power Amp Users

la bam

one of my ideas is to have a 'bridge cable' to power my 6x10 (running the amp in bridged mode) and a normal speakon to run at 300w (in normal mode) to power a smaller cab, say a 1x15.

That way one amp kind of becomes an amp suitable for different cabs without underpowering or overpowering them.

My preamp arrived today.

I've tried connecting it to bypass the preamp on. Ashdown evo iv, but can't seem to do it? I've tried all combinations of sends and returns, but no joy?

The unit works fine as does the amp, and works in line fine, but can't seem to bypass?

Any ideas?

So, the output of the new preamp connects to the FX return on the Evo. Don't forget to turn up the master volume on the amp as well as the preamp! Don't forget to unmute too!

Edited by Dood

27 minutes ago, la bam said:

My preamp arrived today.

I've tried connecting it to bypass the preamp on. Ashdown evo iv, but can't seem to do it? I've tried all combinations of sends and returns, but no joy?

The unit works fine as does the amp, and works in line fine, but can't seem to bypass?

Any ideas?

Yep. 

Turn everything off and turn all the volumes down.  Just in case you felt like skipping over this, I'll repeat.  Turn everything off and turn the volumes down.

Plug your bass into the pre-stage and then plug the pre-stage into the effects return on the Ashdown.  Next (and this might sound weird), if you have a spare jack-plug or even one of those headphone mini-jack to 1/4" jack-plug adaptors, plug this into the normal input jack socket on the Ashdown (where you'd normally plug the bass in).  Turn everything on. This should work.

There you go.

5 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

Yep. 

Turn everything off and turn all the volumes down.  Just in case you felt like skipping over this, I'll repeat.  Turn everything off and turn the volumes down.

Plug your bass into the pre-stage and then plug the pre-stage into the effects return on the Ashdown.  Next (and this might sound weird), if you have a spare jack-plug or even one of those headphone mini-jack to 1/4" jack-plug adaptors, plug this into the normal input jack socket on the Ashdown (where you'd normally plug the bass in).  Turn everything on. This should work.

There you go.

works a treat, thanks.

I've plumbed my new Crown 1502 into its rack along with BBE amp and DBX compressor.

Tried it first as a single channel into my Markbass 102 and huge Yamaha/15"Precision Devices cab. Didn't seem any louder than with the Marshall, just noticeably less noisy.

Then I tried it bridged into the 2 cabs, very loud, very clean - could hear every nuance of the effects board.

Then I tried it as input Y with ch1 to the 102 and ch 2 to the Y/PD15, with high pass on 1 above 100Hz and low pass below 300Hz on 2. Lawks! Bit louder than the Marshall could go, but incredibly clean, almost hifi. And there's virtually no hum at all, even with the Crown turned up to 3/4 on both channels and the BBE on 1/2. The only noise not being produced by the bass was a very slight hiss from the pedals which I could never hear before. I like it...

On 07/09/2018 at 16:14, Leonard Smalls said:

I've plumbed my new Crown 1502 into its rack along with BBE amp and DBX compressor.

Tried it first as a single channel into my Markbass 102 and huge Yamaha/15"Precision Devices cab. Didn't seem any louder than with the Marshall, just noticeably less noisy.

Then I tried it bridged into the 2 cabs, very loud, very clean - could hear every nuance of the effects board.

Then I tried it as input Y with ch1 to the 102 and ch 2 to the Y/PD15, with high pass on 1 above 100Hz and low pass below 300Hz on 2. Lawks! Bit louder than the Marshall could go, but incredibly clean, almost hifi. And there's virtually no hum at all, even with the Crown turned up to 3/4 on both channels and the BBE on 1/2. The only noise not being produced by the bass was a very slight hiss from the pedals which I could never hear before. I like it...

Glad you like it. I have never tried my Crown 1002 in biamp mode, partly because I wanted a loud one cab solution (with Barefaced Super 12) and unbridged it gives considerably lower output..but will definitely give it a try now, with a pair of Vanderkleys. 

• 8 months later...
On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 16:23, BassManGraham said:

Hope pic helps, cheers Graham 

20180901_162136.jpg

20180901_161937.jpg

This is exactly my set up mate but using the VT version rack and it sounds absolutely awesome through 2 x super compacts....and all super light and powerful too

On 31/08/2018 at 18:13, Dood said:

Switch to Stereo and plug in a preamp like the Line 6 Helix and you can run full stereo sounds using a cabinet plugged in to each output and the Left and Right Helix outputs plugged in to Channels A and B respectively.

I have no experience of this in a gig situation, but it's worth noting that most decent chorus pedals have a stereo output that creates a really nice effect. Just make sure you send stereo to the PA as well (and that it's the right way round).

17 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I have no experience of this in a gig situation, but it's worth noting that most decent chorus pedals have a stereo output that creates a really nice effect. Just make sure you send stereo to the PA as well (and that it's the right way round).

Yes and whilst you’ll get signal, the reason why I mentioned “preamp” is that the instrument level signal from the chorus pedal might not be “hot” enough to drive a power amplifier (expecting line level signals) to its full potential.  The disclaimer being that A you might not need to drive the amp to full tilt  or B. Some power amplifiers can receive instrument level signals (can provide enough gain to get the input level up high enough).

It will work though and will sound great in stereo. Yes, you could insert a stereo DI box in between the pedal and amp enabling the two channels to be picked off to a stereo PA. Though I know that there will be thoughts being shared about running a stereo PA, but that’s a story for another day!

This thread has piqued* my interest!

I have a Laney Pro-Bass head from the early 80s, one of the very early ones that doesn't even have a power output marked on it (s/n 1601, very crudely scratched on it!)

It's a shameless rip-off of a Trace Elliot with overload LEDs, pre-shape, parametric EQ, 11-band EQ, cheesy compressor (it's worst feature), pre-post FX loops, DI and extra FX loop on the power amp.

I actually like the sound and it's immense flexibility this gives, but it needs to be dialled for 'pub gig' volumes and then it become easy for things to get 'farty' - it hasn't really got enough headroom.

I'm looking at getting/making a more efficient 300W 1x12 cab to replace one of my two guitar-oriented 2x12 120W cabs.

Now this thread has me wondering about ripping out (carefully removing and putting in a safe place) the Laney power amp and PSU, and fitting a SMPSU and a 300 to 500W D-class module with  fan cooling (because it's in a big 3/4" ply box).

Any thoughts on suitable modules - I assume the ones on eBay for about £17 are not the ideal solution, but at what price point do they become robust and reliable?

*Actually I was just looking for an excuse to use the most miss-spelled word on the whole internet!