Why become a member? ×

Real or epiphone?

Twincam

It's  a Gibson!  Two quick ways to tell A. Bridge placement B. Neck heel. With the Gibson, The Bridge is further back and they have a rounded heel. Epi Bridge is closer to the Bridge pickup volume pot, and the heel is almost squared.

Also, this real or Epi thing is a bit off, my Classic Pro plays better than the Gibson I tried.

Edited by pst62
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pst62 said:

It's  a Gibson!  Two quick ways to tell A. Bridge placement B. Neck heel. With the Gibson, The Bridge is further back and they have a rounded heel. Epi Bridge is closer to the Bridge pickup volume pot, and the heel is almost squared.

Also, this real or Epi thing is a bit off, my Classic Pro plays better than the Gibson I tried.

That's a good bit of knowledge to have.

I also tried the Gibson and had briefly a epi pro. And they were pretty similar. Although I did feel the Gibson was slightly nicer made. Not to the degree of the price difference in my opinion. 

• Thanks 1

I would say so. White thunderbirds aren't that rare, and generally go for that sort of price, in average condition for the year.  A neck break normally reduces the price, even if it isn't all the way though (and it is hard to say on a painted one how bad it is).

Sometimes though if you are prepared to wait you can find the buyer for stuff.

A bit late, yes it is a real one, another couple of ways to tell are the pick guard screws, one lines up closely with the righthand line of the birds tail on the Gibson, the Epiphone one is off by about 10mm. If you look for tell tail fingerprints through the lacquer at the wing/body join, the Gibson has a vee joint and the Epiphone is a straight butt joint. The wings join the body at the 15th fret on the Gibson, on the Epi it joins at 16.

That neck break looks like an unrepaired crack to me, typical of the Gibson, it's a poor design that should have been rectified, I do like Gibsons but that one needs addressing