Why become a member? ×

Bass Bashes

Jabba_the_gut

Just a quick note for anyone thinking about attending any of the Bass Bashes listed in this section - go!

The Bass Bashes are informal get togethers of all things bass with people of all abilities with all types of gear. Don't be put off going if you think that they will be dominated by exceptionally talented folk continually slapping on boutique basses as that isn't the case (there will be boutique basses and a bit of slapping but there is more to the bashes). Folk turn up will all sorts of gear and its a great opportunity to try different kit and put faces to the names seen on here. I've met some great folks of all abilities at these and picked up lots of useful info. I've tried lots of basses I wouldn't normally get the opportunity to try and discovered I dislike some I've previously drooled over and really liked others I've dismissed!!

For info, I don't play in a band, I'm not a particularly good bassist, I can't read music, I can't slap but I have a pretty decent amp and I make my own basses.

If you're thinking about it, try to come along to one if you can. It's great that someone organises these and attendance will reward their efforts and ensure these events keep going.

Hope to see you there!

And there's usually cake too.....

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

In full agreement with Jez on this.

I've really enjoyed every Bash I've attended and was so inspired by the SE Bash that we organised The Herts Bash off the back of it.

Organising a Bash is a lot of work, hiring a venue, arranging speakers, Raffle prizes, arranging Teas/ Coffees/etc and food/cake (normally courtesy of our partners). To arrange the Herts Bash generally cost me personally over £100 and every penny raised went to our charity of choice. Raffle prizes are usually worth more than the cost of the tickets and everybody wins at least once.

As Jez says, the level of ability varies from beginners to exceptional, novice to experienced. This means that you can share knowledge - either helping less experienced players or picking up tips. The seminar subject matter vary from knowledge bas(s)ed to just a bit of fun. We have had some great speakers - just look back at previous threads.

The cost of these events - generally £10 - is incredible value. Where else can you spend a day checking out gear and talking bass without fear of ridicule?

With these events happening only a couple of times a year, you really should take advantage of them when they're on... 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/08/2018 at 19:57, TheGreek said:

In full agreement with Jez on this.

I've really enjoyed every Bash I've attended and was so inspired by the SE Bash that we organised The Herts Bash off the back of it.

Organising a Bash is a lot of work, hiring a venue, arranging speakers, Raffle prizes, arranging Teas/ Coffees/etc and food/cake (normally courtesy of our partners). To arrange the Herts Bash generally cost me personally over £100 and every penny raised went to our charity of choice. Raffle prizes are usually worth more than the cost of the tickets and everybody wins at least once.

As Jez says, the level of ability varies from beginners to exceptional, novice to experienced. This means that you can share knowledge - either helping less experienced players or picking up tips. The seminar subject matter vary from knowledge bas(s)ed to just a bit of fun. We have had some great speakers - just look back at previous threads.

The cost of these events - generally £10 - is incredible value. Where else can you spend a day checking out gear and talking bass without fear of ridicule?

With these events happening only a couple of times a year, you really should take advantage of them when they're on... 

When’s the next Herts one? I have to get to one soon! 👍🏻

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:28, Jabba_the_gut said:

For info, I don't play in a band, I'm not a particularly good bassist, I can't read music, I can't slap but I have a pretty decent amp and I make my own basses.

And bloody lovely they are too.

and I still owe you a chunk of reclaimed mahogany, I believe... *embarrassed*

• Like 1

The South West Bass Bashes organized by @scrumpymike have been roaring successes so far (next year will be #3, I believe..?), thanks mainly to his superb organisation and the simply a-m-a-z-I-n-g  spread of grub put on by Mrs Scrumpymike and her band of elves. I couldn't make it this year, but wild horses will not keep me from the 2019 one.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

On 30/08/2018 at 18:28, Jabba_the_gut said:

Just a quick note for anyone thinking about attending any of the Bass Bashes listed in this section - go!

The Bass Bashes are informal get togethers of all things bass with people of all abilities with all types of gear. Don't be put off going if you think that they will be dominated by exceptionally talented folk continually slapping on boutique basses as that isn't the case (there will be boutique basses and a bit of slapping but there is more to the bashes). Folk turn up will all sorts of gear and its a great opportunity to try different kit and put faces to the names seen on here. I've met some great folks of all abilities at these and picked up lots of useful info. I've tried lots of basses I wouldn't normally get the opportunity to try and discovered I dislike some I've previously drooled over and really liked others I've dismissed!!

If you're thinking about it, try to come along to one if you can. It's great that someone organises these and attendance will reward their efforts and ensure these events keep going.

Hope to see you there!

And there's usually cake too.....

I totally agree with @Jabba_the_gut. This year’s SEBB was my first and, as a foul-mouthed anti social misanthropist, I was quite nervous of attending, not just because of my borderline personality disorders but also for exactly the reasons @Jabba_the_gut mentioned...

...if you think that they will be dominated by exceptionally talented folk continually slapping on boutique basses.

I do play in a band but I’m not a very good player, I dont read music nor do I slap yet I was made to feel very welcome despite only having one little amp and one little bass. Everyone was really friendly and I was surprised just how many people were interested in my little bass! Seriously I arrived and sat in the car park watching folk unload their gear and I almost drove back home, what an idiot. I had a top time with some genuinely lovely folk and I had a chance to drool over many, many gorgeous basses. The most difficult part of the day was stopping myself chinning @Jabba_the_gut and runnng off with one a bass he’s built and that I’ve fallen in love with.

If you are sweating it, don’t, just go, you’ll have a time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...