Why become a member? ×

Gig bag recommendations...

carlsim

Hi all, looking for some recommendations on gig bags. My MM SR5 likes its hard case but I like something easier to carry. It's been in a cheap gig bag for a while but it is now time to treat it to a nice new plush home. I was looking at the Mono bass sleeve, but is it really worth £120?

I quite like the gator progo which is a bit cheaper, otherwise I don't know where else to look. Music shops near me only have cheap ones and online you can only guage so much.

So BC'ers... what do you have and what do you think?

I have had expensive gig bags in the past but now use TGI Extreme ones.  They don't quite offer the same protection as the Mono bags but then they are £40 and, at that price point, better than anything else I have tried.  I'd say, value for money, they are hard to beat and if it is just to be used for loading in/out the car as opposed to being abused in a van then it is more than good enough. 

https://www.normans.co.uk/product/tgi-extreme-series-electric-bass-guitar-gigbag

The Gator Pro Go bags are excellent - loads of storage and great protection and as Paul S says above the TGI Extremes are brilliant value for money - i use both.

But the best value at the moment are these on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Blake-Bravo-Bass-Guitar-Case-Brand-New/253660672423?hash=item3b0f5ab1a7:g:jsIAAOSwWfdbEEvn

(its a manufacturer thats gone under but a load of resellers picked remaining stock up at auction and are moving them on - theres nothing around for under £80 that will touch them)

15 hours ago, Mudpup said:

The Gator Pro Go bags are excellent - loads of storage and great protection and as Paul S says above the TGI Extremes are brilliant value for money - i use both.

But the best value at the moment are these on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Original-Blake-Bravo-Bass-Guitar-Case-Brand-New/253660672423?hash=item3b0f5ab1a7:g:jsIAAOSwWfdbEEvn

(its a manufacturer thats gone under but a load of resellers picked remaining stock up at auction and are moving them on - theres nothing around for under £80 that will touch them)

I picked up one of these Blake Bravos a couple of weeks ago for my US standard Jazz. Actually,  I got it for £23 from a private seller who was auctioning it off as new and unused.

Very good bag. Incredibly well padded with a lovely plush interior. Also had a separate internal nylon cover for the bass which I haven't quite worked out what to do with. But it is big and quite heavy. Not as much as my Hiscox hard case but it's not far off. Really it's not. I'm wondering whether my original eBay seller didn't get this and, when he saw it, thought "whoa". Then flogged it off without even unpacking it properly.

I'd say try before you buy but that's not really practical. But it is a great bag.

Yeah, they do look like great bags but I think I am hoping to get something a bit more streamlined... this is why I was looking at the mono sleeve.

Some mentioned to me the GruvGear sliver... slightly scaled down version of the gigblade 2... still unsure really!

Choices look like:

Bass sleeve (although not much space for additional items...)
GruvGear Sliver - i like this as it has a long pocket for a strap...
Gator ProGo - can't go too far wrong with Gator!
TGI extreme - cheaper end but still very good?

Any other recommendations?

2 hours ago, AdrianP said:

I picked up one of these Blake Bravos a couple of weeks ago for my US standard Jazz. Actually,  I got it for £23 from a private seller who was auctioning it off as new and unused.

Very good bag. Incredibly well padded with a lovely plush interior. Also had a separate internal nylon cover for the bass which I haven't quite worked out what to do with. But it is big and quite heavy. Not as much as my Hiscox hard case but it's not far off. Really it's not. I'm wondering whether my original eBay seller didn't get this and, when he saw it, thought "whoa". Then flogged it off without even unpacking it properly.

I'd say try before you buy but that's not really practical. But it is a great bag.

When the company went under they were all sent to an auction house in Scotland and sold there at about £8/9 each!!!! Thats why they were so cheap on eBay - most of the people that bought them to sell on were just resellers who didn't really know how good they were....

Edited by Mudpup

I'm still not convinced by the semi-rigid gig bags like the Mono. 

As others have discovered many of them are as big and almost as heavy as a Hiscox Case. I have a Mono M80 and as a case for protecting the bass inside it is great, but as a gig bag not so good. I find it very uncomfortable to wear for more than a few minutes, and it's certainly not a pleasant experience wearing it on the 30 minute walk from where I live to the rehearsal rooms in town.

I wouldn't buy another case of that type without trying it with my bass and everything else I wanted to put in it first.

I have taken a punt based on reviews on the GruvGear Gigblade Sliver... looks to be a slimline version of the GigBlade 2 and it can't be all that bad! 

Pricey, but I wanted something good around a ton so I am hoping this fits the bill!

Will feedback when it arrives... thanks all for the comments - very much appreciated.

Bit late now, but I'll just add a +1 to the TGI Extreme.

I can't fit a hard case in the car, so was forced into gig bag-dom. After some research on here, went for one of these....great price, great protection. Bass is only going from car to venue/rehearsal, so more than adequate.

Good luck with your new purchase! 😀

4 hours ago, carlsim said:

I have taken a punt based on reviews on the GruvGear Gigblade Sliver... looks to be a slimline version of the GigBlade 2 and it can't be all that bad! 

Pricey, but I wanted something good around a ton so I am hoping this fits the bill!

Will feedback when it arrives... thanks all for the comments - very much appreciated.

I’d love to read a review of it when it arrives. Good luck!

+1 for Fusion and also the Protec Contego (heavier with less pocket space but a bit more rigid in terms of protection).  I didn't have great experiences with the Mono M80 as I found that the straps would constantly slip, and also my bass strap button wore through the bottom of the case (which Mono deemed wear and tear so wouldn't replace under warranty, though they did offer to pay for a cobbler to repair). 

1 hour ago, countjodius said:

+1 for Fusion and also the Protec Contego (heavier with less pocket space but a bit more rigid in terms of protection).  I didn't have great experiences with the Mono M80 as I found that the straps would constantly slip, and also my bass strap button wore through the bottom of the case (which Mono deemed wear and tear so wouldn't replace under warranty, though they did offer to pay for a cobbler to repair). 

I managed to pick one up second hand. A bit battered and grotty but it still does what it was made to do. Can't remember exactly what it cost but IIRC it wasn't a lot.

On 31/08/2018 at 14:05, carlsim said:

How are you finding your gigbag - I'm also looking for a gig bag - 

I Have few manufacturers bags that came with the guitars I've bought but they are of varying quality. I'm going to store them and have one decent quality bag with good pocket space.  Ideally one I could slip a class D amp head into.

I thought gruv gear gigblade looked good but perhaps short on pocket space.

I just need to get it in and out of the car, I won't be carrying it much so heft and bulk less of a concern that protection and storage.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

Well, I got the gigblade sliver... This is a lot more streamlined than the gigblade 2 and storage isn't anywhere near as plentiful... I can fit it a couple of leads, strap plus a few little bits, although the bass is well protected and feels really snug. 

I like the side carry and use that option all the time. It feels like a very well made bit of kit, and I feel confident it will last. I wanted a streamlined gigbag and it was either this or the mono sleeve. I didn't get a chance to look at a sleeve but don't regret my choice. I don't think either is full of storage but I have a rucksack for the extra bits...

By the way, Amazon basics photography backpacks are great for this and only cost £20-£30!!

I'm sure there are cheaper options but I had the cash and wanted something plush and I got that with the gigblade...😊

• Like 1

I went ahead and ordered a Blade Bravo case from ebay - just shy of £45 with the minimal discount I got through the best offers.  It looks bulky but reviews were good the big front pockets looked useful for my needs.

I also looked into the Fusion bags - I liked the Fuse On concept, but for a full set up you're looking at almost £250 for gig bag and accessories bag.  I shall check out the photography backpacks as a cheap alternative - that is a great idea!!

• Like 1

On 31/08/2018 at 17:50, spongebob said:

Bit late now, but I'll just add a +1 to the TGI Extreme.

I can't fit a hard case in the car, so was forced into gig bag-dom. After some research on here, went for one of these....great price, great protection. Bass is only going from car to venue/rehearsal, so more than adequate.

Good luck with your new purchase! 😀

Same with me and nearly 2 and a half years later it is still in excellent condition. I bought one of the Blake cases but it was absolutely ginormous so it went with a bass I was selling and I kept the TGI for my Sterling

For cables I found this - It's a bag for lights so has a central divider. Strap and cables etc that I use all the time go in one side and spares cables, screwdriver etc go in the other and batteries for the bass and wireless live in the front pocket

Edited by Delberthot